• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Hal I Met Your Mother

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rederoin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:09 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

People's appreciation for an anime are subjective. But its actual quality remains the same no matter who's watching. The way you claim it, the show or movie itself changes when someone different watches it, which is patently absurd. In reality, the anime stays the same and therefore its quality remains the same no matter who watches it. (Funnily enough, one can draw parallels to quantum physics.)

Since we are talking about the quality of entertainment(which is what anime is), I would argue that the quality does change from person to person.

Yes, what happens on the screen does not change. But the entertainment value does change. The quality of entertainment/a story/characters is, and always will be, subjective.

Last edited by Rederoin on Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:10 pm Reply with quote
phia_one wrote:
CrownKlown wrote:
I really don't understand why people are so enamored with Pyscho pass. But especially with Akane, she merely goes from one generic cliched character - a doormat following whatever she is told, to an equally generic cliched character - guilt ridden broken bird. Neither is particularly compelling, and given the angst ridden back stories of all the other characters, I can't say more than meh regarding her change.

I don't think you were paying attention because Akane wasn't a doormat. In the very first episode, she spoiler[stopped Kougami from killing that girl just because the gun told him to. She shows an understanding that the system isn't always right.]

And yet... when the time came to save a certain someone...............

I feel like it's more about her being unwilling to hurt others than anything else. But at her very core, she believes/believed the system is/was right, or else ep. 11 never would've came about and had the same impact.

Hell, (most) everyone in that society deeply believes in the Sybil system. That's how you can have those scenes where people are getting murdered in plain sight, but nobody bats an eye because they're brainwashed to rely on the system.
phia_one

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:33 pm Reply with quote
ANN_Bamboo wrote:
phia_one wrote:
CrownKlown wrote:
I really don't understand why people are so enamored with Pyscho pass. But especially with Akane, she merely goes from one generic cliched character - a doormat following whatever she is told, to an equally generic cliched character - guilt ridden broken bird. Neither is particularly compelling, and given the angst ridden back stories of all the other characters, I can't say more than meh regarding her change.

I don't think you were paying attention because Akane wasn't a doormat. In the very first episode, she spoiler[stopped Kougami from killing that girl just because the gun told him to. She shows an understanding that the system isn't always right.]

And yet... when the time came to save a certain someone...............

I feel like it's more about her being unwilling to hurt others than anything else. But at her very core, she believes/believed the system is/was right, or else ep. 11 never would've came about and had the same impact.

But she obviously didn't agree with the System's choice in that instance I mentioned which was to disprove CrownKlown's claim that she was a doormat that did everything she was told.

Last edited by phia_one on Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:53 pm; edited 2 times in total
sakurahitagi

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:37 pm Reply with quote
I really liked PsychoPass (ordered it from Funimation as soon as it was available). Bamboo, I agree that the truth about the Sybil System caused some eye-rolling but I still like the series a lot overall. And I agree with dtm42's point that the series looks at an interesting question usually not covered in many sci fi series spoiler[ what would replace the broken system?]
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Kazemon15 wrote:
Im sorry, what? Just because they have a different opinion, their analysis of anime is worthless? I happen to agree with CrownKlown. I don't think SAO or PMM are all that great. Psycho-Pass is up there too. I actually rated it down after seeing the last episode. It was just disappointing.

The "quality" of an anime is subjective. How dare you step on someone else's opinions just because they aren't the same as yours.

I am questioning CrownKlown's judgement on anime because to my having SAO and PMMM in the same sentence implies that both animes have a very similar level quality.

I know that saying that anime can be analyzed OBJECTIVELY is frown upon, but I cannot trust the opinion of anyone who says or implies that SAO is close in terms of quality writing and execution to PMMM. On a scale of 1 to 10, Madoka Magica (tv series) is a 10 and Sword Art Online a 7 at most.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:51 pm Reply with quote
Silver Spoon is one of the best series of 2013-2014. Hiromu Arakawa is one of my favorite writers/artists. Whether it be a fictional or realistic setting she is able to make everything hit so close to home. I just love how real this series has been. There are no deus ex moments, no faulty anime logic etc. Everything that this show touches on happens often in the real world and it brings up issues that we as humans never even think about sometimes. The morality of raising animals as food (may pork bowl rest in peace!) was one that i really found myself being perplexed by. It’s not a pretty business but it’s how things go regardless of how wrong it may seem at times. This was also very informative and gave me a new appreciation for farm life as well. I always love shows that can make you want to part of such an experience yourself.

