• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - Bloody as Hell AND Burnt to a Crisp

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jr240483

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:43 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Cartoon Network Pakistan..........

Who would have ever thought those two things would ever go together.

No kidding. that shocked me that there is even a CN pakistan. i'm even more surprised that they still have the license for blue dragon, considering how much they hacked up the english dub to "cough cough" the horror that is 4kids levels & its not the first time.they also did the same thing for Eyeshield 21 & Hikaru no Go when they had the license.

though considering that its it sister studio Viz Kids (that also licensed MAR) that did those things, its no wonder they never got a crapload of hate from the otaku community. that and none of those series arent that popular regardless.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:14 am Reply with quote
For years, Viz didn't put any dubbed content online because they wanted people to buy the DVDs, but that's slightly changed for the better.

Unfortunately, they used to be very "corporate-minded" and picky about shows and sales numbers.

Blue Dragon was fully dubbed uncut, although an edited version was also created for broadcast.

The dub for season 1 was partially shown on Cartoon Network US, but it ended up finishing it's run on Toonami Jetstream.

Three edited dub-only DVD singles were released in the US before stopping due to low sales (what did Viz expect?).

Meanwhile, Manga UK released an uncut billingual Blue Dragon set of the first half of Season 1 and it also aired in Australia and the UK. Season 2 only aired in CN Pakistan.

Viz treated the show like the rest in their catalog. They just streamed the subtitled version, even though they wouldn't really be competing with any DVDs in their catalog. I don't know why. They screwed the show over by releasing it in edited dub-only singles, so it's not like we should be surprised.

Fortunately, Viz has gotten more fan-friendly recently and less "corporate." Blue Dragon would probably have a chance now, but unfortunately, Viz is still honoring their position on the show, and until the lose the license nothing will change. Once it does, I could maybe see Cinedigm rescue the home video rights like with Zatch Bell, which had a similar issue.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:48 am Reply with quote
Moe is in decline? I've never seen anyone who likes it complain about any lack of moe material available from season to season. Sounds to me like those who see a decline are those who want to see a decline. Maybe there haven't been as many "phenomenon-level" franchises like Haruhi and K-On!, but moe content is still quite prevalent, even in the more serious/"mainstream" titles.

Quote:
Not everyone cares about image quality, not everyone can tell the difference between a DVD or Blu-ray, not everyone has bothered to upgrade their equipment in the last five years. Being an ultra-hardcore video nerd (by trade), I don't understand that either, but that's where they're at.
I'd speculate that another factor is in play, one I usually hear cited as a reason most Japanese audio tracks aren't in 5.1 surround. Given (urban) Japan's limited and expensive living space, even many hardcore Japanese fans don't have the huge rooms and huge screens that're needed to fully appreciate super-high-res anime.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:24 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Moe is in decline?

It might not be pervasive but it's still pretty big. There's still a lot of it being produced, like Is The Order A Rabbit? cute girls doing cute things show, or the Soul Eater spinoff that looks like K-ON!.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:43 am Reply with quote
Not to forget the juggernaut of Love Live S2 which looks like it's going to obliterate the rest of the spring season shows in sales. Moe ain't on the decline at all. Cute girls doing cute things continues to sell.
yuna49

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:01 am Reply with quote
On BD vs DVD sales, you can see the same distinction Justin made by comparing shoujo/josei shows with shounen/seinen ones. Shows that target a female audience generally have higher DVD sales than BD sales, presumably because most of those viewers don't care about "ultra-mega-high-definition" either. The "reverse-harem" Hakuoki series, based on an otome game for girls, sold over 10K copies per volume on DVD, but just a tenth that on Blu-ray.
Rederoin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:32 am Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
On BD vs DVD sales, you can see the same distinction Justin made by comparing shoujo/josei shows with shounen/seinen ones. Shows that target a female audience generally have higher DVD sales than BD sales, presumably because most of those viewers don't care about "ultra-mega-high-definition" either. The "reverse-harem" Hakuoki series, based on an otome game for girls, sold over 10K copies per volume on DVD, but just a tenth that on Blu-ray.

Its better to just call it 'comparing shows that are popular among females(/targeted at them) to shows that are popular among males'.

