• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sony Sells Its Entire Stake in Square Enix

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:37 pm Reply with quote
kevinx59 wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:
Expect to see the Coleco Telestar Plus in stores by next Christmas. It will be a Next-Next-Gen game console/tablet/waffle iron.

So it plays games, is portable, hd, AND makes food? I'd buy that. Oh, and i like the name telestar.i really do.

No, HD is a thing of the past. 4K wafflevision is the future.

The controller will also be a waffle. Gameplay will be controlled via the application of syrup.
Ascalon8

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:57 pm Reply with quote
GrilledEelHamatsu wrote:
I'd like to know why Sony fanboys on game sites and Neo Gaf are spinning this as a good thing? This is BAD news for Sony outright.

Not only does this mean that SE will no longer develop games for Playstation, but this puts the kabosh on future partnerships from SqaureEnix, kiss KH4 on PS4 goodbye.

And yeah, what every else here said, Sony is in serious financial distress. They are $30 billion in debt and sinking in red, further and further by the quarters. If they can't turn their core market around, kiss SCEI goodbye in 2016. Because if they don't sell SCEI, they'll file for bankruptcy.

PS4 cannot under any circumstance change that, nor can it undo $15 billion dollars worth of losses on PS3.

Also, what's with this stupid talking point that Sony can survive alone on Playstation and that they should sell off their core Electronics brand? Did the fanboys not realize, that Sony's MAIN business has ALWAYS been electronics?

1. You do realize that there are other people who Sony doesn't own share for (like Activision) and yet still make games for them right?
2. From a business perspective, they might as well, since Square no longer sees them as the one and only money spinner. Besides, since the quality of Final Fantasy shrunk to mediocre levels, I would to.
3. In this day and age, I'd rather keep the Tales of Series and Persona over Final Fantasy anyday.

Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:42 am Reply with quote
Hey guys,
we can't tell if it's bad or good.
For example, sony could sell their shares because they expect that the stock price will fall.
Later they can buy it back for a cheap price and will make some earnings. this is usual in the business world .

It is true that it could also mean that sony is not doing so well or that they are unsatisfied with square .
we can't tell because we don't have the figures.

There are a lot of reasons for selling shares and we can't tell if it's good or bad news without more information.

And remember, they have only 8,25%. This means that Sony has some influence but doesn't own Square Enix .
Polycell

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:07 am Reply with quote
It could also mean that they're certain enough of Squeenix's favoring them in the future they no longer feel the need for the influence over the liquidity.
MarzGurl

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:16 pm Reply with quote
Somebody a few pages back mentioned something about Square Enix having made the jump to cross platform several years ago. Which is kinda true... in the US, anyway. Final Fantasy XIII was only released on the PS3 in Japan. But it went PS3 and 360 in North America. Japanese fanboys were PISSED.

All I'm saying is, at least in Japan, there's likely not going to be a problem with SE continuing to publish on Sony consoles.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:22 pm Reply with quote
The 360 version was eventually released in Japan and all the sequels have come out on both with no delay. The Last Remnant was only released on the 360. They published a few other games on the 360 also before.

So even in Japan it's not different. Also Square has made and published plenty of games on the DS/3DS as well.

They've been multiplatform since basically the PS2 days.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Nanashrew

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:29 pm Reply with quote
All this means is Sony is continuing to try to get money back into their company as they further restructure and streamline their company. If you haven't been paying attention, Sony has been laying off a lot of people and shutting down a lot of their studios. Even just last month one of their Sony Pictures studios was shut down here in Texas.

And for those wondering what their most profitable division is, it's insurance and little else.

This will not stop Square Enix from developing games for the PS4 and if they did it would be the most boneheaded move with how fast PS4 is selling.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:07 am Reply with quote
Newest game from Square Enix: Final Fantasy Crush

Match characters from Final Fantasy to score points.

Do special matching for power ups and costume changing.

Coming to your iPhone or Android soon.

Not a big fan of Square Enix, though I did like FF10, FF10 X2. and Kingdom Hearts.

Hopefully the above, while exaggerated, is not where Square Enix is going.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6