• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Attack on Titan to Run on Adult Swim's Toonami Block

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
theNightster

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:48 pm Reply with quote
why is everyone hating on Sentai's dubs? I find some of them to be pretty good and better then some of Aniplex dubs, speaking of aniplex, say what you want about sentai but at least their DVD's are affordable.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:08 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
And Kodocha has one of the worst, most poorly acted (and horribly cast) dubs Funimation has ever done. Linebarrels of Iron and Vexille were passable at best, but virtually any Texas director could have got the same average level of quality out of those mediocre releases.

And for the record, I would consider his directing on Kodocha a HUGE fail. Perhaps it that show had been given a respectable dub, it may have helped boost the numbers enough to allow its release to be completed.

Um, what? Kodocha might have been a failure in sales, but it had nothing to do with the dub, which I thought was quite good. Laura Bailey did a great job as Sana; even Zac, who was otherwise critical of the dub in his review of the first DVD, agrees on that. I thought most of the rest of the acting performances and casting choices were at worst passable and settled into the roles with time, especially Chris Sabat as the principal and Colleen Clinkenbeard as Misako. Babbit and Akito weren't great casting choices but were at least tolerable, and they were (arguably) the most questionable choices.

No, that series didn't sell well (and thus, sadly, never got finished in its American release) because it was old (and looked it) and most American otaku aren't interested in watching an ongoing dramedy about elementary school students. I can't recall a case in the DVD era where something has failed to sell primarily because of an awful dub.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Joe Carpenter

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:31 pm Reply with quote
I no longer watch anime on Adult Swim/Toonami but I'm happy to see it lives on healthily regardless
jr240483

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:07 pm Reply with quote
rinmackie wrote:
This is awesome news! As for the censorship and ratings, I wish Adult Swim/Toonami could be it's own separate channel so they wouldn't have to air these shows so late at night.

not a chance in hell that wold ever happen.it would cost CN and it's parent company TBS (Turner Broadcasting Systems) a crapload of money to have another channel. it's as i said. it would be better off if they just have CN obtain the same broadcasting rights like IFC even though it would cost more to do so.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
rinmackie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:20 pm Reply with quote
^ Yes, I know. But it would be nice.
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:04 am Reply with quote
rinmackie wrote:
^ Yes, I know. But it would be nice.

it would but it wouldnt make sense financially. the best bet is for the committee that is in charge of turner standards and practices to have the CN and AS broadcast licenses to have the same rights as IFC when they have to renew it from the FCC and they have to approve it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
RogueJedi86

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:37 am Reply with quote
I've always heard it said that the FCC only applies to broadcast networks and not cable. Cable only obeys as a general following of American taste. Notice that Comedy Central, FX, and Adult Swim have been getting more lax in the use of certain profanities and nudities, without any major shift in FCC policy. Adult Swim could go completely uncensored and f-bomb left and right tonight if they wanted, but people would complain, especially with it still being on Cartoon Network, and that would be the end of that. It's just that Adult Swim has only been pushing its acceptable boundaries in the past six months or so.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:03 am Reply with quote
There's no such thing as a broadcast license for a cable-only provider - they only exist because the government nationalized the radio spectrum(obviously, not an issue). That said, being on the same channel as Cartoon Network does limit how far Adult Swim can push its envelope, but I don't think that's been terribly much of an issue so much as advertisers for AS itself - I remember a statement that they couldn't run anything too fanservicey because of them.
rinmackie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:11 am Reply with quote
The advertisers, huh? Well, that sucks. I thought it was because they were part of Cartoon Network, a kid's channel.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:51 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
This just solidifies Toonami's rule of "Shows that have a ton of action but no substance or intellectual value". In other words we'll never see real masterpieces like Dennou Coil on there (I know, it's never been licensed for some reason, just an example).

In the end, it makes sense. Please the masses, and according to Michael Bay the masses like the violence and that's all.

Casshern Sins and Ghost in the Shell being on there negates that. Also, you're condemning an English language television channel for not airing unlicensed and and undubbed shows like Dennou Coil... because that makes sense Shocked

This is Toonami, not Adult Swim. Toonami is and has always been an action cartoon block. Kinda dumb to get mad that the action block shows action shows.

Ronin2081 wrote:
SAO also had very little action, to me, so not sure where you are trying to go.

