• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Knights of Sidonia (TV) (both seasons).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:59 am Reply with quote

Knights of Sidonia (TV)
Knights of Sidonia: Battle for Planet Nine (TV) (discussion starts here)

Genres: adventure, science fiction
Themes: mecha, military, real robot, space opera

Plot Summary: It's been a thousand years since the Gauna, a strange alien race with no known method of communication, destroyed the solar system. A portion of humanity managed to escape using enormous "seed ships" like the Sidonia, which have allowed them to maintain the population while drifting through space. Nagate Tanikaze is a young man who has been raised deep in the bowels of the ship. When he goes into training to pilot the huge robotic weapons known as Gardes, Nagate is entrusted with piloting the legendary unit known as Tsugumori. Nagate and his fellow pilots put their lives on the line against the Gauna, in the ultimate battle for the survival of humanity.

I'm pretty damn excited about this one with those themes. I mean, alien forces an mecha involved. After seeing the PVs, I think it might take a little while to get used to the animation style. Still, the plot and themes so far interested me. As far as the character goes, Nagate's development should be pivotal in order for him to survive in this environment.
----------------------------------

Episode 1:
It was an okay start so far. The ED song was awesome but I'm not entirely sure if this will go the way I want to. Still, the style and premise is pretty good by consistency. spoiler[Seems like the MC Nagate isn't treated entirely well by others. I hope he can prove to others what he is capable for.]

Otherwise, it has potential for sure. The animation style is going to take me a little while to get used to.

Last edited by Stark700 on Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:19 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Opening fight/simulation was more than impressive.
Have I found my perfect mecha anime?
Guess I jumped to conclusions..
The animation was different and kinda stuck out from the start.
I'm not really a fan of CGI animation.
Skipping it.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:49 pm Reply with quote
You know that wasn't too bad. I'm not a fan of CG, but the visuals were ok for me. The faces do look a little too stiff and some of the movements seem artificial, but overall I think I can live with it. I did like when the Mechs came together and flew off. That was kind of cool. I don't care for the fuzziness of some of the scenes though.

Story was ok. It felt a little rushed, but it didn't feel too choppy or abrupt. Overall, I have to say that so far I'm digging this and look forward to the next episode.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:54 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

Initial thoughts are Arpeggio, but as far as a first episode goes the actions usually felt a little choppy, and I don't think the CG is quite good enough to express the emotions they are trying to convey. What was able to do was make me actually cringe when he sustained injury, I though that was done very well. Some parts looked really pretty but others were difficult to look at. screen like the interface and stuff were among the things that looked great.

There was lots of world building that we learned a number of interesting things, but it also felt super rushed as it was going really quickly. I don't think he spoke for a good amount of time so it was a little difficult to understand what he was going through, and somewhat hard to get a good idea about some of the characters. Like I did not even notice one was androgynous until it was pointed out, and it felt like multiple of characters were clones (possibly could be).

The songs also sounded good, like this OP song. *listens to it again* Wait why did I not notice that at first (well I was kind of multitasking) that is most definitely Angela.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:35 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Episode 1
...I don't think he spoke for a good amount of time so it was a little difficult to understand what he was going through...

I wasn't sure how to feel about that myself. On the one hand, it must be stressful to be thrown into so many new experiences at once. "Culture shock" comes to mind. He's also been alone for a long time, which should create a lot of social awkwardness and perhaps anxiety. I'm not sure if they are delaying that reaction or just glossing it over. On the other hand, I'm familiar with the author's other works like Blame!, Abara and Biomega. He's not always interested in the psychology of characters, but the stories I've read deal more with atmosphere and maybe psychology of place. So I don't know if we will get to fully understand what main character is going thru, but then again I've heard others say that Knights of Sidonia is his most accessible piece so I guess we'll have to see.

Quote:
...Like I did not even notice one was androgynous until it was pointed out, and it felt like multiple of characters were clones (possibly could be).

