• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Hatsune Miku to Open For Lady Gaga

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sunflower

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:36 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
zensunni wrote:
Does Lady Gaga realize that it is a bad idea when the virtual opening act sounds more like a real person than her auto-tuned albums? LOL

A lot of artists use autotune, even your favorite artists/musician probably use them too.

Mine don't. I hate the sound of it and can hear it anywhere. A singer should be able to sing without it, and that's what I enjoy hearing. It's why I gravitate toward older music.

In all fairness to LG though, she's not a singer, she's an entertainer, which is something rather different. Autotune is all a part of that package.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:06 pm Reply with quote
sunflower wrote:
mdo7 wrote:

A lot of artists use autotune, even your favorite artists/musician probably use them too.

Mine don't. I hate the sound of it and can hear it anywhere. A singer should be able to sing without it, and that's what I enjoy hearing. It's why I gravitate toward older music.

In all fairness to LG though, she's not a singer, she's an entertainer, which is something rather different. Autotune is all a part of that package.

As I said, how do you know your artists don't use autotune, I know couple of artists that said they don't like autotune but ended up admitting using it. For example, Michael Buble criticized auto-tune but admitted to using one. I also know artists that denied using auto-tune but in the end admitted that they use auto-tune, so you see maybe your artists used auto-tune for their songs and they're not going to fess it up to their fans quickly.

I'm not a big fan of auto-tune but then again, this is why I wish US had shows like Music Bank, Inkigaiyo, and M! Countdown in the US, so we can get our popular US artists to sing live every week to proof to the public they can really sing and not a person using auto-tune to cover up their problem.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Tiggyz wrote:
johnndergrosse wrote:
This upsets me, because I feel like Gaga is using Miku as a sideshow to drum up publicity.

It could be worse. Miku could be the opening act for a Beiber or a One Direction concert

Wow, real original. Hey, 2011 called. They want their easy targets back.
Tiggyz

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:
Tiggyz wrote:
johnndergrosse wrote:
This upsets me, because I feel like Gaga is using Miku as a sideshow to drum up publicity.

It could be worse. Miku could be the opening act for a Beiber or a One Direction concert

I couldn't think of any other horrible western pop singers at the time
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:38 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:

I'm not a big fan of auto-tune but then again, this is why I wish US had shows like Music Bank, Inkigaiyo, and M! Countdown in the US, so we can get our popular US artists to sing live every week to proof to the public they can really sing and not a person using auto-tune to cover up their problem.

Who even cares? Like the music you like. If you enjoy an artist who sounds better using autotune, cool. Everything else is fine as well. It's not some dumb purity contest.

I don't know why autotune is being used to slag off American pop singers in a thread about Lady Gaga who has some of the best pipes around for a pop singer. I've seen her perform in circumstances where the acoustics were absolutely terrible and it was clear the backing track wasn't helping her, and she was still knocking it out of the park.

Also super dumb that people are using autotune to slam American pop singers while talking about their love of Hatsune effing Miku.
Mikeski

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Also super dumb that people are using autotune to slam American pop singers while talking about their love of Hatsune effing Miku.

Eh, that makes "sense" from the music-snob side. Someone using Miku is doing exactly what they claim to be doing: programming a synth. Someone using autotune is using a crutch to do what they claim to be doing. (Assuming they need it to hit notes, and they're not just using it for vocal effects when they're a competent singer otherwise, like Ms. Gaga.)

See also: drum machines suck, sampled hip-hop sucks, picked bass sucks, drum triggers suck, synth orchestral sounds suck, click tracks suck, etc.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

I don't know why autotune is being used to slag off American pop singers in a thread about Lady Gaga who has some of the best pipes around for a pop singer. I've seen her perform in circumstances where the acoustics were absolutely terrible and it was clear the backing track wasn't helping her, and she was still knocking it out of the park.