Regarding the last episode spoiler[I have to say Hachiken’s mom is actually pretty awesome. She’s one of those submissive mothers who never really questions the husbands decisions since he probably pays most of the bills with his job. I’m not sure what she sees in him but maybe that’ll be elaborated on later. Her visiting Hachiken is probably one of the only times she’s be able to actually cut loose because of how much of a downer her husband is. But i think seeing Hachiken stand up to him might have in turn given her more courage to stand up to him too one day.] The experiences Hachiken has gone through have turned him into someone who can give strength to anyone he’s around whether he’s aware of it or not. Truly one of the best developed characters i have ever seen. I’ll truly miss this series but i still wouldn’t be surprised by a sequel later down the line since the anime has came pretty close to catching up to the manga. Even if the manga is very popular in it’s own right i’m sure that the anime boost still very effective for it which sometimes is the only reason a studio needs to continue a series.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:05 pm Reply with quote
You are a very generous person angelmcazares. If SAO is a seven then PMMM broke the rating scale and is beyond the impossible.

leatherhead333 wrote:
Silver Spoon is one of the best series of 2013-2014.

The focus on humanities' relationship with food and on the financial pressure of farming are really well done. But the aesops (like in the showjumping episode) are often screwed up, often contorted to dump on Hachiken (sometimes literally) rather than allowing him to learn a genuine lesson.

However, my real problem with the show is Hachiken himself. Nobody talks that way. Nobody acts that way. He comes across to me as being some sort of fictional outlet for the emotionally reserved Japanese to express their innermost feelings and be open with one another. Or perhaps he is supposed to be a direct criticism of said Japanese mentality. At any rate, he does not talk nor act like any person I have ever met. His family life and the expectations placed on him are relatable, but he himself is not. It was bad in the first season and the second season was even worse in some ways.

Rederoin wrote:
Since we are talking about the quality of entertainment(which is what anime is), I would argue that the quality does change from person to person.

Yes, what happens on the screen does not change. But the entertainment value does change. The quality of entertainment/a story/characters is, and always will be, subjective.

Entertainment value changes depending on the person, no doubt about that. What one person thinks is funny might completely turn another person off the show, for example. And it isn't just liited to humour but entertainment in general. That's why I said "appreciation" in my previous post. So you're right about that. But the characters don't change just because someone else is now watching them. The story doesn't change from person to person. It's still the same show. Only the viewer changes. Everyone in an audience projects their inherent biases and tastes onto everything they watch. The characters and story don't change even though people's appreciation for them does.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:15 pm Reply with quote
Oh Psycho-pass, how your whole "sybil system" setup/rationale was destroyed by Hollywood's current movie Captain America: TWS.

The "mighty" urobutcher laid low by a comic book adaptation...
Quote:
...I would encourage those who want a good action show to check [Psycho-pass] out.
That's probably the only way that PP can be truthfully labeled as being "good". If you go "along for the ride" (ie:accept everything at face value and question nothing) and watch it for the explosions and violence, ie: for Michael Bay reasons, then it might be good. If you watch it looking for something more than you'll be sorely disappointed.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:15 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
You are a very generous person angelmcazares. If SAO is a seven then PMMM broke the rating scale and is beyond the impossible.

I can be persuaded into giving SAO a So-so rating, but your Awful rating of it is harsh in my opinion. You have to at least give SAO credit for its good looking visuals and well crafted/choreographed boss fights.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:44 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
I can be persuaded into giving SAO a So-so rating, but your Awful rating of it is harsh in my opinion. You have to at least give SAO credit for its good looking visuals and well crafted/choreographed boss fights.

Fights and visuals are low on my list of what makes an anime good. Sure, entertaining - I like a good fight scene more than most, and I did gush about Gleam Eyes - but not good.

However, you do have a genuine point, in that my rating of Awful is a tad harsh. I have therefore bumped it up to Bad. The incest angle, the characters, the sexism, the harem, the narrative and the writing all conspire to makes SAO a stinker. It just ain't quite as smelly as I my initial rating said it was.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:47 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
dtm42 wrote:

If you were a judge in a cooking competition would you give a so-so judgement on a dish that looked good, smelled good, but tasted like crap?

Visuals are nice but they are pretty unimportant if the content isn't worth the time of day and is riddled with annoying factors.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:53 pm Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:
Oh Psycho-pass, how your whole "sybil system" setup/rationale was destroyed by Hollywood's current movie Captain America: TWS.

