• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Natural Resources

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Brimfyre wrote:

How are robotic heels considered fap material? Or EVEN fan service for that matter?

Is this the scenario you have created in your head? You think people actually get sexual pleasure from Samus in robo heels?

Seriously, go outside.

Do you not know what high heels are designed to do?

The outfit is obviously fanservicey and people tend to object to the character's increasingly sexed-up outfits (I'm ignoring a person I disagree with politically's "she's always intended to be a hyper-feminine helpless man-dependent mewling sex kitten/mother figure" nonsense) given the character's history and portrayal. This sort of thing pops up every time they're like "hey here's samus" and she's in a skin-tight outfit posing in high heels showing you her T&A in a DC comics-style cover pose. Plenty of people find it annoying and a betrayal of the character. Surely you've seen it many times.

It isn't that that tough to figure out.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Masterful evasion of the question.

High heels are sexually charged articles of clothing. There is obvious sexuality in giving Samus high heels, which is completely stupid and pointless.

You fired an insult at him and he fired back. Ya kind relinquished the right to treat this like a serious discussion the second you did that.
Brimfyre

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Brimfyre wrote:

How are robotic heels considered fap material? Or EVEN fan service for that matter?

Is this the scenario you have created in your head? You think people actually get sexual pleasure from Samus in robo heels?

Seriously, go outside.

Do you not know what high heels are designed to do?

The outfit is obviously fanservicey and people tend to object to the character's increasingly sexed-up outfits (I'm ignoring a person I disagree with politically's "she's always intended to be a hyper-feminine helpless man-dependent mewling sex kitten/mother figure" nonsense) given the character's history and portrayal. This sort of thing pops up every time they're like "hey here's samus" and she's in a skin-tight outfit posing in high heels showing you her T&A in a DC comics-style cover pose. Plenty of people find it annoying and a betrayal of the character. Surely you've seen it many times.

It isn't that that tough to figure out.

That's fine if they even looked like high heels. They look like Rocket boots. Show me a pair of heels that looks anything like that and I'll shut up.

I'm not even talking about her Zero Suit. She has had that for so many years now it isn't even worth discussion. I wish she would change her outfit every no and again like she used to, but for better or worse that is how she looks like out of her suit according to Nintendo.

All I brought up and am talking about are her shoes, which are not offensive unless you are looking for something to complain about. You say they are sexual objects, I say they are meant to make people look taller ESPECIALLY in Asia. Lots of Asian girls wear heels to makes themselves taller. If you have been to Japan I would have thought you would have noticed that.
Mister Ryan Andrews

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Why are you two so pathetically desperate to defend your gratuitous fap fuel in a game that doesn't need it on a character who doesn't need it?

Why? That is seriously all I want to ask. Are you so sexless that you need to have gratuitous fanservice in everything?

Because I really want to know what motivates you to defend this bullshit like getting hard is SO IMPORTANT to your enjoyment of platform fighting game.

Wow, dude. You insisted this isn't like Samus, people are just saying 'actually it is' and provided evidence to showcase it. You don't have to resort to personal attacks just because you were proven wrong.

Zac wrote:
Plenty of people find it annoying and a betrayal of the character. Surely you've seen it many times.

Yeah, I've seen the arguments before, but they're unfounded and easily proven wrong with a huge mountain of official source material. Just because you don't like it doesn't make it "nonsense" though. I always feel creators know their character more about their work than people on the internet.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Mister Ryan Andrews wrote:

Yeah, I've seen the arguments before, but they're unfounded and easily proven wrong with a huge mountain of official source material. Just because you don't like it doesn't make it "nonsense" though. I always feel creators know their character more about their work than people on the internet.

The outfit is designed to be sexy. It's fanservice. People here are denying that high heels are supposed to be sexy at this point.

This is someone looking at green grass and saying "hey, the grass is green" and some dudes run out and deny it and flail around telling you how you're wrong and that grass isn't actually green you idiot etc.

Chagen always goes too far but some of you are being just as ridiculous in response.
Stall_19

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:48 pm Reply with quote
I haven't played many metroid games but high heels seem perfectly fine for Super Smash Bros. The game is pretty much pure fanservice anyways.
lostrune

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:02 pm Reply with quote
stall_19 wrote:
I haven't played many metroid games but high heels seem perfectly fine for Super Smash Bros. The game is pretty much pure fanservice anyways.

It is not an issue with Metroid so much as an odd perception of video games in general. The argument of 'it's not practical' is kinda a silly one that ignores the basic rule of suspension of disbelief. While it's true no one would wear high heels in combat in real life, fictional works are not real life. One could make the case for why Mario insists on fighting a dragon in some overalls rather than wear some combat armor and get a gun, or more realistic, call the police to report a kidnapping and let them deal with it Laughing

Practical designs are generally the most forgettable ones, like some generic army dude in camo gear. The job of any character designer is to make a character stand out and look memorable and look good. It is hard to do that if everyone has to wear the most practical outfit for combat. Then everyone looks the same. C'mon man, these are video games, they let us do things we CANT do in real life. And if that means wearing improbable clothing, then more power to them. I do like how people are arguing practicality in a game where Pikachu fights Mr. Game and Watch though Laughing
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Bunny ears and high heels is what metroid is all about? Sweet. Seems they are getting further and further away from the Chozo suit as time goes on. It is kinda outdated.