There's a fight scene in almost every episode. That's like saying One Piece is lacking in wacky pirates and goofy naval admirals or that Hamtaro is lacking in hamsters.
Ronin2081

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:

Ronin2081 wrote:

There's a fight scene in almost every episode. That's like saying One Piece is lacking in wacky pirates and goofy naval admirals or that Hamtaro is lacking in hamsters.

There were fights, but majority of them were skipped over/stills where the main action was Kirito posing after striking them. Then with the big fights they tended to completely gloss over them and instead of actually showing us a fight we got flashes of light/slug fest like DBZ, if we were lucky. Other times they built up to a big fight coming next episode, only to have it finish off screen.

So you can try and claim SAO had action but the action it had wasn't any better then the action in some Ben 10 episodes.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:38 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
dragonrider_cody wrote:
And Kodocha has one of the worst, most poorly acted (and horribly cast) dubs Funimation has ever done. Linebarrels of Iron and Vexille were passable at best, but virtually any Texas director could have got the same average level of quality out of those mediocre releases.

And for the record, I would consider his directing on Kodocha a HUGE fail. Perhaps it that show had been given a respectable dub, it may have helped boost the numbers enough to allow its release to be completed.

Um, what? Kodocha might have been a failure in sales, but it had nothing to do with the dub, which I thought was quite good. Laura Bailey did a great job as Sana; even Zac, who was otherwise critical of the dub in his review of the first DVD, agrees on that. I thought most of the rest of the acting performances and casting choices were at worst passable and settled into the roles with time, especially Chris Sabat as the principal and Colleen Clinkenbeard as Misako. Babbit and Akito weren't great casting choices but were at least tolerable, and they were (arguably) the most questionable choices.

No, that series didn't sell well (and thus, sadly, never got finished in its American release) because it was old (and looked it) and most American otaku aren't interested in watching an ongoing dramedy about elementary school students. I can't recall a case in the DVD era where something has failed to sell primarily because of an awful dub.

I never said the show sold poorly because of a dub. You should actually read a post entirely before you reply to it. I said that a good dub MAY have helped it sell better. I never indicated a reason why it sold poorly.

And everyone has their own opinions on dubs. Personally, I thought Laura Bailey was absolutely terrible. She took a somewhat annoying character and turned her into an completely intolerable brat. Every time she stated to talk, I cringe and hoped that she would shut up soon. The rest of the cast wasn't too bad, but I can't agree with you on Bailey at all. I've enjoyed most of the roles I've heard her in, but I consider Kodocha to be her worst by far.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:56 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
I never said the show sold poorly because of a dub. You should actually read a post entirely before you reply to it. I said that a good dub MAY have helped it sell better. I never indicated a reason why it sold poorly.

And implicit in the bolded statement is that you believe that the (in your opinion) poor dub negatively impacted potential sales.

See, I don't just pay attention to what's said directly. Wink

Quote:
And everyone has their own opinions on dubs. Personally, I thought Laura Bailey was absolutely terrible. She took a somewhat annoying character and turned her into an completely intolerable brat. Every time she stated to talk, I cringe and hoped that she would shut up soon. The rest of the cast wasn't too bad, but I can't agree with you on Bailey at all. I've enjoyed most of the roles I've heard her in, but I consider Kodocha to be her worst by far.

Guess we're going to agree to disagree on this. I can't fathom how you can possibly call that a terrible performance or her worst performance by far, but whatever.

And we're drifting off topic anyway, so I won't say anything further about it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:43 pm Reply with quote
Ronin2081 wrote:
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:

Ronin2081 wrote:

There were fights, but majority of them were skipped over/stills where the main action was Kirito posing after striking them. Then with the big fights they tended to completely gloss over them and instead of actually showing us a fight we got flashes of light/slug fest like DBZ, if we were lucky. Other times they built up to a big fight coming next episode, only to have it finish off screen.

So you can try and claim SAO had action but the action it had wasn't any better then the action in some Ben 10 episodes.

You haven't seen SAO. That is an objectively false description of how they did their fight scenes.
Ronin2081

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
Ronin2081 wrote:
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:

Ronin2081 wrote:

You haven't seen SAO. That is an objectively false description of how they did their fight scenes.

No I've seen it. Watched it on Toonami up until ep 16 or 17 and then decided to drop it. It just seems what you want to call a good fight scene and what I want to call a good fight scene differ.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9