• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Characters you think are overrated?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:03 pm Reply with quote
We all have that character everybody loves, but you don't understand their appeal.

Revy- Black Lagoon: I can only think of two reasons why people like her, and they're on her chest. I stopped watching BL because of how much of an annoying bitch she was. She yells at and threatens everybody at the drop of a hat. I'm going to go on a limb and predict she's a bitch because she had a tragic backstory, and Rock automatically forgives her bitchiness because tragedy totally justifies being a dick to everybody.

Kamina- Gurren Lagaan: I don't hate Kamina, but I don't think he's this god of a character. He was a one-note plot device for Simon's character development, and it really annoys me how people say they stopped watching GL after spoiler[he died].

Itachi- Naruto: He went from an awesome character to a total Creator's Pet.

Taiga- Toradora: Another one-note Tsundere character. Gee, you're a jerk to the guy you want to pork? I'm sure that was innovative.

[EDIT: Changed your thread title to make it more of a ponderous subjective question, rather than a blanket objective statement. -TK]
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:43 pm Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:

Revy-Black Lagoon:
Quote:
I'm going to go on a limb and predict she's a bitch because she had a tragic backstory, and Rock automatically forgives her bitchiness because tragedy totally justifies being a dick to everybody.

Her job is killing people, this does not require a winning personality. I wouldn't call her back story tragic. She is not a bitch all the time or with everyone. Rock's reaction in definitely not what you predict, which is the basis of one of the best episodes.

Taiga- Toradora: This is pretty much the definition of a Tsundere, it is not specific to Taiga. I can understand your not liking the entire character type, but why pick on Taiga. The show attempts to explain why her personality is like that.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:04 pm Reply with quote
Chikane Himemiya-Kannazuki No Miko OMG. I HATE HER. She's by far my most hated popular anime character. She is worshipped by every yuri fangirl ever born but all she is is a giant Mary Sue whose screentime consists of angsting, angsting, and more angsting and then raping, acting like a psychotic b**ch, and then going back to angsting.

Chi-Chobits I can't stand her. People call her "the cutest anime character evers" but for me, to be cute, a character needs to have a personality.....which she does not. I don't care that she's a robot. Dorthy from Big O is also a robot...and she has a freaking personality.

Shirayuki-Hidan No Aria I can't stand her either. But I don't like yandere in general. She just happens to be the most annoying type of yandere I've come across.

Kagami-Lucky Star Eh. Snob. She's my least favorite of the four girls.

Ahm..........this is a manga character only but Hisame-Watashi Ni XX Shinasai
He is a terrible, selfish, cruel, spoiled little brat, gets away with abusing every character he comes in contact with, gets rejected by the girl he tormented (not cute, childish pranks or name-calling but straight-up abuse) for 10 years and how does the fandom react? "OHHH POOR HISAME. WHAT A TRAGIC CHARACTER. SO MISUNDERSTOOD."
F**k that sh*t. *flips table* HE DOESN'T EVEN HAVE A TRAGIC BACKSTORY. I like bad boys as much as the next shoujo fan but Hisame goes way too far with his cruelty and his only reason is jealousy!
Does he have parents who hit him or neglect him? No.
Is he always getting bullied by other children? No.
Did some perv rape him when he was little? No.
Is he suffering from some deadly disease and going insane? NO.
Is he mean to girls in order to protect them? NO, he's the one they need protection FROM.
And everything....every single 'unfortunate' thing that happens to him is ENTIRELY his fault and all he does is blame his problems on other people while continuing to act like a complete douche. I HATE CHARACTERS LIKE THIS SO MUCH I CAN'T EVEN....
*rage*

Quote:
Taiga- Toradora: This is pretty much the definition of a Tsundere, it is not specific to Taiga. I can understand your not liking the entire character type, but why pick on Taiga. The show attempts to explain why her personality is like that.

This. I thought Taiga was freakin' adorable. :]
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:13 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

Let me guess. The "Tragic Backstory Justifies Being a Dick" cliché? The reason I pick on Taiga is because she's a clichéd character. What about her makes her any different from other Tsunderes? Does she actually wait for an explanation before she kicks the crap out of the protagonist?
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:23 pm Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:
Alan45 wrote:

Let me guess. The "Tragic Backstory Justifies Being a Dick" cliché?

It seems to me that you don't like stories that involve disreputable characters -- which is what Black Lagoon is all about. We all have differing tastes; me, I find myself not caring for the humorous anime -- it's just not my cup of tea.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:23 pm Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:
Quote:

Let me guess. The "Tragic Backstory Justifies Being a Dick" cliché?

*sighs* Not to say it 'justifies' it....but you need to examine it deeper than that. Being 'tsun' or 'jerkish' is a tsundere's defense mechanism because in actuality, they're very vulnerable characters who just don't want to end up getting hurt again. I tend to think of them as these abandoned kittens who try to act tough and hostile toward strangers. Once you win their trust and they understand you won't hurt them, they cuddle up to you and purr sweetly.

