• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Knights of Sidonia (TV) (both seasons).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
One-Eye

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 1:32 pm Reply with quote
lesterf1020 wrote:
I don't think the situation was as bad as you think. Kunato is smart and made a very calculated evil decision. The mission was always expected to be successful, cutting off the tail was just supposed to make it easier.
I can see where you are coming from, but I'm going to disagree a little with you here.

I'm not sure that it was "always expected to be successful". Battles and wars can be unpredictable. I'm not sure anyone with some knowledge goes into a battle expecting it to go swimmingly well. What do we know so far? What we know is that Gauna are not easy to destroy. We know that they destroyed earth and humanity has been mostly on the run from them. Doesn't sound like humanity's been that succesful. We know that the only thing that affects them is the Kabizashi, which there are a limited amount of. We know that the Gauna don't always act in predictable fashion, just look at how it changed course and prioritized the retrieval squad that had been sent after the drifting Kabizashi instead of the Sidonia. Remember, that was supposed to be an "easy mission", and that's why they sent cadets instead of regular pilots. Also recall that the Gauna displayed its own Hyggs beam weapon on that mission, which surprised everyone. These are highly dangerous unpredictable creatures with very little known weaknesses that have killed off your former ace pilot team. This might lead one to believe that there isn't a whole lot of room for error in a mission. Ergo, don't screw around. Is spoiler[Kunato] just that reckless? Doesn't seem the type so far. Is he just not very bright? He seems fairly intelligent and a smooth operator. So, I just want to know his reasoning why he thinks he can get away with it, because this move of his seems risky. It would have been interesting to see him weigh the risks and convince himself to do it. Instead it comes off a little bit "what the hell man you trying to get everyone and yourself killed"?

Quote:
So I don't think he was reckless just evil.
Like I said I can see where you are coming from, but it isn't just evil for me its really risky behavior that might effect his own personal survivability and he hasn't given me the impression that he's willing to throw his life away on spoiler[petty jealousy]. So it seemed risky and a little reckless. Now maybe if Tanikaze's fame was getting larger and larger then I could see spoiler[Kunato's] ego lashing out in spite of the possible consequences.

Anyways, its not that big of a deal really. Its more of a nitpick, but it did bug me a little.
lesterf1020
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 7:17 am Reply with quote
You are quite right that his actions were in practice risky but I don't think he saw it that way. He is the heir to the Kunato Enterprises that built the Type 18's. He was even the test pilot and had a shot at being called the greatest gardes pilot. He is wealthy and powerful and has been trained from small to believe that he exists only to be the best. People like that calculate things differently and think they can get away with a lot.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 9:10 am Reply with quote
Kunato's motivations might be questionable from a narrative perspective, but that has nothing on the tinfoil hat theories of the Anti-war protestors, does anyone teach what would now be ancient human history in that the next human colony that they might meet with that isn't Sidonia would have a good chance of being damned Space Pirates?
While Guana might be big scary space fairing monsters while humanity, proven through Kunato, is still full of not-so-nice-people willing to stab you in the back for something as small as pride.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 12:53 pm Reply with quote
Episode 9 8

And this series has managed to amaze me again, this was a superb episode. First start with the space fight; say what you want but this show knows how to do a chaotic fight, and with 3 enemies it was chaotic, so much that it was a just the right amount of hard to keep up. Awesome parts were the spoiler[creepy messages Shizuka clones], Nagate was spoiler[able to do what he needed to], yet Kunato's spoiler[guilt caught up to him and fell apart]. It was gruesome, distressing and do what you can to get the mission done, and its display at these moments are where it shines.

There is also the very important second part that kind of shows us what happened in the past to lead to a number of things. 100 years ago spoiler[2 Gauna got in and only about 400 people survived, something they thought they might not be able to come back from, and probably why chunks of the population seem quite similar]. And for some reason a guy spoiler[deleted most of their archive], I could theorise that he was spoiler[a Gauna clone, or perhaps he was trying to prevent Gauna from getting the information]. We also had a really good action scene of Nagate, spoiler[who was a to be immortal clone, being fought for by his "grandfather", the man they planned to transplant into his body].

Izana's spoiler[prank of getting Nagate to call her Lala] felt simultaneously touching, sad, and definitely hilarious. And the ending with spoiler[the Shizuka clone] has raised my anticipation and curiosity.

Last edited by DuskyPredator on Fri May 30, 2014 1:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 1:11 pm Reply with quote
^ You mean episode 8 right?

Anyways, it was a good episode with both action and the spoiler[flashback featuring more of Lala. I wonder why she took on the form of a bear though. I don't think that was explained.]

