• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ghibli Casts Its 1st Film With 2 Female Leads & All-English Theme Song

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jet_

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:03 pm Reply with quote
I haven't been this excited for a Ghibli movie in ages.
ZanraiKid

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:18 pm Reply with quote
So first off, what about My Neighbor Totoro? That had two female leads. With that said...

The more I read the article, the more I thought, "Hey, this is like Frozen". Then I saw the heroines, and I thought, "Well, they kind of resemble Anna and Elsa." Then I read the last sentence and went, "Oh."

This is going to be a really interesting film to follow, considering Hayao Miyazaki is not involved at all. Not that I think this will be awful, but one only has to look to Studio Gainax and what became of them when Hideaki Anno and Hiroyuki Imaishi left to found Khara and Trigger respectively. All the best for Ghibli in the future.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:29 pm Reply with quote
Zanra:
Quote:
Not that I think this will be awful,

No, it definitely will be awful, because of Goro. I mean, Ghibli used to be the company Disney looked to for "inspiration". Now because of him, it's borrowing off of Disney's lazy formulas. How the mighty have fallen.

Quote:
but one only has to look to Studio Gainax and what became of them when Hideaki Anno and Hiroyuki Imaishi left to found Khara and Trigger respectively.

Gainax was always a terrible company. They just had enough fanboys willing to overhype them for decades until recently.
Pangea

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Yes!! Ghibli with female lead is the best!! Also stop whining about Goro, move on!

Last edited by Pangea on Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Keyl

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:37 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Zanra:
Quote:
Not that I think this will be awful,

No, it definitely will be awful, because of Goro. I mean, Ghibli used to be the company Disney looked to for "inspiration". Now because of him, it's borrowing off of Disney's lazy formulas. How the mighty have fallen.

Quote:
but one only has to look to Studio Gainax and what became of them when Hideaki Anno and Hiroyuki Imaishi left to found Khara and Trigger respectively.

Gainax was always a terrible company. They just had enough fanboys willing to overhype them for decades until recently.

Geez, you must be a hoot to be with.

Can't wait to see what the result this will lead.
jet_

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:39 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

When Marnie Was There was published in 2002.
Quote:

This terrible company produced such classics as Nadia, NGE, FLCL, Mahoromatic, Abenobashi, Gunbuster and TTGL.
MarthKoopa

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:51 pm Reply with quote
So is this going to be Yuri?
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:55 pm Reply with quote
jet:
Quote:
When Marnie Was There was published in 2002.

Yes, but it's obvious which movie they're referencing for the adaptation.
jet_

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:26 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Yes, but it's obvious which movie they're referencing for the adaptation.

Then Marnie Was There's plot is nothing like Frozen's plot.
The only similarity is that there are two female leads, and that's not uncommon in movies.
albanian

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:35 pm Reply with quote
While I can fully appreciate the desire to relocate the story to a Japanese site, I would have been fascinated to see how Ghibli would have coped with portraying the book's original setting. I imagine a Norfolk-style landscape is quite rare in Japan, but I suspect it's vast, wide-open, and hauntingly melancholic vistas might well have drawn some interesting work from the Ghibli animators. Not for nothing did Noel Coward once remark: 'Very flat, Norfolk.'
Akeema

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:37 pm Reply with quote
ZanraiKid wrote:
So first off, what about My Neighbor Totoro? That had two female leads.

Exactly what I thought too.
Banken

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:09 pm Reply with quote
I love Blue Water, but I admit Nadia was kind of a bitch for most of the series.

Then again, that makes her a more realistic character...

Also, changing the setting of the novel (just like with Arietty...how the hell did they get to Japan?) seems completely superfluous.

Hopefully it won't be another Gedo Senki.
koinosuke

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:10 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

No, it definitely will be awful, because of Goro. I mean, Ghibli used to be the company Disney looked to for "inspiration". Now because of him, it's borrowing off of Disney's lazy formulas. How the mighty have fallen. .

Goro has nothing to do with this movie, nor is he in charge of the Studio in any way like your post seems to be indicating. And how does his one lesser film from 2006 change anything?
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:13 pm Reply with quote
I was thinking Totoro as well, but I guess their argument is that Totoro while a Miyazaki film is pre Ghibli; I also think Nausicaa and Princess are also borderline examples as both have primarily a female lead, a female antagonist, and the male seems like a side character in both.
ZanraiKid

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:42 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
I was thinking Totoro as well, but I guess their argument is that Totoro while a Miyazaki film is pre Ghibli;

My Neighbor Totoro

My Neighbor Totoro's encyclopedia entry states Ghibli as the production company. Yeah, I'm going to call out Oricon on this. If Mei isn't a main lead, than what could you classify her? Is it because Totoro is technically a lead? Just curious on the matter.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3