• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fate/stay night [first anime] -- Arturia's true ending?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blayze

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Fate/stay night [first anime]; why I love it, and why I hate the ending, and what are we getting with the remake?

Ok guys, sorry this is gonna be a really long post, and I apologize up front, but this story is like my all time epic favorite tale [Saber's route] Arturia is my utter favorite character of all time, and i just got through watching it again for the first time in a while (I like to immerse myself in all the other fate media all the time though - fate/extra being what I'm playing them, and Saber Nero is pretty epic...).

Anyway, I remembered just how pissed off i was at the anime's ending the first time round years ago.

spoiler[ Shirou spends the whole anime falling for saber, and forcefully saying he's right to care about her, and want to protect her. She kept telling him she's just a servant and fighting for the Grail is the only thing that matters. Then, she begins to feel for him, but still suppresses it to achieve the Grail.]

spoiler[He continues forcefully expressing that he cares about her and that her safety is more important. Then, he finally expresses his love for her. They go though an incredibly hard time during the Grail War, Saber nearly dying many times, as well as Shirou -- and yet they also protect and save each other many many times.]

spoiler["Shirou -- you are my scabbard..."

He transfers his circuits to her and they are connected at a spiritual level, able to see each others highly personal pasts and dreams. Shirou, having had the scabbard inside him, decided to remove it and its regenerative protective healing magic and gives it to Arturia, it seems, for the simple reason he's scared to death of Gilgamesh killing her. And by giving it back to her, she stands a fighting chance against him -- so he risked his life again, on the slim chance it would saver her.]

I could go on all night about the epic love story that unfolded in the anime, and what happens at the end? spoiler[ Saber tells Shirou finally that she loves him, and in the blink of an eye, she disappears back to her death point in the past!]

WTF FOR REAL are u kidding me? either something here is "implied" from the VN [which I've not yet got -- want the vita version..] or its a total anticlimax, and needs explaining.

spoiler[ Then we're subjected to a depressing little end bit of "day to day life" back to normal with Shirou, Rin, Taiga, etc, and that's it.]

Ok, I was so pissed off because, the ONLY way I'll be happy after going through all that is for the two of them to end up together. Otherwise, what was the freaking point of doing anything? But I knew of the Realta nua unlockable ending and thought I must go read that to try and satisfy myself, since I wasn't going to be able to sleep, otherwise. So I'm pretty glad I did, as it's basically what I had hoped would happen.

spoiler[ "If you want to meet again as normal people two miracles must occur. One must wait continuously, one must search endlessly. They must realize it is impossible to succeed, yet at the same time be capable of enduring patiently."

This to me is the TRUE Shirou x Arturia ending.

So Shirou , when he died, finally found Arturia. he went to wake her up, and this happened because he spent his life searching for a way to be with her again. and at the same time Arturia waited in a deep slumber, knowing in her heart that he would come for her one day. So in the real end of ends, Saber is back to the young innocent girl she was before she pulled Caliburn from the stone and became the immortal hero/king. She has her true love for the first time in her life.]

Now I can freaking sleep. Am I asking for too much for this ending to be animated in a final episode of the remake? Yeah, I reckon, but I'd REALLY like to know if this is meant to be Arturia's true ending.

I'm not a soppy romantic fool. It's just that Saber's story is damn important to me, and the Fate/stay night anime ending just doesn't do her or their relationship justice. It just seems to end. spoiler[ This ending is a complete anticlimax, but it seems to me that because this ending happens when Shirou dies a lot of new Fate scenarios can happen and get told before this takes place. so it would work at the end of the show if they made it clear that it takes place in the distant future, still leaving the door open for more scenarios etc.]

But then I'm still kinda' shaky on some details, as I'm unsure of exactly what route the anime truly is. I was under the impression this was a mix of all three, but based mainly on Fate.

I thought the Miracle ending was the true one of all three routes because it gets unlocked after every route is completed. So, to me, that says it's the true end of all the routes. Am I right?

Also, is the 2014 a remake of the exact same story as the last anime, or a re-telling of the original fate route from the VN?

That's it; rant over. Does anyone agree, or am I alone in wanting this?

BTW, I think it's about time I had the Realta nua VN. Anyone know if the Vita port will be released in Europe? I'd really love to have that. Thanks.

Last edited by blayze on Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:58 pm; edited 2 times in total
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:06 pm Reply with quote
I'm gonna' reiterate what the other users have said, but with more gusto..

Teh Rules wrote:
2a. These forums are English-language forums. All users are expected to have a working knowledge of proper English. We are not an IM chatroom; we expect proper grammar [including capital letters], spelling, and punctuation [including paragraph and sentence breaks] . All conversation must be in English. If English is your Second Language, please say so in your first post. If you have a disability that impacts your writing ability (e.g., dyslexia), then please say so in your first post.

I spent the last 25 minutes cleaning that crap post of yours up by proofreading every sentence, correcting your spelling, adding capital letters, fixing your sentence/paragraph alignment for the sake of thought continuity, and placing multiple spoiler tags throughout (hint: a single spoiler tag would've made it impossible to read; always spread them out, and only use them for relevant spoilers, not rants).

This is your only warning/freebie. If you ever make a sloppy post like that again, it's getting deleted, and you're going on Moderated status until you decide to stop being lazy.

I can tell by most of your comments, that you're, at least, not incompetent. Lazy, maybe, and definitely sloppy. But not stupid, by any means.

Please try to make a better effort at posting. It will do us wonders for actually trying to discuss things with you, or at least not ruin our encounters with an eyesore of a post.

Thanks.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:32 am Reply with quote
First of all, this really doesn't belong in the anime section, as you're talking about the Réalta Nua version of F:S/N, not the anime version.

I've never played the Réalta Nua version of F:S/N, but I *have* played the original PC version (translated into English), which I consider to be the most canon version of the story. It does not contain the final unlockable ending. But yes, like you, I was very unhappy with the way the Stay Night path ended.

I would like to believe that Shiro and Arturiaspoiler[ met again in Avalon. If Shiro had prevented Arturia from drawing the sword to begin with, then she never would've been king and never had met him. It would erase all the things she had done and sacrificed to achieve. That would be a huge injustice, IMO. Instead, I think both of them should be *rewarded* for those sacrifices and for their unwillingness to give up. If you cut away their sacrifices, then there's nothing to reward them *for*. IIRC, this is what is implied happens in the Realta Nua final ending, and IMO it's the only ending that really does justice to what both of them endured in their separate journeys.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1