The final bits of the episode was chilling too. I'm definitely looking forward to what's to come next. spoiler[Poor Honoka ;.;]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 8:50 pm Reply with quote
This explains a lot to why the humans... are a bit ignorant of history.
Agent355

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 1:05 am Reply with quote
Ep 8 was exciting, dramatic and just so well done.
spoiler[those Honoka Gauna clones are *creepy*, especially the voice. That giggling! Tanikaze kept his head and Kunato...it's almost too bad they saved him after the crap he pulled last ep.]
spoiler[That flashback scene was perfect. Loved it in the manga, loved it in the anime. Hiroki was awesome, fighting everyone off with a baby in one arm and a katana in the other. Guess that's why they all carry katanas, but bows and arrows? Really? I'm guessing Hayama helping him escape is the reason she's a dorm mother rather than still actively working with the military.]
I don't think they ever gave a reason behind Hayama's body. Random talking bears are cool, I guess.

I really hope more people discover this show after it premieres on Netflix. It's too good to have such a small audience.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Episode 9

The timing was a little strangely done, perhaps if I could understand the articles a bit better I could feel it, but I am not sure it worked quite right.

And a twist there towards the end, not entirely sure what it meant though. Either that spoiler[proof the Gauna are drawn in by the spears, or that they let the clone in so that it could get recon].

Also got some mention about the family thing how the current population got to how it was, and our un-gendered does specifically associate with her grandmother who we saw earlier. Maybe wrong, but has something been growing on him/her?
One-Eye

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Ep 8 & 9

Well that's interesting what's happened with spoiler[Kunato]. I wish that they had shown him to be actively spoiler[interested in Hoshijiro which would have given his jealousy towards Tanikaze an extra reason and his guilt a little more sting].

Episode 9 felt choppy. I guess they are spoiler[being pursued and having to sortie often so everyone is under a lot of stress, but it feels that they cut out some of the combat or scenes. The stress of being hunted and the feeling of being worn out is not being conveyed well I think]. Its probably due to episode constraints.

Agent355 wrote:
I don't think they ever gave a reason behind Hayama's body. Random talking bears are cool, I guess.
I think Nihei just likes bears. If I recall correctly his Biomega had a talking bear too.
Alberto7

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:30 pm Reply with quote
I've found it a little difficult to comment on this anime before, since I liked the premise so much, but it felt so sloppily done.

With the past few episodes, however, I feel like things begin to clear up: the characters are a lot more well established, the setting is pretty clear (as clear as it can be anyway), and it seems to be heading somewhere now that new mysteries and issues have been introduced. It still feels like they're trying to cram in too big of a story and setting into too small a time slot though.

And is it just me, or does the animation seem to be more traditional now? Perhaps I'm just getting used to it? Sorry if this has been brought up before; I haven't read the entire thread.

The ending for episode 9 is my favorite ending of all episodes so far. For the first time, I genuinely wish the next episode came a little faster.
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:37 pm Reply with quote
The animation did look more traditional to me in ep 9, but I couldn't put my finger on why.

Ep 9 had some weird pacing, but it wasn't bad. I think the montage was actually trying to show how spoiler[things were going well for Tanikaze. The news headlines focused on his victories in battle, and his visits to Gauna-Hoshijiro were going better and better, as well as things can go when your love interest is killed and replaced by an alien replica of her, anyway.]

I don't think Kunato needed to show a romantic interest in Hoshijiro for his reaction now to work. He killed an innocent member of his team as commander due to some stupid rivalry. That should be enough to haunt him with guilt for a long time.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:54 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
I don't think Kunato needed to show a romantic interest in Hoshijiro for his reaction now to work. He killed an innocent member of his team as commander due to some stupid rivalry. That should be enough to haunt him with guilt for a long time.

I didn't say it needed it to work, I said it would add an extra sting. Its one thing to get someone else killed and maybe feel guilty about it, but its truly haunting when its someone you had feelings for. I also said it would added to the whole jealousy/rivalry thing which again I think would have made the loss of her life all the more damning. Plus we would get to see him torture himself which would be satisfying for the viewer considering what a prick he is.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 3:02 am Reply with quote
Ep 10

See? spoiler[I made a meat dress out of my placenta. Isn't it pretty?] Yikes! Goes well with the tentacles I guess. Very Happy

Good thing Nagate heals really super super fast.

This was a very weird episode. The mood was all over the map, from edge of your seat to rolling your eyes.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:22 am Reply with quote
Episode 10

spoiler[8000 times Sidonia's size]! Well they are screwed. And right after the awesome maneuver he did to spoiler[save those anti militants, who still claimed that the Gauna were only after Sidonia].

I liked the episode quite, most of it felt pretty good. spoiler[Izana is my favourite, so I hope she does not die soon].

Engineers: "We are working on cutting edge technology."
Tanikze: "spoiler[Hey I have already played that one with my grandfather]."
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:39 am Reply with quote
Episode 10:

The first half of the episode felt somewhat silly imo with spoiler[Nagate's distorted face. But then, we find out more about what humanity has been doing and that they seem to be getting some ground against the Gauna. There's still a lot of mysteries regarding their origins though especially since a GIGANTIC one is after the crew now.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8