MC wasn't sure himself that the character was androgynous which I think was the point. There are definitely several clones too. I think some of that maybe a plot point as it seems the Sidonia is spoiler[experimenting with different ways to make humans. The third gender, the clones, the photosynthesis. Are they trying to make humans more adaptive to space? Maybe its a population problem and they are trying to breed more people or maybe the Captain knew they were going to face off with the Gauna sooner than later and they are breeding more soldiers which may explain the clones]?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:06 pm Reply with quote
One-Eye wrote:
MC wasn't sure himself that the character was androgynous which I think was the point. There are definitely several clones too. I think some of that maybe a plot point as it seems the Sidonia is spoiler[experimenting with different ways to make humans. The third gender, the clones, the photosynthesis. Are they trying to make humans more adaptive to space? Maybe its a population problem and they are trying to breed more people or maybe the Captain knew they were going to face off with the Gauna sooner than later and they are breeding more soldiers which may explain the clones]?

Oh reminds me, who here is being reminded of Gargantia on that subject?
Bango

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:21 pm Reply with quote
The manga of this has sat on my To Read list for a long time based on several recommendations. But this ep left me so underwhelmed. Hopefully it just needs to find it's place.

The 3D isn't good in this one like it was in Arpeggio (different companies, so that's understandable) but I do appreciate that textures are worn and weathered. The mechanical stuff is fine but the character models aren't nearly complex enough. The 3D reminds me a bit of Urda, which was... 12 years ago. Naturally this has way better models and more complex animations but I found even Urda sold their emotions better. Hoshi no Umi no Amuri might be another valid comparison but I find it did both expression and animation better. I'm perfectly fine with CGI for anime but IMO it was the wrong choice for this setting.

The second it showed white-haired guy looking at the historical mech I was like spoiler["Rival. Main dude's going to get that one and you're going to hate him for it."] To me, the only worthwhile scenes were the main character getting smoked in the face with things. Oh, and that locker room scene with the clone ass but meh.

I'm ok with all the head trauma and the fall and I realize he's really durable and it was for comedic effect but wouldn't spoiler[falling into an industrial rice thresher] outright 100% kill somebody? I can suspend my disbelief farther than most viewers but how much I need to do that effects my future expectations for the severity of dangers. If characters survive that then I have no doubt they'll survive whatever else happens to them and all tension is gone.

The world is interesting enough but I think a novel might be the best medium for it. So far I don't care for any of the characters, I dislike the main guy, I'm not looking forward to his rival and... hmmm. I guess I just want the mystery solved rather than going through watching it. Hopefully it just needs to find it's footing. I'll give it a few more chances.
Knoepfchen

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:04 am Reply with quote
The setting and story fell very much like my thing, but I am not sure yet that I can deal with the character designs. Their faces seem completely devoid of emotion or expression. So far, the setting up of the MC and rival is textbook to the letter, not very interesting. On the more interesting side of things, I'm all in favor of humanity trying to spoiler[evolve itself, the third gender thing, the apparent clones], all good stuff. Sadly, the fact that all of the characters look almost identical spoiler[due to them being (possibly) clones] doesn't help me with telling them apart or, in the long run, developing attachments, I fear. Still, the setting is nice enough for me to give this show 2 more episodes before making a decision.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:48 am Reply with quote
After the second episode, I think I'm liking this better than I would expect to. Yes, definitely getting Gargantia vibes (I'm pretty sure the Gauna can be communicated with - I've seen enough Stargate to know how that's going to pan out Wink). The CG doesn't bother me much (I was able to cope with much worse CG in Kingdom, so this is easy on the eyes by comparison). Anyway, I'll likely stick with this unless they do something monumentally stupid.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:50 am Reply with quote
Episode 2 :

Damn, the grim reality of deaths are quite real in this show. The second episode illustrates that clearly. Still, I'm curious how the recruits will do in future battles in particular that girl at the end of this episode.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Knoepfchen

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:15 am Reply with quote
The second episode continues to portray an interesting world with lots of promise. Sadly, the characters are not becoming any more interesting. I understand why we don't get to know much about the MC or his feelings as he's clearly set up as spoiler[the mystery trump card] here, but that doesn't really help identifying with him or caring about him. His rival is not providing anything outside textbook, either, besides the fact that his family spoiler[seems to be responsible for the next mecha generation]. Also, I still have difficulties telling the characters apart, the girls especially, and the CG faces are just so ... I don't know.