I mean, have you ever wondered why tsundere characters (girls and boys alike) are always associated with cats? They ARE cats in human form.^^

And please do note: liking a character doesn't mean you think every action they commit or trait they possess is right or good.
A character who can 'do no wrong'?
EW. Get it away from me. Anime hyper
If they have more traits you like than dislike, you just end up overlooking them when good outweighs the bad. Even my favoritest of favorite characters might irritate me a little or make me go "hey, that was unnecessary. -_-" once in a while but when I look back by the end of the series, I realize I really do love them despite their mistakes.
That's what making a character 'human' is all about.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:13 pm Reply with quote
@Animeking1108
There is a difference between explaining a person's personality flaws and justifying them. Taiga is fairly aggressive to anyone who gets in her face. It is a defense mechanism often associated with being short. It is explained, and yes it can be annoying. However since you didn't care to watch enough to be familiar with her story I don't see the point in trying to tell you the plot of the story.

I gather you don't care for very aggressive women. Fair enough, you don't have to watch shows that feature them. Just be aware that not everyone agrees with you. Also it is usually not a good idea to criticize what you haven't seen, especially based on your assumptions of what the show will contain.
Sohma_Curse

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:31 pm Reply with quote
Haruhi Suzumiya is my definition of an overrated character. She's annoying, flighty, demanding, abrasive, and has the attention span of a gnat. Her negative traits aren't even balanced out by some sort of inner beauty (spoiler[she exploits people for her own personal gain and she's constantly putting Kyon in incredibly dangerous situations without even knowing or caring about it and moves onto the next completely inane topic when she gets bored]). Plus, oh yeah, here's a bunny suit and a guitar that you can inexplicably play very proficiently - that TOTALLY wasn't just implemented for fap's sake or anything. I have no idea what makes her so appealing to so many people.

Now, take someone like Yamada from B gata H kei, for example. She's as brash, unashamed, and ADHD-stricken as Haruhi, but she has a humanizing element of morality and humility that kicks in under certain circumstances which allows her to be carefree and pseudo-snobbish without being too much of a bitch about it.

Animeking1108 wrote:
Quote:

Let me guess. The "Tragic Backstory Justifies Being a Dick" cliché? The reason I pick on Taiga is because she's a clichéd character. What about her makes her any different from other Tsunderes? Does she actually wait for an explanation before she kicks the crap out of the protagonist?

But what makes her any worse than other tsunderes? You're singling out her in particular, yet your reason is because the type of character she plays is generic and stale to you. If there's nothing any different between her and other cliched characters of the same type, why exactly do you feel that she, specifically, is more overrated than other, similar characters?

[EDIT: Use the Edit button. Don't double-post. -TK]
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:17 pm Reply with quote
Sohma_Curse wrote:
Haruhi Suzumiya is my definition of an overrated character. She's annoying, flighty, demanding, abrasive, and has the attention span of a gnat. Her negative traits aren't even balanced out by some sort of inner beauty (spoiler[she exploits people for her own personal gain and she's constantly putting Kyon in incredibly dangerous situations without even knowing or caring about it and moves onto the next completely inane topic when she gets bored]). I have no idea what makes her so appealing to so many people.

Lol I dunno. Haruhi's appeal is somewhat hard to explain. I guess I like her leadership quality and how she's full of confidence. When she knows what she wants, she just goes for it. And she DOES care about Kyon a lot because in the movie spoiler[after he falls down the stairs, she stays at his bedside for THREE whole days in a sleeping bag, refusing to move for anything.]

If she actually knew about the danger she puts people in, that would make her a rotten person...but she doesn't so....she's kind of like a little kid looking for fantasy adventures in a boring, mundane world and I can relate to this. So many people can relate to this...so that's probably why she's so loved.

Quote:
Plus, oh yeah, here's a bunny suit and a guitar that you can inexplicably play very proficiently

'Inexplicably play'? She's God in her world-she can do anything if she wishes for it. Anime hyper
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:01 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
@Animeking1108
There is a difference between explaining a person's personality flaws and justifying them. Taiga is fairly aggressive to anyone who gets in her face. It is a defense mechanism often associated with being short. It is explained, and yes it can be annoying. However since you didn't care to watch enough to be familiar with her story I don't see the point in trying to tell you the plot of the story.

I gather you don't care for very aggressive women. Fair enough, you don't have to watch shows that feature them. Just be aware that not everyone agrees with you. Also it is usually not a good idea to criticize what you haven't seen, especially based on your assumptions of what the show will contain.

The thing is that they usually fall under the 'Unintentionally Unsympathetic' trope, where we're supposed to feel sorry for them even though they were not-so-nice-people. Wow, you've got a Napoleon Complex? It took me until high school to have my growth spurt and I'm still one of the shortest males in my class. You don't see me using people as my punching bag over it.