I don't don't know why though. But for some reason, a show having a 50/50~ split in BDs/DVDs means its mostly popular among females. Even though they are pubslished in shounen/seinen magazines. Haikyuu!! and Hoozuki from this season and last season are 2 good examples of that.
Key

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:40 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Moe is in decline? I've never seen anyone who likes it complain about any lack of moe material available from season to season. Sounds to me like those who see a decline are those who want to see a decline. Maybe there haven't been as many "phenomenon-level" franchises like Haruhi and K-On!, but moe content is still quite prevalent, even in the more serious/"mainstream" titles.

Agreed. It's more a case of settling into a high plateau with occasional peaks like K-ON.

Melanchthon wrote:
6) The element dwindles but straggles on for several more years.
A good example is the maid fetish—round the turn of the millennial you couldn't throw a brick without hitting a maid outfit, and every season had at least one show staring maids. Now of days they only show up sparsely, and never have their own dedicated show.

Must disagree here. Maids as either major supporting characters or part of a leading ensemble are still quite common, and situations where major characters at least temporarily wear maid or maid-like outfits pop up everywhere, even in titles (like fantasy action) where they would seem incongruous.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:45 am Reply with quote
if the element is good enough it will stay in anime for years, just take giant robots as an example.
yuna49

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:17 am Reply with quote
Rederoin wrote:
I don't don't know why though. But for some reason, a show having a 50/50~ split in BDs/DVDs means its mostly popular among females.

Because women represent a minority of the audience for most anime, especially late-night shows. Demographic breakdowns are hard to come by these days, just like household ratings. (The last decent set of household ratings that I've seen were for the second half of 2012.) I've browsed demographics for some older shows. Women, especially those aged 35-49, constitute a decent share of the audience for family shows like Doraemon which usually have high ratings for kids as well. Women are much less common viewers of late-night shows. A late-night show where women constitute half the audience is unusual.

Also, as Justin pointed out, some of this has to do with whether people chose to invest in BD players. Many people are content with DVD-quality. Those who watch on computers are also much more likely to be using DVD players since BD devices are usually a costly upgrade over the stock DVD drives most computers include. Male otaku are more likely to invest in video technologies.
Stealth00

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:33 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
Women, especially those aged 35-49, constitute a decent share of the audience for family shows like Doraemon which usually have high ratings for kids as well.

Are they wives watching with their kids or viewing by themselves?
EnigmaticSky

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:24 am Reply with quote
For the first question, I think it is just more that it is adult who watch it. If you're an adult, you can afford the bluray, you will want the better one. If you're a parent who is just getting something for their kid, of course you'll get the cheaper thing.
Nonaka Machine Gun B

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:57 am Reply with quote
Didn't we just have an Idolm@ster, or however you spell it, show a year ago that people loved? I don't really see a decline of moe.
yuna49

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:33 am Reply with quote
Stealth00 wrote:
yuna49 wrote:
Women, especially those aged 35-49, constitute a decent share of the audience for family shows like Doraemon which usually have high ratings for kids as well.

Are they wives watching with their kids or viewing by themselves?

I'd think "mothers" might be a better term. Obviously that's not a question that can be answered directly from ratings data, but I'm guessing it's largely mothers watching with their kids.

Remember that "watching" in this case means the person pressed a button on a "people meter," used in many countries including Japan, indicating she was in the room where the program is being telecast. What she or the kids were actually doing while the TV is on is another question entirely. In the US at least, the answer is a lot of other things. In research I helped conduct in the early 1980s, we found that only about a third of women aged 18-39 remained in the room for an entire prime-time program. Half the audience were doing other things while the program was on, and many of those were activities the viewers themselves deemed "distracting."
Guile

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:13 pm Reply with quote
A lot of children's programming in Japan have capitalized on the notion housewives are watching their shows. No better example than Toei's Super Sentai and Kamen Rider which around the Faiz/Abaranger era started featuring younger, more attractive pretty boys in the lead roles because they noticed the increased viewership from older women.

I miss the old ratings reports where we got demographic breakdowns of anime. Seeing how few children watched Toriko compared to adults, how few men watched Fairy Tail compared to the majority female audience was always a treat to see who was actually watching these shows.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3