• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Natural Resources

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tamaria

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 2:50 am Reply with quote
Quote:

To be fair the girls of wild arms wore appropriate attire for it's wild west theme. Rebecca from wild arms 5 comes to mind given her get-up but again it fits the theme. I would rather be talking about the new possibilities of a wild arms game as well. Instead I'm stuck having to weed through comments to quote on because I don't want to take part in that discussion.

Yep, Rebecca is probably the worst case scenario for Wild Arms girls and even her outfit is still pretty comfortable. It's one of the things I really like about the series. The artist(s) usually have some fun with the outfits to make them stand out, but the designs still make sense when looking at the context and purpose.

Quote:

Speaking of the ladies of Wild Arms, I'd to ask, would you like the protagonist of the next game-in-development to be female? We've had Virginia and Clarissa so far, and they were both good leaders.

I wouldn't mind having another female protagonist. There are so few of them and I like how Wild Arms handled them thus far. In both Virginia's and Clarissa's case there's a good balance between them being young women and being young women on a mission. And that's without shoehorning romantic (sub)plots in there. I've heard some people complain Virginia starts out too naive and insecure, but that's the point isn't it? Over the course of the game she matures a great deal, learns to put her idealism to good use and becomes a respectable leader. (Other female main characters in the series stand out as well. Raquel was awesome!)
|comicchaser|

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:28 am Reply with quote
Concerning the following part of that article (nice find btw.):
Quote:
I think the most interesting thing is that whenever the topic of Other M comes up on English-speaking sites or message boards, complaints often focus on Samus’ character, especially things like her submissiveness to Adam and her turning into some blubbering weakling at the sight of Ridley, who she’s fought countless times before.[...]
Anyway, I didn’t notice any of these common Western complaints on the Japanese sites I checked.

Actually you can find both of these points in certain reviews on those sites, though the submissiveness to Adam is indeed scarce as a topic and doesn't aim at the "woman takes orders from a man"-aspect (one has to mention though, that on amazon com the game has three times as many reviews as on the japanese amazon). What you really totally don't find is discussions about the game being sexist or complaints about her being sexualized via her appearance, as far as I can tell. Just doesn't seem to be really a hot topic there in gaming, which isn't much of a surprise I guess. There was one review which I remember, where the guy complained about the size of her breasts. But only because it didn't fit his preferences. So yeah…
Jave

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:36 pm Reply with quote
I went to 2chan to see what they were saying about this whole hubbub and found humorous results. No complaints about the high heels, but apparently we gaijin have a reputation for not liking the zero suit and preferring the Prime series of games because they're FPSs and some people were wondering what we thought of the reveal. Oh man, if they only knew Laughing
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Umm.......people like the Prime games because they are good games. They really aren't like you're average FPS games so thats not even a real point. Also the other Metriod games have I believe sold more here and been well received. I also don't think people hate the Zero Suit.

But hey, spin whatever narrative you like I guess.

Yeah hubbub is the perfect word for you to attempt to discredit this argument where you've had nothing to add.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Tamaria wrote:
I wouldn't mind having another female protagonist. There are so few of them and I like how Wild Arms handled them thus far. In both Virginia's and Clarissa's case there's a good balance between them being young women and being young women on a mission. And that's without shoehorning romantic (sub)plots in there. I've heard some people complain Virginia starts out too naive and insecure, but that's the point isn't it? Over the course of the game she matures a great deal, learns to put her idealism to good use and becomes a respectable leader. (Other female main characters in the series stand out as well. Raquel was awesome!)

Me neither. I'd love to see another leading lady too. Raquel was awesome, especially considering she had the most common sense of the four and the fact that she spoiler[wasn't afraid to die in the end]. She was definitely well written and I'm sure people considered her leagues better than Yulie (not that I have anything against Yulie mind you).
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Wonder how many people here actually played Bayonetta. Seems if enough people played, it wouldn't have trouble finding more funding.

This all kinda reminds us of the discussions whether the Star Wars prequels are in the spirit of the originals, albeit being from the same creator and there being a lot of other SW-related materials.
Paul Soth

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Brimfyre wrote:
Good day sir, I'm done with this shithole of a site.

And nothing of value was lost.
Jave

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:16 pm Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:
But hey, spin whatever narrative you like I guess.

Hey, don't shoot the messenger, I'm just telling you what they were saying Wink
AnimenexuS

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Better name for Natural Doctrine ,Zardoz It also sounds better then Todd
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 11 of 11