• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sony Sells Its Entire Stake in Square Enix

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:20 am Reply with quote
And.... we're done. That's a wrap people... nothing left to see here.
Can't say I'm too sad if Square-Enix never makes another game. They haven't made anything I liked since FFX.

And yes, I know SONY selling their shares doesn't mean SE is going out of business, but I have this feeling their games are going to keep on sucking even more now.
king 47

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:22 am Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
Can't say I'm too sad if Square-Enix never makes another game. They haven't made anything I liked since FFX.

And yes, I know SONY selling their shares doesn't mean SE is going out of business, but I have this feeling their games are going to keep on sucking even more now.

You know this is because Sony is big financial trouble? I don't think much of this has to do with SE. SE will go down the toilet with their mobile goals and junk games though.
Niello

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:29 am Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:

Hmm? Isn't it SONY that seems to be in trouble?

EDIT: Err, looks like my post isn't too necessary...
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:34 am Reply with quote
Can't say anything about Sony TV's, but had nothing but problems with their VAIO laptops.

Hopefully, it doesn't mean the demise of Square-Enix. Perhaps they will rethink their decision on mobile games also.
tangytangerine

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:38 am Reply with quote
Niello wrote:
Hmm? Isn't it SONY that seems to be in trouble?

Yeah, they have some divisions that were posting huge losses for years(tv & pc divisions). Sony's sold some of the properties that are home to their regional headquarters(including their Japan & U.S. HQs). They then turn around & rent them from the new owners, as it's cheaper for them to do that than to keep paying taxes on that land(plus they got the money from selling the property).

All this stock selling is is probably just a way for them to have more cash on hand, just in case. I don't think it's that they have no confidence in SE, as their games sell decently(although SE thinks they bomb apparently if they don't meet their expectations).
Bolaum

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:49 am Reply with quote
I really dislike Sony for selling their PS4 console for 2k dollars here. And it really means nothing for SE, as said before it's Sony that is in trouble.

The only SE game I'm playing now is FFXIV and it won't (hopefuly) affect it.

Last edited by Bolaum on Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:56 am; edited 1 time in total
LavenderMintRose

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:54 am Reply with quote
More concerned about SE's manga than their games. Don't they publish G Fantasy and Shonen Gangan, or am I getting it completely wrong?
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:56 am Reply with quote
I'd like to know why Sony fanboys on game sites and Neo Gaf are spinning this as a good thing? This is BAD news for Sony outright.

Not only does this mean that SE will no longer develop games for Playstation, but this puts the kabosh on future partnerships from SqaureEnix, kiss KH4 on PS4 goodbye.

And yeah, what every else here said, Sony is in serious financial distress. They are $30 billion in debt and sinking in red, further and further by the quarters. If they can't turn their core market around, kiss SCEI goodbye in 2016. Because if they don't sell SCEI, they'll file for bankruptcy.

PS4 cannot under any circumstance change that, nor can it undo $15 billion dollars worth of losses on PS3.

Also, what's with this stupid talking point that Sony can survive alone on Playstation and that they should sell off their core Electronics brand? Did the fanboys not realize, that Sony's MAIN business has ALWAYS been electronics?
Bolaum

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:58 am Reply with quote
GrilledEelHamatsu wrote:

Not only does this mean that SE will no longer develop games for Playstation, but this puts the kabosh on future partnerships from SqaureEnix, kiss KH4 on PS4 goodbye.

Well SE is releasing FFXIV for PS4 soon. It's already in beta. I don't know how this business work tho.
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:58 am Reply with quote
Like many have already said this is Sony trying to improve its financial position and possibly just freeing up some cash, nothing more.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mgosdin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:00 pm Reply with quote
tangytangerine wrote:

Yeah, they have some divisions that were posting huge losses for years(tv & pc divisions). Sony's sold some of the properties that are home to their regional headquarters(including their Japan & U.S. HQs). They then turn around & rent them from the new owners, as it's cheaper for them to do that than to keep paying taxes on that land(plus they got the money from selling the property).

All this stock selling is is probably just a way for them to have more cash on hand, just in case. I don't think it's that they have no confidence in SE, as their games sell decently(although SE thinks they bomb apparently if they don't meet their expectations).

They've already sold off the VAIO / PC business to an investment group and I believe their TV business is on the block. They appear to be intent on concentrating on their Photography business ( Former Minolta camera business plus their own homegrown Cybershot cameras. )and Gaming business with the odd remanents of their consumer electronics business bringing up the rear.

Quite a change from the SONY of old.

Mark Gosdin
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Abandon ship. From being among the gold standard of 3rd party Japanese developers and who gamers looked to for the next big JRPG to developing Light Novel RPGS and smart phone games and having one of the biggest multimedia corporations in the world very publicly demonstrate they've lost confidence in you. Hopefully FFXIV will survive cause I do like that game, but wow what a blow Square Enix just took.
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:08 pm Reply with quote
Bolaum wrote:
GrilledEelHamatsu wrote:

Well SE is releasing FFXIV for PS4 soon. It's already in beta. I don't know how this business work tho.

It ends future projects. FFXIV was previously PS3 developed and made.

Sony had stake in Sqaure for over 15 years, to ensure platform support and exclusive deals for Playstation. Not only does this mean that PS4 will never have anymore exclusives or strong IPs from SE, this also means that SE can abandon support for Playstation anytime they wish. Selling off stake indicates that the companies are no longer doing business with each other.
Bolaum

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:13 pm Reply with quote
GrilledEelHamatsu wrote:

It ends future projects. FFXIV was previously PS3 developed and made.

Sony had stake in Sqaure for over 15 years, to ensure platform support and exclusive deals for Playstation. Not only does this mean that PS4 will never have anymore exclusives or strong IPs from SE, this also means that SE can abandon support for Playstation anytime they wish. Selling off stake indicates that the companies are no longer doing business with each other.

Interesting. Just a quick correction from my previous post: FFXIV is already on PS4. Just checked my e-mail Razz
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:17 pm Reply with quote
mgosdin wrote:
tangytangerine wrote:

They've already sold off the VAIO / PC business to an investment group and I believe their TV business is on the block. They appear to be intent on concentrating on their Photography business ( Former Minolta camera business plus their own homegrown Cybershot cameras. )and Gaming business with the odd remanents of their consumer electronics business bringing up the rear.

Quite a change from the SONY of old.

Mark Gosdin

Even attempting to save their Photography business is futile. Olympus and JVC have them beat.

Their TV business is dismal. LG and Toshiba are clobbering them in sales,market share and demand.

Remnants? You do know that Electronics is their core business right? You CANNOT sell off your core business or cut it down to size and expect to be okay. Your risking bankrupting your entire company.

Core Markets is basically the heart of the company, if you attempt to cut it out, your killing the whole company. If Sony were to do what their idiotic PS fanboys want them to do, they would tank and go under and be forced to liquidate all assets and equity to hundreds of investors.

It's all about where most of the stake and capital is at. It's not in Playstation and never has been.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6