Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Hal I Met Your Mother


Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Stark700



Joined: 30 Jan 2012
Posts: 5799
Location: Earth

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Ah I hope Silver Spoon gets another season in the future...

Can't wait for Psycho Pass 2 this Fall too. But on another note, I like hat Digimon collection tbh. Childhood memories are always fun to look back.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Fronzel



Joined: 11 Sep 2003
Posts: 1292

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:54 pm Reply with quote
In Hal spoiler[I found it a little tough to swallow that Hal happened to have the single specific mental delusion that allowed the twist in the plot to be pulled off, nor was the outcome of the twist terribly interesting.

Some of the hints and misdirection you see in a twist story was OK, like Hal being given intravenous nutrition or Q-1 appearing in the prologue in a man's hat and tie, belaying its feminine makeover as a replacement Kurumi, but other times it doesn't work; the robot Kurumi doesn't eat the food that Hal makes for her, but if it were trying to maintain an illusion of humanity, why didn't it throw the food away? Plus it eats some ice cream later, anyway.]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
angelmcazares
SubscriberSubscriber


Joined: 23 Sep 2010
Posts: 1240
Location: Iscandar

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:12 pm Reply with quote
I cannot believe you found season 2 of Silver Spoon Stream Worthy Bamboo. I enjoyed season 1 a lot, and I expected season 2 to deal more with the further development of the characters. Instead we got 7-8 initial boring episodes of mostly exposition.

The last 3-4 episodes were actually quite nice because things finally started moving, and the characters were fleshed out. It was a little too late to me because there is no conclusion to the anime, and most likely a third season will not happen because the first 2 seasons bombed sales-wise.

The anime adaptation is quite a shame, especially considering that the manga is apparently very nice.


Last edited by angelmcazares on Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime
RestLessone



Joined: 02 Aug 2009
Posts: 973
Location: New York

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:14 pm Reply with quote
I really enjoyed Psycho-Pass and am excited for the next season and film.

It definitely had its faults, particularly with...Well, y'know when a series suddenly puts some unusual focus on a side character, and you know they're about to die? spoiler[That's exactly how it felt when Kagari was assigned to Akane and Kogami, rather than Masaoka. The series itself did a great job of pushing characters through their respective arc, and Kunizuka, a relatively silent character, received an episode dedicated to her past. I liked Kagari; I found his early incarceration interesting, and wondered if his childish quirks and toys were a manifestation of that unnatural early life. But we didn't see too much of him, he never got an episode, and we didn't learn much about his feelings until right before he died. And, unlike Kunizuka and Shion, he's dead so his development is likely to end there.]

I don't know. I guess I just wanted more flesh on the bone, especially for an intriguing situation. In any case, I'm still eager to see where the story will go. Here's to hoping it won't nosedive into the ground.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sailor S
SubscriberSubscriber


Joined: 20 May 2009
Posts: 2841

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:30 pm Reply with quote
Silver Spoon seems like one of those titles that you have to watch it to tell if you'll like it or not, because that writeup makes it sound about as interesting as watching paint dry. I do hear a lot of good things about it, but having come from a rural, agricultural area (but I didn't live on a farm or do much farm related work) it wasn't a terribly interesting place, and I don't really care to see an anime about it either.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
CrownKlown



Joined: 05 May 2011
Posts: 1052

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:39 pm Reply with quote
I really don't understand why people are so enamored with Pyscho pass. But especially with Akane, she merely goes from one generic cliched character - a doormat following whatever she is told, to an equally generic cliched character - guilt ridden broken bird. Neither is particularly compelling, and given the angst ridden back stories of all the other characters, I can't say more than meh regarding her change.

Also I think most folks knew or should have known how broken the system is by just reading the synopsis and how the system "allegedly works", and if that was too much the first episode showed how broken it is when abused girl is judged to be a executable perpetrator.

And its not just Psycho Pass, nor is it just anime. I mean PMM, SAO, Avatar, you have these works that really are nothing special, yet for some reason they just hit some marks or buttons and are major success. I mean thats why or entertainment system is how it is, why you have things like Divergent being made at all, let alone 4 films, and why you have the anime system that we do with everything getting an adaptions but only 10-13 episodes. Because no one knows what will succeed, good works fail, and poor works sell, so the only solution is to put out a barrage of blind fire.

