• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Announces Hakkenden English Dub Cast

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iamthevastuniverse

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:54 pm Reply with quote
MarthKoopa wrote:
You're not going to get better casting from Foster for TV series. He's going to give you the exact same slop that Ayres gives you.

His Garden of Words dub had a LOT of serious issues with it that completely ruined the movie. No sane person would ever want to ask for anything from him.

Major Issues? I've seen that dub countless times over the last nine months since its release last year and I see no fault in in the english script or the performances. Hell Patrick Poole is the sole reason to watch the dub his performance for a rookie VA was quite remarkable in my opinion. I hope he is cast in more roles in the near future because he has a great voice and is able to emote fairly well. Its clear tho you have an entirely different opinion on the matter which is fine. To each their own.

Last edited by iamthevastuniverse on Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:27 am; edited 1 time in total
iamthevastuniverse

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:05 pm Reply with quote
Houston Hayes has been working for three years now and only shows up in Chris's dubs. He's not new by any means. Chris needs to cast outside his favorite crew for the sake of his dubs not becoming clone copies of each other because that's what his recent work is shaping into this year. I've seen From the new World dub I found it to be average at best and wasn't impressed. I'm not sure what the deal is with Steven Foster. He may be on temporary leave or he could of left Sentai Filmworks for other opportunities. He went from being one of their full time working ADR Directors to not working on anything in the last five months. Which isn't normal hopefully he re-surfaces because certain actors aren't being hired because of his recent absence which is a shame really.
wonderwomanhero

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:22 pm Reply with quote
This makes me miss Braden Hunt. Supposedly he is not doing voicework anymore, but he's still in Texas. I wonder why?
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:04 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, I can't say for sure if I'm really that interested in this show, but I may try it out when given the chance.

As for Chris Ayres, my issue with him isn't so much his tendency of using the same seiyuu repeatedly as it is that I'm starting to notice that his directing performance is starting to falter in the English version of his most recent anime shows, most notably Little Busters and AKB0048: Next Stage.

Last edited by Mr. Oshawott on Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
hojo 360

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:34 pm Reply with quote
bs3311 wrote:
O rly? Let me at them. I watched them ALL and survived with a smile on my face. In a reaction that I adored them. Wink

I don't understand myself sometimes in why I like Sentai dubs. Its not like the non conformist ideology. Yet I originally watched all dubs from Funimation, and then. Suddenly after watching H.O.T.D. and Angel Beats dubbed AFTER watching both whole sub. I jumped ship cause I loved them. Please fix me Hojo sensei like ya did sephiroth's mama Embarassed
Hey that's my opinion just like it's yours that every dub they do is so good Razz it's not like i'm a dub hater most stuff i watch is dub but i'm not all ways a fan of what Sentai puts out BTW what i did for sephiroth's mama that was a one time deal Wink
bs3311

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:53 am Reply with quote
I AM THE VAST UNIVERSE wrote:
I'm not sure what the deal is with Steven Foster. He may be on temporary leave or he could of left Sentai Filmworks for other opportunities. He went from being one of their full time working ADR Directors to not working on anything in the last five months. Which isn't normal hopefully he re-surfaces because certain actors aren't being hired because of his recent absence which is a shame really.

Agreed. And if we can only follow what friends of Steven have to say. Then according to Chris Patten, he seems to turn down a lot of things due to fans reaction to him. Well I know its mostly convention stuff, but recall back to the time he had to direct EVERYTHING at Sentai where he probably had no say when to take a break or not. Plus I believe one of Foster's sayings is that he directs what he feels he can direct. Shows/movies from Shinkai, fighting shonen, and H.O.T.D. are fine examples of that. while Slice of Life, though I give credit for some of his work on Clannad. But overall, not so much unless I'm not recalling any titles he ADR directed before Sentai Filmworks.

And unless ANN is wrong like wikipedia, then supposedly actors like Rozie Curtis work on titles that are directed by Steven Foster. Yet she surprisingly joined in the dub for Girls Und Panzer which was directed by Janice Williams. So I hope directors like John, Leraldo, or Chris can use her down the line to break the Steven Foster only notion of her, along with other actors/actresses.

COME BACK STEVEN!!!!

Hell Patrick Poole is the sole reason to watch the dub his performance for a rookie VA was quite remarkable in my opinion. I hope he is cast in more roles in the near future because he has a great voice and is able to emote fairly well.

Same here. When I first watched some of the japanese dub and then jumped to english. I was thinking it was going to bomb due to the common stereotype of, "a 20-30 year old voicing a 15 year old is gonna die!………unless he funimation actor or greg ayres.".

But I was impressed the whole way through. Not from his tone being older yet okay, but his acting as a distant youth trying to find his meaning in life through shoemaking. And his performance in the finale was godlike, I was nearly in tears just trying to imagine him voicing in the booth yet his work matched perfectly with his character motion and facial works.

hojo 360 wrote:
Hey that's my opinion just like it's yours that every dub they do is so good Razz it's not like i'm a dub hater most stuff i watch is dub but i'm not all ways a fan of what Sentai puts out

Oh I can criticize there dubs sometimes. Like with Chris Ayers reusing the same actors as the main leads since Kokoro Connect. And Guin Saga, though that 7 min of bad footage. Which seem to be The Room kinda bad that they are good. And there technical problems, which I separate from the acting performances. From IMO are fine with me while technical problems need work. And they seem to be working on that with new scriptwriters.

EDIT AFTER WATCHING FIRST EPISODE:
Greg Ayres as crow!? GENIUS!!!!
I'm liking Kalin Coates as Kenta so far. I would have actually preferred her to voice child satoru instead of Greg
MarthKoopa

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Major Issues?

Extensive amounts of added vulgarity and barely any attempts to match lip flaps, as well as Maggie's last scene being extremely incoherent. I had to turn on the subtitles because I couldn't understand a single word she was saying.

As for the performances... it was just "OK". There is nothing about the dub that you could possibly praise as being more than just "OK".

or he could of left Sentai Filmworks for other opportunities.

That would be fantastic news. He has to, eventually, right? One can dream...

bs3311 wrote:
COME BACK STEVEN!!!!

NO
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:23 pm Reply with quote
MarthKoopa wrote:
Major Issues?

Extensive amounts of added vulgarity and barely any attempts to match lip flaps, as well as Maggie's last scene being extremely incoherent. I had to turn on the subtitles because I couldn't understand a single word she was saying.

Right, those problems...
Plus another one:

The name order issue.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:52 am Reply with quote
MarthKoopa wrote:

Didn't notice much vulgarity (maybe just my neck of the woods) and understood the last scene just fine (then again, I'm good at picking people up).

But truly about lip-flaps: first, there were hardly much lip-moving in the film for lip-flaps to really matter - most of the lip-visible script lines were quite mundane. But more importantly, dubs should really rely less on matching lip-flaps. Anime in Japanese don't care too much about it, and it doesn't affect their conveyance any. Concentrate more on the delivery and accurate lines.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2