• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Star Blazers 2199 Blu-Ray 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ValkyrieZeroZeroOne

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:01 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Sandstar wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
Sandstar wrote:
Thanks for the spoilers. Anything else you'd like to spoil IN A THREAD FOR DISCUSSING THE FOUR EPISODES?

It's a remake of a 40 year old show. The story predates my birth by a decade.

The part about Kodai's brother is absolutely a spoiler for THIS SHOW.

spoiler[Mamoru Kodai's death] is the first thing that happens in this show. The only difference between this show and the original is that spoiler[he doesn't show up again later not dead after all.]

I don't know why I have to explain why complaining about spoilers for this is absurd. Nothing I said should be any surprise whatsoever.

It's not absurd. You're assuming that everyone reading this article has actually seen the original series. While the majority probably have, some won't have, and you're still spoiling what happens in 2199 anyway.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:04 pm Reply with quote
ValkyrieZeroZeroOne wrote:
It's not absurd. You're assuming that everyone reading this article has actually seen the original series. While the majority probably have, some won't have, and you're still spoiling what happens in 2199 anyway.

I don't spoil anything that anybody who sees the opening scene of the very first episode would be surprised at.

Holy f*** is this a dumb argument.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
configspace

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
That's one thing I dig in particular about Yamato 2199—not only does it make Yuki more important to the story, it introduces several new female characters, from the bubbly nurse Harada to the taciturn pilot Yamamoto. O.G. Yamato was long on manly romance, but kinda short on actual female characters. It's good that they've given it that upgrade.

And boy is it an upgrade. Goddam, the girls are hot

Quote:
And don't let the name fool you—there's no Americanized dub here, only the Japanese version with the original character names.

This is what I've been waiting to find out after the title change to Star Blazers. The prices and very slow release suck, but the name changes in the subs would've been a deal breaker. So I'm glad you've confirmed that has been kept intact, and I'll probably get this sooner or later. I wonder if they'll release a box set some time later or if these expensive singles is all we're going to get. Usually I wait until all the sets of a series has released until picking it up.
Sandstar

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:53 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

I don't spoil anything that anybody who sees the opening scene of the very first episode would be surprised at.

Those of us that have seen the original might have been expecting something else.
yamiangie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Sandstar wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

Those of us that have seen the original might have been expecting something else.

So spoiler[were you expecting Captain Harlock?]
Fabe

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:25 pm Reply with quote
OK I saw some clips at the official 'starblazers' web site and the subtitles were a bit odd. The original Japanese dialog had characters calling the ship the Yamato but the subtitles had them referring to it as the Argo. Was that just placeholder or something for teasers or is the actual release like that? I can handle a change of title but inconsistent conflicting subtitles like that might be a deal breaker for me.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:20 am Reply with quote
penguin:
Quote:
Then they insisted on naming it Starblazers again.

That is what it's better known as here. And it's a catchier title. It's not like the Gatchaman/Battle of the Planets situation. Hell, I'm sure if Animeigo and ADV could use Robotech, they would. But anyway, it's still uncut otherwise, so it doesn't really matter. It's not like the original 70s show, which I'm hoping Discotek will rescue or Sols will crowdfund one day.

Quote:
Then they didn't give it an English dub, or they made a test dub, but then never did a full one.

No point in dubbing it, if they're not going to be able to broadcast it.

Quote:
Then there wasn't any real marketing. Most people are probably surprised that this even exists.

There's not a lot of marketing for a lot of niche anime. But the people who want it legally will know where to get it.

Quote:
Where do you even hear this being talked about? Almost nowhere.

They mentioned it on their Youtube Channel.

Quote:
The show does a much better job fleshing out the Gamilions, making them different from the mustache-twirling sociopaths they were in the 70s,

That probably means it's terrible. :roll:

Quote:
and even adds some much-needed female leads onto the Yamato crew,

Meh. No one watched the 80s Smurfs for a balanced gender ratio in the cast. No one besides otaku who draw pervy fanfics will care about Yamato being the same way.

BTW, I already brought this up earlier, but Star Blazers is going to stay as long as that Hollywood remake is still potentially in development.
Covnam

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:57 am Reply with quote
I never saw the original series and this review did get me interested, but when I read the part about 6 volumes I was curious at just how long the series was. I was pretty surprised to see that it's a normal 26 episode show.
Even the DVD release is more expensive then back when shows were getting 8 disc releases (going by individual price). And those were often sold below MSRP, while this is not.
Hopefully they come out with a less expensive complete collection down the line.
Sandstar

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:59 am Reply with quote
Fabe wrote:
OK I saw some clips at the official 'starblazers' web site and the subtitles were a bit odd. The original Japanese dialog had characters calling the ship the Yamato but the subtitles had them referring to it as the Argo. Was that just placeholder or something for teasers or is the actual release like that? I can handle a change of title but inconsistent conflicting subtitles like that might be a deal breaker for me.

Only the trailer does that. I *promise* the subs on the dvd/Blu-ray have it as the Yamato.
jr240483

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:21 am Reply with quote
well cause of the fact that there is no english dub i wont be picking it up.

Quote:
And don't let the name fool you—there's no Americanized dub here, only the Japanese version with the original character names.

from the looks of that quote the reviewer is probably a sub prusuit personally cause most of them call dubs americanized instead of calling it english dub.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:24 am Reply with quote
I'm pretty sure by "Americanized", Mike meant turning the name "Susumu Kodai" into "Derek Wildstar" and so forth. Like with the original Starblazers.

But there wasn't any English dub at all in this release, which I guess is better than having to discuss the show with people who keep referring to the Captain as "Avatar". I think I would have ground my teeth into nubs if that occurred.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
snake-eyes

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:31 am Reply with quote
Maybe Voyager Entertainment is only allowed to uses the name Star Blazers, as that is what the property was called in the US when it was released 35 years ago. Whatever you call it Space Battleship Yamato 2199 or Star Blazers, the series is Awesome. The addition of more female crew members is good, but it also means less screen time for Yuki Mori. The Anime is Stunningly Beautiful to look at. I still prefer the Classic Yamato, but am definitely getting the rest of season 1. I am glad that the new version is not 100% the same as the original. A new series should make a few changes otherwise it is the same exact show, but with new bells and whistles. Now, all that is needed is for Funimation to actually mention whenever Space Battleship Yamato Resurrection will be available in region 1.
ValkyrieZeroZeroOne

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:12 am Reply with quote
snake-eyes wrote:
Maybe Voyager Entertainment is only allowed to uses the name Star Blazers, as that is what the property was called in the US when it was released 35 years ago.

Voyager Entertainment is the Japanese company which owns the Space Battleship Yamato property (the name of the company that produced and marketed Star Blazers in the US was called Westchester Films), thus they can call it anything they like. They seem to think there's still marketing value in the Star Blazers name. That most likely reason they are using that name is that they are assuming the same level of nostalgia exists in the US for people who watched Star Blazers in their youth as does for Space Battleship Yamato in Japan (where its popularity rivals that of what Star Trek's is in the US).

Glad that you're sticking with it though. I'll be interested to see your opinion on 2199 when it's finished.

Last edited by ValkyrieZeroZeroOne on Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Fabe

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:06 am Reply with quote
Sandstar wrote:
Fabe wrote:

Only the trailer does that. I *promise* the subs on the dvd/Blu-ray have it as the Yamato.

OK,looks like I'll be ordering a copy. I never seen the original so this is a chance to see it even if it is a re-launch.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:54 am Reply with quote
The price is a big turn-off.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5