Back to PP, don't get me wrong, if I just take it as a stock sci fi thriller, then its a serviceable work, but its far from anything special like a lot of people make it out to be.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Shaterri



Joined: 03 Jan 2008
Posts: 59

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Seattle food is amazing - admittedly I'm biased, but it's one of the things I'm most spoiled by out here. FWIW, there's an amazing Japanese 'street food' restaurant, Kushibar, within long-walk distance from the convention if you have time and money to splurge. For coffee, I have to plug Seattle Coffee Works near the Pike Place Market; Monorail (which is a lot closer) is generally excellent but the weekend staff isn't as good as their weekday crew.

As far as anime itself goes... Very Happy I've had my eye on Silver Spoon for quite a while, but somehow I've never managed to take the plunge. I'm generally a big fan of Nothing Happens (And That's Okay) shows (as a friend of mine calls them), but usually there's something else that serves to pull me in, whether it's an interesting setting or visual style or some particularly compelling character (or, say, a fox. Hey, we all have our foibles! Razz ) But I never hear anyone talk about the characters on Silver Spoon, the setting is vaguely interesting but not really compelling, and visually... well, it's well-animated AFAICT but it just looks like A Show to me. Are the themes at play really enough to make up for all that? Or am I really underrating the other aspects of the show?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Managing Editor


Joined: 05 Jan 2002
Posts: 3777
Location: The OC

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:
In Hal spoiler[I found it a little tough to swallow that Hal happened to have the single specific mental delusion that allowed the twist in the plot to be pulled off, nor was the outcome of the twist terribly interesting.

Some of the hints and misdirection you see in a twist story was OK, like Hal being given intravenous nutrition or Q-1 appearing in the prologue in a man's hat and tie, belaying its feminine makeover as a replacement Kurumi, but other times it doesn't work; the robot Kurumi doesn't eat the food that Hal makes for her, but if it were trying to maintain an illusion of humanity, why didn't it throw the food away? Plus it eats some ice cream later, anyway.]


Argh, yes. spoiler[I can buy that Hal was so depressed after the accident that he believed that he was a robot. Sure. Okay. But how did he get from "I am a robot" to "I am a robot version of this guy I've never met, whose memories I don't have, because I am a robot" enough to the point where he thinks he's on a soul-saving mission to rescue Kurumi, whom he has no recollection of? Sure, I get maybe he has some kind of amnesia due to trauma or grief or whatever, but to be fully functional otherwise as a perfectly plucky robot?

It's just such a far-fetched "twist," and it's so haphazardly slapped together.

Also Hal is so deep into this idea of being a robot that he no longer understands how credit cards and money work, and doesn't have the social perception to not just take things? I don't care how delusional someone is, surely they don't forget basic things like that.]


It just felt like a twist for twist's sake.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
angelmcazares
SubscriberSubscriber


Joined: 23 Sep 2010
Posts: 1240
Location: Iscandar

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:52 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
And its not just Psycho Pass, nor is it just anime. I mean PMM, SAO, Avatar, you have these works that really are nothing special, yet for some reason they just hit some marks or buttons and are major success.


Are you comparing the inconsistent Sword Art Online with the great Madoka Magica? How dare you. If you cannot distinguishing between quality, your analysis of anime is pretty much worthless.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Managing Editor


Joined: 05 Jan 2002
Posts: 3777
Location: The OC

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:56 pm Reply with quote
Shaterri wrote:
But I never hear anyone talk about the characters on Silver Spoon, the setting is vaguely interesting but not really compelling, and visually... well, it's well-animated AFAICT but it just looks like A Show to me. Are the themes at play really enough to make up for all that? Or am I really underrating the other aspects of the show?


I guess it depends on how deeply you care about such themes to begin with. Like with the first season, if you don't care about where your food comes from, and you don't really care about/want to think about how the bacon got from the farm to the grocery store to your plate, then you won't really care as much. Likewise, if you're not much into animals, then I guess you wouldn't really care about the scenes with Hachiken and Maron, which I thought were really great.

Of all the characters, Hachiken and Aki are the most developed. I think Hachiken is a really interesting character, farm school aside. His personal journey is really relateable, I think, in terms of personal insecurities, feeling lost career/life-wise, dealing with unsupportive parents, etc. Silver Spoon is really sort of a slow burn, but I think it pays off.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Kazemon15



Joined: 24 Mar 2007
Posts: 315

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:56 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
CrownKlown wrote:
And its not just Psycho Pass, nor is it just anime. I mean PMM, SAO, Avatar, you have these works that really are nothing special, yet for some reason they just hit some marks or buttons and are major success.