Now, see, I disagree.

What made the set-up of Psycho-Pass interesting to me, as someone with a diagnosed mental illness, is that it didn't have a one-size-fits-all answer like Minority Report or the baddies in CA:TWS. Rather than jailing people for predicted precrimes or spoiler[sending drones on anyone who is considered a possible threat], Psycho-Pass is all about court-ordered therapy. The first stage is to send people in for treatment. We never see the countless thousands who do that every day. We only see the small handful who manage to hide from the system and escalate to the point that the system is okay with them being eradicated.

And when you consider the stigma against people with mental illnesses - think of what the term "psycho" connotes, or how any time there's a mass shooting, the media immediately starts speculating on whether they were mentally ill - I could see a system of mandated psychiatric treatment developing, especially in a society as conformity-driven as Japan. And if you think society wouldn't give police a carte blanche to kill anyone deemed too immediate a threat... well, I wish cops in America had a system like the one in this series as opposed to just relying on instinct like they do now.

I know that makes me sound very cynical, but I thought that Urobuchi was actually getting at some pretty potent social critique of reliance on testing, social conformity, and blind trust of our police forces, all things that already exist. No, the Psycho-Pass system as in the show could never exist, but we already have pale imitations of it working everywhere.

And that is why I loved it.
MacAttack270

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:05 pm Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:
That's probably the only way that PP can be truthfully labeled as being "good". If you go "along for the ride" (ie:accept everything at face value and question nothing) and watch it for the explosions and violence, ie: for Michael Bay reasons, then it might be good. If you watch it looking for something more than you'll be sorely disappointed.

I don't know about that. It's this type of comment here that is souring me on a lot of the fans on this site. It reeks of self-importance and bull. As if ANYONE could actually enjoy PP without having to turn off their brain. I must be another one of the cretins who questions nothing and takes everything at face value.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:07 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

leatherhead333 wrote:
Silver Spoon is one of the best series of 2013-2014.

The focus on humanities' relationship with food and on the financial pressure of farming are really well done. But the aesops (like in the showjumping episode) are often screwed up, often contorted to dump on Hachiken (sometimes literally) rather than allowing him to learn a genuine lesson.

However, my real problem with the show is Hachiken himself. Nobody talks that way. Nobody acts that way. He comes across to me as being some sort of fictional outlet for the emotionally reserved Japanese to express their innermost feelings and be open with one another. Or perhaps he is supposed to be a direct criticism of said Japanese mentality. At any rate, he does not talk nor act like any person I have ever met. His family life and the expectations placed on him are relatable, but he himself is not. It was bad in the first season and the second season was even worse in some ways.

Well i think it should be known that just about every character in anime doesn't act like a normal person. After all do you know anyone who constantly yells about the crazy things other people do? Wink

Hachiken actually has many qualities that I find myself being able to relate too. The show identifies him as the "Yes" man because he can never say no to someone who needs help. I do believe people like this exist in this world (i used to be one of them after all) and they usually get taken advantage of and are to nice to just politely decline. While the show makes light of this many times it sometimes irritated me since it felt like everyone was just using him to get what they wanted most of the time. The one time he did say "no" was actually pretty nice and showed some subtle growth in his character. He pretty much went off to college to get away from his parents (mainly his father) and as the poster stated haven't we all had arguments with our parents over such matters? In japan i believe it's pretty taboo to do such a thing but hey......it's anime Razz.

As for the way he talks I think Hachiken does show signs of having social anxiety when the show first started which is why he always stuttered when he spoke. OCD could also be a symptom since i've noticed that he obsesses over every little thing (the other characters even point this out) and freaks out when things don't go as planned. He even had trouble accepting not placing at the horse tournament so i do think that he has a good share of issues. If nothing else he has a pretty big inferiority complex since he doesn't ever think of himself highly which only adds to the list of inner demons he is constantly fighting.

Now do all these things rolled up into one make a realistic character? Of course not. But i that there is a certain quality of Hachiken's overall character that we all can relate to as some point which can't be said for most anime characters these days.
meiam

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:19 pm Reply with quote
What a surprise! The show were the cop use incredibly complex gun that are far less useful than just regular gun except for the fact that they can't cause friendly fire but then have criminal use them, meaning they can cause friendly fire and also involve setting criminal free in the city and who also have a main character who seems to have absolutely no idea what her job entail despite just coming out of training turned out to have a really stupid system behind it. Who. Would. believe. that? Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5