Moving on to the interesting aspects of this episode.

- The Gauna. spoiler[They can't be communicated with and nobody knows where they came from or want they want with humanity. Yet they are imitating the form of the people they just killed.] A very grim and grotesque homage to that famous scene from Cameron's The Abyss. Definitely some promise there.

- The MCs apparent spoiler[healing factor]. At first I thought this was just some general evolutionary advancement in humanity, like the photosynthesis, but other characters in show expressed their surprise at spoiler[his fast healing. Maybe his artificial evolution went a different way than that of the rest of humanity?] And it seems to be of value for the military/society for obvious (or not so obvious?) reasons. Interesting.

- The space action scenes work well. Even though I don't care about any of the characters (yet), it was exciting.

- Little details like the safety belt, although it ended in spoiler[fanservice and a not so pleasant nosebleed]. The funeral from afar in order to show us how everything in this world gets spoiler[recycled].

Definitely too interesting to give up on yet.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
Episode 2 :Damn, the grim reality of deaths are quite real in this show. The second episode illustrates that clearly. Still, I'm curious how the recruits will do in future battles in particular that girl at the end of this episode.
Yea that was something. They gave us that flashback spoiler[with the girl, which was just enough to make her more than a nameless redshirt, so when the dinner was served it made me more sympathetic]. That part worked for me.

The MC may possiblyspoiler[ heal fast], but its refreshing to see him suffer real world injuries and not be a complete superman.

The scene with the Gauna spoiler[taking some of the features of the girl it swallowed was interesting]. Is it doing so in order to find a way to communicate? Or is it trying to evolve itself,spoiler[ just as the Sidonia seems to be playing around with genetics]? There's a lot more questions I can think of, so I'm really curious where they are going to take it.

I'm ok with the lead and his way too obvious rival not being developed as yet. Its still 2 episodes in and they've been busy showing us other stuff. So I can wait for that. I am disappointed with the range and quality of facial expression with the characters.

Unless they totally blow it, I think I'll be sticking with this one for the whole season.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:15 am Reply with quote
Episode 2

Me: They just gave that spoiler[girl a backstory with motives and personality], there is no way spoiler[she is going to die]. *sees spoiler[her get eaten and monster adapt her body]* Shocked Okay then, maybe I was wrong. Although there is the chance they might change thingsspoiler[ like her conscious being a part of the monster], but as it stands that was actually pretty well done.

Problems still exist that I can barely tell characters apart, the colour or small changes don't seem enough to make them really distinct, and that seems to be a real problem with the chosen style. It could be that we are really just not used to this type of full CG animation, but looking at Arpeggia you can really see the varied designs that made it much easier to tell characters apart.

I do think that there seems to be something biological that will give the lead an advantage over the plant people. At least there could be a real reason why he will be strong than just being the chosen one.
Agent355

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Does anyone else read the manga? I'm really enjoying how the anime is compressing events and explaining things that are unclear in the manga. My only anime-specific worry is how they'll fit an ongoing story with 12 volumes into a single cour. General story worry: the harem poor unsuspecting, naïve Tanikaze is developing. Why even bother making Izana "3rd gender" when she's just going to play a jealous wanna-be girlfriend? If they had an introspective scene where she ponders her gender identity and relationship to Tanikaze it might be interesting, but these characters aren't very introspective.

Also: talking bear. No explanation, just a talking bear. As a very literal Mama Bear character, it's cute.

I also got a kick out of Tanikaze being teased for having to eat. It takes the anime trope of the always eating hero to an extreme! Very Happy
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:07 am Reply with quote
Just watched the 2 episodes that were out as I've been anticipating the series. The CG is taking some getting used to, i dunno what it is about japan and their CG stuff but it looks stiff and clunky a lot of the times i see it used. Anyhoo im really digging it so far and it was helpful to me also because i just got a little bit of cash for easter and was banging my head on the table over what manga to buy having so much to get and not enough to buy everything i want so i grabbed another volume of sidonia.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8