Quote:
But what makes her any worse than other tsunderes? You're singling out her in particular, yet your reason is because the type of character she plays is generic and stale to you. If there's nothing any different between her and other cliched characters of the same type, why exactly do you feel that she, specifically, is more overrated than other, similar characters?

Because people seem to praise her and yet bash other tsunderes like Naru Narusegawa and Akane Tendo for the same reasons.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:43 am Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:
Because people seem to praise her and yet bash other tsunderes like Naru Narusegawa and Akane Tendo for the same reasons.

For GOOD REASON.
I can't stand Akane because using the word "love" is so beneath her, she doesn't really have anything cutesy about her, and most of all, when other girls flirt with Ranma, RANMA is the one who gets punched.

Taiga does that to Ryuuji never. She's far more affectionate, she helps him out with things, she doesn't act like "love" is a four-lettered curse word, most of all, instead of punching her object of desire for being with another girl, SHE'S SETTING HIM UP WITH HER.

Naru and Akane don't really have good excuses to be bitches either. They were never neglected by their parents, they have good living conditions, they have plenty of friends, they get along fine with people in general so there's no reason to feel sorry for them. All they care about is their pride and this makes them come off as 'petty'.

Quote:
The thing is that they usually fall under the 'Unintentionally Unsympathetic' trope, where we're supposed to feel sorry for them even though they were not-so-nice-people.

What, so you're saying if you came across a girl who acted a bit cold and stand-offish you would not feel sorry for her at ALL if you found out she was neglected by her family?
o_o harsh, man. I WOULD.
Are only outwardly nice people or people who put on a happy face entitled to sympathy and compassion?
What kind of way of thinking is that?

Pushing that aside, Taiga IS undoubtedly a 'nice person'. She puts everyone else's needs before her own. That's what a nice person is. She's a fiercely loyal friend and neighbor. She sends her dad presents even though she hates him for betraying her trust over and over. Hell, she buys and donates toys to poor kids! But most of all: spoiler[She fell in love with Ryuuji yet she kept trying to get him and Minori together because she thought Ryuuji loved Minori and she KNEW Minori loved him. On Christmas, her favorite day. Even though she was all alone in her house. And as soon as she pushes Ryuuji out the door to confess to Minori, she breaks down, sobbing because she came to the realization that she loves a boy she (thinks) she cannot have because she wants the two people closest to her to be happy together]
It's one of the most heart-breaking scenes ever.

tl;dr: Call her overrated if you want, but Aisaka Taiga is a sweetheart. It cannot be denied.
Cam0

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:41 am Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
*sighs* Not to say it 'justifies' it....but you need to examine it deeper than that. Being 'tsun' or 'jerkish' is a tsundere's defense mechanism because in actuality, they're very vulnerable characters who just don't want to end up getting hurt again. I tend to think of them as these abandoned kittens who try to act tough and hostile toward strangers. Once you win their trust and they understand you won't hurt them, they cuddle up to you and purr sweetly.

I mean, have you ever wondered why tsundere characters (girls and boys alike) are always associated with cats? They ARE cats in human form.^^

Wow that's the most amazing and adorable explanation to tsunderes I've ever seen.

Taiga is a pretty strong character among tsunderes. She is pretty cliched, but considering the ingredients she is pretty well done. Atleast her behaviour is explained. There are MUCH, much worse tsunderes out there.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:56 am Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:

Wow that's the most amazing and adorable explanation to tsunderes I've ever seen.

Aw, thank you!
You can probably tell they're my favorite type of charas just from that. Anime hyper
Polycell

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:48 am Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
What makes you call her a snob? Is this about her not caring for Konata's habits, that's a fairly normal attitude - and probably a bit of defensiveness over being deeper than she likes to admit. Well, that and how Konata loves to push her girl's buttons.
Touma

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:12 am Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:

Just out of curiosity, what is it about Kagami that you consider to be snobbish?
I admit that she is my favorite character in the show, and one of my favorites over all, so I might just be overlooking her flaws.
And you should give her a few points for being a tsundere.Wink

Sohma_Curse wrote:
Haruhi Suzumiya is my definition of an overrated character. She's annoying, flighty, demanding, abrasive, and has the attention span of a gnat. ... oh yeah, here's a bunny suit ... I have no idea what makes her so appealing to so many people.

It's the bunny suit. Nobody looks better in a bunny suit than Haruhi.
But seriously, I love Haruhi but I cannot explain why. I even hated her at first.
I quit watching The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya after the first episode because I could not stand Haruhi, mostly for the reasons that you gave. Due to recommendations from some people who I trust I tried the show again. I am very glad that I did because it is now one of may favorite shows and Haruhi is one of my favorite characters, but as I say I cannot explain why.
I think that one reason is that I see her as more of a victim than a villain. But I certainly do not expect everybody to see her that way.
And she does look really good in that bunny suit. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10