• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Star Blazers 2199 Blu-Ray 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ValkyrieZeroZeroOne

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:07 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Sandstar: The only differences are that it's darker and they fight tougher enemies. It's not really anything which expands the main story. It's just a different "boss" they're up against, and that's it.

Sorry but you couldn't be more wrong. If you were talking about the first series and the third series (known as the Bolar Wars in the US), I might agree with you to an extent, but Yamato 2 was a completely different plot to the original series. If I actually had the time and energy, I'd point out in detail exactly why.

GATSU wrote:
Valkyrie:
Quote:
We get treated to things like his 2010 interview with Matsumoto, which wouldn't be able to be seen on the official site.

Link, please?

http://ourstarblazers.com is the home page. There's just about everything related to Star Blazers/Space Battleship Yamato from 1974 through to the present day and the ongoing 2199 merchandising and movie production.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:53 pm Reply with quote
Yamato 2 doesn't retread the first series. Yamato 2 retreads Farewell Yamato.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Sandstar

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:33 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

Well, it's a remake, but I hate farewell yamato, so I'm glad the second series overwrote it.
Wrangler

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:30 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
I really appreciate that Mike criticized Voyager Entertainment USA for having renamed this release Star Blazers 2199. I decided to import the Japanese BD's because they are subtitled and having the R1 release renamed Star Blazers really bugged me. I am a big fan of the original Space Battleship Yamato and love 2199, but I refuse to support a company that bastardizes the names of what I like.

I completely agree with this. I know money is tight, but rebranding of the name of the show really really bothers me. Its uncalled for, we've grown up who watched the show when we were young and know the show's real name. Cheap marketing stunts does not endear me to this. I rather pay more for something that already subtitled and isn't doing some cheap. I love this new reimaging of Yamato, calling the ship the Argo and resuming old Star Blazers name is uncalled for.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:40 pm Reply with quote
Valyrie:
Quote:
I might agree with you to an extent, but Yamato 2 was a completely different plot to the original series.

Again, it's only slightly different.

Quote:
http://ourstarblazers.com is the home page.

Direct link, please. I already visited the site, and can't spot it.

penguin:
Quote:

And Farewell Yamato is still a retread of the first show. It does not cover any important ground.

Fronzel:
Quote:
The existence of even higher prices doesn't make these any better.

You'd pay even more for those in Japan. If you want to complain, blame the suckers who were willing to pay Aniplex's high prices.
Sandstar

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:43 pm Reply with quote
Wrangler wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:
I really appreciate that Mike criticized Voyager Entertainment USA for having renamed this release Star Blazers 2199. I decided to import the Japanese BD's because they are subtitled and having the R1 release renamed Star Blazers really bugged me. I am a big fan of the original Space Battleship Yamato and love 2199, but I refuse to support a company that bastardizes the names of what I like.

I completely agree with this. I know money is tight, but rebranding of the name of the show really really bothers me. Its uncalled for, we've grown up who watched the show when we were young and know the show's real name. Cheap marketing stunts does not endear me to this. I rather pay more for something that already subtitled and isn't doing some cheap. I love this new reimaging of Yamato, calling the ship the Argo and resuming old Star Blazers name is uncalled for.

They only call it the Argo in the trailer. In the blu-rays, it's called the Yamato. It's only the cover that's changed, and if that's enough to get you to not buy it, you would've found a different excuse if it was called Space Battleship Yamato.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:29 am Reply with quote
Sandstar wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

Well, it's a remake, but I hate farewell yamato, so I'm glad the second series overwrote it.

I'm glad it overwrote it, too,, but I still love the movie for what it is.

"This will be our wedding."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:44 am Reply with quote
I've been rewatching the original series on Blu-ray, and I had forgotten about the weird detours it takes in its middle portion, like that whole episode where Yuki and Analyzer try to pick vegetables on a planet inhabited by an anthropomorphic insect race, and don't even succeed. I suppose those scripts were written when the show was still slated to run for 39 episodes.

I'm glad that the remake replaced those episodes with better, more relevant material, but I'm still not buying the Blu-rays until the Japanese boxset is out. Hopefully, it will be out by the time the new movie premieres.
Sandstar

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Zhou-BR wrote:
I've been rewatching the original series on Blu-ray, and I had forgotten about the weird detours it takes in its middle portion, like that whole episode where Yuki and Analyzer try to pick vegetables on a planet inhabited by an anthropomorphic insect race, and don't even succeed. I suppose those scripts were written when the show was still slated to run for 39 episodes.

I'm glad that the remake replaced those episodes with better, more relevant material, but I'm still not buying the Blu-rays until the Japanese boxset is out. Hopefully, it will be out by the time the new movie premieres.

That's sort of what I mean when I talk about pacing issues. That episode is completely irrelevant, and I don't think they would've made it if the show had originally planned for 26 episodes. This is also what I like about Season 2, in that no episode seems irrelevant. All of them move the plot forward.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:12 pm Reply with quote
That episode is not irrelevant, it helps characterize Analyzer.

Analyzer might as well not even be in 2199. He does nothing in it.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:23 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

He got an episode devoted to him in 2199 which helped characterise him. And he might not have been central to the plot in 2199 but he was good as "flavouring" to enliven up the CIC.
Sandstar

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:13 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

Cause I give a shit about IQ9. I like him, but I don't need an entire episode devoted to him sexually harassing Nova.
Wrangler

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:36 am Reply with quote
Sandstar wrote:
Wrangler wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:

They only call it the Argo in the trailer. In the blu-rays, it's called the Yamato. It's only the cover that's changed, and if that's enough to get you to not buy it, you would've found a different excuse if it was called Space Battleship Yamato.

Thats news to me, I thought they renamed characters along with the ship to names used in the original Star Blazers as well.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:52 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

Analyzer was always a cutesy robot mascot, like R2D2 or any of the imitators thereof. I remember an isolated attempt to use him in a dramatic capacity (didn't he say he was in love with Yuki?) seeming more bizarre than anything else. I don't know if reducing his role is a loss.
yamiangie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:11 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

He's important to episode 9 of 2199. Which is my fav episode of the series and spoiler[I think Kodai would have been bug food in 16 if Analyzer didn't have the mech. Oh and because Analyzer made friends with that Gamilan android they were able to turn off the ones invading the ship in episode 25.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5