They need to put SA-X in Smash instead. That would be better fanservice than Zero Suit.

Conception 2, what do you say to the gamestop clerk who judges you at the checkout?
Brimfyre

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Mister Ryan Andrews wrote:

The outfit is designed to be sexy. It's fanservice. People here are denying that high heels are supposed to be sexy at this point.

This is someone looking at green grass and saying "hey, the grass is green" and some dudes run out and deny it and flail around telling you how you're wrong and that grass isn't actually green you idiot etc.

Chagen always goes too far but some of you are being just as ridiculous in response.

I'm not saying heels can't be sexy, but they aren't always sexy and these aren't heels.

Heels serve the function of making a woman taller and making her legs look more tone and sexier. That is what they accomplish.

How are Samus's "heels" making her calves look great? Her calves look great without them, ergo, the shoes are not meant to be sexy.

Such a silly conversation.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:30 pm Reply with quote
Shadowrun20XX wrote:

Conception 2, what do you say to the gamestop clerk who judges you at the checkout?
Nothing?

Who the hell cares what a gamestop clerk thinks?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Jave

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Shadowrun20XX wrote:
Bunny ears and high heels is what metroid is all about? Sweet. Seems they are getting further and further away from the Chozo suit as time goes on. It is kinda outdated.

That'd be kinda cool. Give the next Metroid game to Platinum. Make it in the style of Bayonetta. Wink I'd play it. Maybe Samus' new moveset is an indication of an upcoming game with those moves?
Covnam

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:33 pm Reply with quote
It's interesting that they're putting out Smash on 3DS first. I was expecting a simultaneous release, but if they didn't do that, I would have thought that a WiiU release would come first to move consoles. While I'm sure it still will, I can't imagine that putting the game out first on the 3DS won't cannibalize sales. I don't have a WiiU yet, but would probably have picked one up for Smash if I didn't have one by then, but if I can play on the 3DS first, I'll probably wait even longer to get it.

Separating Samus and Zero Suit Samus was a good move since the previous option to change was out of the players hands for the most part, but I liked switching between Sheik and Zelda during play. I mostly played Sheik, but Zelda's moves were handy from time to time and made the character more complex and fun to play. I hope that they add in another Zelda/Sheik character slot that links the two together for players who prefer that.

The high-heels look pretty bad, and not just because of the odd choice of yellow. Of all the ways to change the character up, I wouldn't have thought of that. Was there nothing else they could pull from the games? I find it odd that they chose to emphasize her kick attacks when working on her moves. I hope that she doesn't end up playing too much like Sheik.
meiam

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:39 pm Reply with quote
High heel serves no other purpose than to increase sex appeal, one by making the women taller and two by forcing her to stick her ass out more, making it look bigger/sexier. They are 100% meant for sex appeal, and putting them on a character that's absolutely not about sex appeal is definitely a problem (especially after other M).

Remember how Samus usually get an ability that allow her to run really fast? Imagine doing that in high heel, you've just understood why those high heel are problematic. The space bikini can be made sense of (she can wear whatever under her suit, it doesn't hinder her), but not the heel. To me this is about has offensive as link being dressed in a gimp suit.

A new wild arms, that could be really cool, but I'm guessing it's just gonna end up like the new breath of fire, sigh. If they do make a new one, please don't make it like 5, 5 is like the suikoden 4 of wild arms.

I read natural doctrine is doing awful in japan, but it's not that big a surprise, you split the game on 3 platform so you don't get big number and your essentially releasing a platform game on console.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:45 pm Reply with quote
Brimfyre wrote:

I'm not saying heels can't be sexy, but they aren't always sexy and these aren't heels.

Heels serve the function of making a woman taller and making her legs look more tone and sexier. That is what they accomplish.

How are Samus's "heels" making her calves look great? Her calves look great without them, ergo, the shoes are not meant to be sexy.

Such a silly conversation.

...Are you being sarcastic? Any heel above 1-1.5" high is defined as a "high heel", at least among the women I know and shop with (myself included). Those heels are at least 2" or 3", making 'em high heels. And while Samus may have great calves, those heels are high only for the purpose of making Samus look sleeker and sexier.

God, just look at the ridiculous angle her foot is at! I mean, look at this: http://i01.i.aliimg.com/wsphoto/v0/902797491/Free-shipping-dot-2013-new-sandals-for-women-shoes-chunky-red-bottom-high-heels-platform-pumps.jpg These are chunky high heels, and they have almost the exact same foot curve as Samus' robo-heels. Seriously, just cause they aren't real-life high heel replicas doesn't mean they aren't meant to be a sci-fi representation of high heels.
Mister Ryan Andrews

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:53 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

Oh, well I'm not arguing that at all. I agree high heels are purely for sex appeal. The fact her weapon is a whip is also probably not a coincidence.

I'm just saying that the people saying Samus was never about fanservice/sex appeal/feminine are wrong. Being sexy and rewarding the player with it was always a thing about her. So to say high heels are a betrayal to her character seems weird when it's been there since day one.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 11