Are you comparing the inconsistent Sword Art Online with the great Madoka Magica? How dare you. If you cannot distinguishing between quality, your analysis of anime is pretty much worthless.


Im sorry, what? Just because they have a different opinion, their analysis of anime is worthless? I happen to agree with CrownKlown. I don't think SAO or PMM are all that great. Psycho-Pass is up there too. I actually rated it down after seeing the last episode. It was just disappointing.

The "quality" of an anime is subjective. How dare you step on someone else's opinions just because they aren't the same as yours.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
phia_one



Joined: 15 Jan 2012
Posts: 563
Location: Pennsylvania

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:23 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
I really don't understand why people are so enamored with Pyscho pass. But especially with Akane, she merely goes from one generic cliched character - a doormat following whatever she is told, to an equally generic cliched character - guilt ridden broken bird. Neither is particularly compelling, and given the angst ridden back stories of all the other characters, I can't say more than meh regarding her change.


I don't think you were paying attention because Akane wasn't a doormat. In the very first episode, she spoiler[stopped Kougami from killing that girl just because the gun told him to. She shows an understanding that the system isn't always right.]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Rederoin



Joined: 29 May 2013
Posts: 715
Location: Europa

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:38 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
why you have the anime system that we do with everything getting an adaptions but only 10-13 episodes. Because no one knows what will succeed, good works fail, and poor works sell, so the only solution is to put out a barrage of blind fire.

I'm just going to have to correct you here, its far from blind fire. They aren't just taking huge risks whenever they make a new anime.

Sure, anime series can fail, but we rarely hear about that. How are we supposed to know if an anime failed or not if the production committee/publishers very rarely release statements about that for the non-mainstream series? Sure, we know a percentage of the disc sales & music sales. If the LN or manga ranks on Oricon, we know how big of a boost it had. But other numbers? Such a merch? Or other misc stuff, such as NHK-E shows or shows such as Tamayura (which was made to promote tourism)


I'll just ignore the whole 'good' & 'poor' part, since I don't want to get into a subjective debate.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
dtm42



Joined: 05 Feb 2008
Posts: 12637
Location: NZL

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:47 pm Reply with quote
I told you guys that Akane would get cooler in the second half.

The secret behind the Sybil System is indeed weird but I found I could accept it without too much effort. It makes sense within the context of the show. And along with Akane the Sybil System is the strongest part of Psycho-Pass; their relationship is the bedrock of the story. I liked how spoiler[the system was so rational and impartial (i.e. non corrupt), and it even admitted to her that it wasn't perfect and would happily step aside if there was a better one to replace it. Too many science fiction stories in all forms of media want to take down "The System" without thinking about what would happen next, as if they presume that the anarchy of revolution will automatically and instantly result in a superior system. That doesn't usually happen in real life. In Psycho-Pass the people were so dependent on the Sybil System that they could not function without it, and therefore overthrowing it would just have made things worse. That both the story and Akane could actually accept this impressed me greatly, and it was a logical outcome from what we saw of the citizens. And don't get me wrong, totalitarian societies should be overthrown, just not without a plan as to what happens next and what replaces it.]

Kazemon15 wrote:
The "quality" of an anime is subjective. How dare you step on someone else's opinions just because they aren't the same as yours.


People's appreciation for an anime are subjective. But its actual quality remains the same no matter who's watching. The way you claim it, the show or movie itself changes when someone different watches it, which is patently absurd. In reality, the anime stays the same and therefore its quality remains the same no matter who watches it. (Funnily enough, one can draw parallels to quantum physics.)

Mocking people's tastes can be uncool. If you like something then don't let someone else tell you that you're wrong and should hate it instead. And vice versa. But opinions are a different matter, because they can be factually incorrect (and often are).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
Blood-
SubscriberSubscriber


Joined: 07 Mar 2009
Posts: 14535
Location: Toronto, Canada

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:06 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
But opinions are a different matter, because they can be factually incorrect (and often are).


Laughing I am of the opinion that anyone who doesn't understand the difference between a fact and an opinion is incredibly stupid. From dictionary.com:


Quote:
opinion

1. a belief or judgment that rests on grounds insufficient to produce complete certainty.
2. a personal view, attitude, or appraisal.




Quote:
fact

1. something that actually exists; reality; truth.


What kind of crap education system does New Zealand have when one of its graduates cannot distinguish between what constitutes an opinion and what constitutes a fact? It's not a particularly subtle distinction between the two. Shameful.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group