• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Voice actor encounters. The good, the bad, and the strange....

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yotsubafanfan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:20 pm Reply with quote
If you've ever been to an anime convention you know how crazy they are. From the artist ally that makes you question whether you can call yourself an artist or not to the hilarious commentary in the anime viewing room that you make with stranger's because it's playing a horribly dubbed Osamu Tezuka anime. For anime fans going to these conventions is like going to Disneyland. There is just no better feeling than stepping through the doors of the con to get your badge and enjoy all that makes anime fantastic.

But what's a Disneyland without a Mickey Mouse? That's when the VA's come in. The people who can make all your anime dreams come true or make them into total nightmares for the people of your native language. The Mickey Mouse of the convention and the reason why we all go, so we can claim to our friends that we met the voice of *Insert anime character here* or got *Insert voice actor/actresses name here* to sign such in such.

So, if you have been to an anime convention who did you get to meet? Was it a good experience? Was it bad? Were they nice or rude and stuck up? Do you want to meet them again? If you haven't then who do you want to meet? I'm super excited to hear from all of you! Very Happy
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:52 am Reply with quote
I got Steve Blum to sign my bicep once.

And on another occasion, I even convinced Darrel Guilbeau to do the dance from the opening of Overman King Gainer. Laughing
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:14 am Reply with quote
I went to Katsucon three years ago and a couple of the panels I attended were voice actor panels. one of them was a late night, 18+ J. Michael Tatum panel. he talked about his experience in acting, some favorite roles, how he and Brina Palencia love to prank each other, how attractive he thinks Troy Baker is and how is ex boyfriend was turned on by his Sebastian voice. we went into detail about that.

Another late night 18+ panel had Greg and Chris Ayres, Chris Bevins, Richard Epcar and his wife Ellyn Stern, Josh Grelle, Tatum, and at least two other people I'm forgetting. It basically turned into an Ask Me Anything panel. Greg started drinking almost immediately, and was very willing to go in to detail just how much he cant stand Vic Mignogna and Todd Haberkorn. Chris Bevins had an amusing story to share about an unfortunate bathroom encounter with Vic at FUNi. since it was an 18+ panel, many questions were stuff like who would you do, or find attractive, most. Josh shared an amusing story from his childhood. I've forgotten most of what was talked about.

I also watched Dragonball Evolution for the first and only time at the convention. it was worth it, because Kyle Hebert was riffing it while we watched it
BrokenByDefault

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:40 am Reply with quote
I was at an interesting 18+ panel last year with Spike Spencer about his worst and most inappropriate convention stories, including the sight of cosplays making elderly women faint in the middle of hotel lobbies, and a few more. He just had that personality and humor about him that had everyone laughing, including several friends who aren't really interested in anime, so it was great that we were able to enjoy and laugh at all of his panels together.
Bango

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:40 am Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
how is ex boyfriend was turned on by his Sebastian voice. we went into detail about that

Thanks for mentioning this. It's something I've always wondered with voice actors but I don't get to any of the big cons to actually ask and even then I'd need an Ask Anything panel to do it. I have a friend who's really skilled at mimicking various voice actresses and... wait... yeah, I just had to check if she was okay with me telling this story anonymously over the internet. Anyway, she was dirty talking with her boyfriend once and started using the voice of a character he liked to build up a fantasy and he thought it was awesome for a short bit but then was like "please stop. It's getting kind of creepy."

So I always wondered if pro voice actors ever used character voices in bed and what the results were. I also wonder if pro voice actors take cosplay to the next level with a costume+voice combo.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Bango wrote:
So I always wondered if pro voice actors ever used character voices in bed and what the results were. I also wonder if pro voice actors take cosplay to the next level with a costume+voice combo.

Incidentally this is one of the big reasons why japanese seiyuu fans throw a fit whenever an actress is reportedly involved with some one. They assume the actress will do this and thus ruin the purity of their waifus.
MacAttack270

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Bango wrote:

Incidentally this is one of the big reasons why japanese seiyuu fans throw a fit whenever an actress is reportedly involved with some one. They assume the actress will do this and thus ruin the purity of their waifus.

Yeah, I'll never understand this. Interesting note though V.
Bango

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:59 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Mentally deranged people throwing murderous fits is a hallmark of otaku culture:)

Actually, I also always wondered if old english VAs in the "all lolis must have nails-on-chalkboard screechy voices" era complained about having to do such voices. I think I remember hearing of one telling a story about how her and the voice director got in a heated argument over if fans wanted to hear that type of voice or not. I remember at least 2 voices from Gunslinger Girl voiced a scene as if they were told to make the girls screechy and high pitched like that and it was hilarious, but I think that was just fan-made and not the official english VAs.
Panzer Vor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:08 am Reply with quote
Sac-Anime summer 2012: I asked Johnny Yong Bosch, Roger Craig Smith, and Travis Willingham to sing "You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin'" to Laura Bailey. (Check here to see and hear how that went.) Apparently, Michelle Ruff and Jennifer Hale loved it.

Sac-Anime summer 2013: I asked Bryce Papenbrook and Cherami Leigh about chapter 16.5 of Sword Art Online. (There are several videos of that panel on YouTube; try checking here for reasonably high-quality audio.) I also got to sit in on the "Manime" panel with J. Michael Tatum and Bryce Papenbrook on the last day of the con. In between all the serious questions, there was a cheesy pickup line duel, among other things.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1