Yeah Zac, I don't know why people are turning this into soapboxing about auto-tune, last time I checked auto-tune has been used for a long time, even before some (maybe most of us) on ANN were born. So yeah, that's why I focus on artists in more then just singing if they can dance, act, etc... That makes up for the auto-tune, beside it'll continue to be used anyway, so why do people even complain anyway?? It's not only American artists that are using auto-tune, Japanese artists use them too Shocked, so why don't they go after Japanese artists for using auto-tune, oh yeah because to some people Japanese artists "can't do no wrong".
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dandelion_rose

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:32 pm Reply with quote
If anyone listened to Gaga's last two albums (Born This Way and Artpop) you'll know that whatever autotune used isn't done heavily. Her natural voice is still very clear -- she has a very strong guttural voice, very different from the slightly mechanical sound of autotune.

I think a lot of people still associate Gaga to her Fame and Fame Monster days when she was singing dance chart toppers. Her recent songs have been very different. They're a lot darker and a lot are more personal.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:16 pm Reply with quote
Tiggyz wrote:
Animeking1108 wrote:
Tiggyz wrote:
johnndergrosse wrote:

I couldn't think of any other horrible western pop singers at the time

Japan loves One Direction though, and Japan loves Miku, so they wouldn't mind an One Direction x Miku concert.

Mikeski wrote:
Zac wrote:

Eh, that makes "sense" from the music-snob side. Someone using Miku is doing exactly what they claim to be doing: programming a synth. Someone using autotune is using a crutch to do what they claim to be doing.

In the end, both sounds still autotune though, and that's what matters to people.
omiya

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:38 am Reply with quote
An interesting little clip on Hatsune Miku's performance at day 2 of Animelo Summer Live 2012:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8-RVHyqr-8
mdo7

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:20 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

Japan loves One Direction though, and Japan loves Miku, so they wouldn't mind an One Direction x Miku concert.

Well, that would give her more publicity if this was to happen.

Enurtsol wrote:
Mikeski wrote:

Eh, that makes "sense" from the music-snob side. Someone using Miku is doing exactly what they claim to be doing: programming a synth. Someone using autotune is using a crutch to do what they claim to be doing.

In the end, both sounds still autotune though, and that's what matters to people.

Exactly, so why do people make autotune a big matter, since it's already been use for a long time. A lot of artists use them, even the one that people think don't use them but turn out they do.
Mikeski

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:11 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
Enurtsol wrote:
Mikeski wrote:

Exactly, so why do people make autotune a big matter, since it's already been use for a long time. A lot of artists use them, even the one that people think don't use them but turn out they do.

Because you are both discounting that other people care about things like compositional talent and musicianship, and not just the end result. Not everyone in the "autotune sucks" crowd is making the argument that autotune just sounds bad, some are making the argument that it's like tracing the Mona Lisa and calling it your own masterful art. And, given autotune's recent surge in popularity, it must look to them like the whole pop music industry is now made up of the sons and daughters of Milli Vanilli. Confused

(For those not into the pop music of 25 years ago... Milli Vanilli won a Grammy Award... and then had it taken away when it turned out "their" songs were actually sung by other people, and they were really just lip-syncing dancers.)
mdo7

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Mikeski wrote:

Because you are both discounting that other people care about things like compositional talent and musicianship, and not just the end result. Not everyone in the "autotune sucks" crowd is making the argument that autotune just sounds bad, some are making the argument that it's like tracing the Mona Lisa and calling it your own masterful art. And, given autotune's recent surge in popularity, it must look to them like the whole pop music industry is now made up of the sons and daughters of Milli Vanilli. Confused

(For those not into the pop music of 25 years ago... Milli Vanilli won a Grammy Award... and then had it taken away when it turned out "their" songs were actually sung by other people, and they were really just lip-syncing dancers.)

Dude, Cher was the first artist to use auto-tune, should she be hated for using auto-tune?? Is that what you saying?? As I said, auto-tune is here to stay, do I like it? No, but then again this is why I want my artists to sing live at concert, and on radio. To see if the singer is really good.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:20 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
Dude, Cher was the first artist to use auto-tune, should she be hated for using auto-tune??

Oh, heavens no, there are plenty of reasons! Wink
Mikeski

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:14 am Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
[...]?? Is that what you saying??

Perhaps you could read my posts to find out what I am saying? A shrill and over-punctuated denunciation of a position I do not hold makes you look foolish.

spoiler[A hint, in case it's needed: Notice the parts of my posts where I talk about the use of autotune by people who can sing otherwise, versus the use of autotune by people who cannot sing otherwise.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5