• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Attack on Titan episodes 1-5 (English Dub)

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:43 pm Reply with quote
Child voices of characters that are normally teen or adult are so rarely done well in anime dubs that I don't even get concerned over it anymore when they don't sound right.

And I'm with dtm42 on thinking that the character adjustments described in the review may actually be positive ones. I always thought that two of the biggest weaknesses of the series (aside from the painful tendency of later episodes to drag things out) were that Eren had no real personality beyond being angry or terrified and Mikasa had no personality, period. Adjustments can only help there.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:59 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
I'm conflicted. I'm generally against personality changes in English dubs, but based on your examples I actually liked what they did with Eren and Mikasa. Eren was always way too angry and pissed off to be likeable, while Mikasa was always too passive to be truly sympathetic. Making Eren more philosophical and Mikasa have more of an edge to her is something I can support.

I suppose I can see why you liked the change/alteration of personalities, but does not this turn into a philosophical (this might not be the correct word to use) issue? Like I said, changes have to occur when works are adapted to other language. But isn't changing/altering the personalities, based on the original language, of the characters going a bit too far?

When I eventually watch the dub of Attack on Titan I expect it to sound different from the Japanese version. But I still want to feel that I am watching the same show that I followed on Crunchyroll last year, only this time the characters will be speaking in English.

I know that I will have the option to watch Attack on Titan subbed if the dub does not please me, but I remember watching Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood subbed as it aired, and it sounding and feeling very similar when I watched it dubbed months later.
7jaws7

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It's not flawless, but Attack on Titan's dub is raw in the best way, successful at yanking out heartstrings and more impressively, maintaining the show's healthy sense of humor.

The way I saw it, Attack on Titan is only as funny as its most dire moments. I don't think any dub could change that.
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:21 pm Reply with quote
I have always loved Hope's reviews, both her video and written reviews, I do think she'd let us know if the dub is beyond awful, I do believe I will enjoy this dub, please ignore the sub purists who believe that no dub can ever be good in the history of ever if it's not Japanese.
GiriOni

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:29 pm Reply with quote
My personal opinion is that changing dialogue, while still keeping the feel of the show is one of the key parts of making a dub great. In fact after Steins;Gate I was rather disappointed when the Robotics;Notes dub was a good fit for the cast but kept itself to a more literal translation.
Chaos Salad

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Great review! I'm always interested in seeing dialogue comparisons between dub and sub, so I'm glad to know what changes to expect. Can't wait to check out the dub!
hojo 360

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:46 pm Reply with quote
jojothepunisher wrote:
Where can I watch this english dub?
On Toonami anyway i think it's funny how at first this rev makes the dub out to be trash but then hey it gets an A so i guess it's an epic dub:P
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:48 pm Reply with quote
Excellent review, totally looking forward to the dub so I'm glad to hear so much of the positives seem to outweigh the negatives in even such a thorough review. This was a great breakdown.

It sounds like the dub overall is shaping up to be fantastic, which is great news.

The rawness sounds very interesting and really fitting with the material, I'm looking forward to it.

The only bit I guess I'm slightly worried by is the couple of personality changing lines listed (particularly the one where Mikasa apparently derides Eren "don't take your shortcomings out on Armin") and since the three leads personalities not crossing over each other is clearly meant to be one of the keys to why the three of them make such an important whole together. spoiler[As the show even states at one point as part of the story.]

But on the other hand as some others have mentioned perhaps the adjustment will bring out the same personalities on the whole even while rounding them out a bit more than the original (as some have suggested they'd have liked anyway) as thinking of those scenes the lines will probably still fit fine and probably won't change the feel of how much they rely on and compliment each other, and maybe in practice it will just play in smoother fashion and maybe it won't really change their personalities much when taken as a whole over the course of all the episodes and when actually heard in English together with the facial animation over the long haul.

As GiriOni said, changing the dialogue to flow better and sound more natural in English while still keeping the feel of the show, characters and everything is one of the key parts of making a great dub so I'm open to it and Funi usually delivers and I've loved almost all of their "big" signature dubs for shows on this level (like FMA, One Piece, etc.)
bs3311

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:55 pm Reply with quote
The reviewer says its not flawless, yet it gets an A-? Hojo is right. This feels akward. At least give it a B- like all the Sentai dubs keep getting dissapointingly. Laughing

Though with that aside. Funimation script changes have done it again. I did not like J. Michaels script changes in Steins;Gate. And I did not even watch it subbed. Everyone was snarky, hip, with no redeeming qualities while making the main heroine act like a bitch instead of serious yet well mannored women, even with Kyouma compared to the original subtitled script. So I jumped to sub.

And I wished it did not happen with this one.

dtm42 wrote:
Once Eren actually gains some power and goes from being an angry little **** to being an angry badarse, that's when the show really picked up. Also see Mikasa's skills, Armin's strategies, the Recon Corps competence and planning, and the two internal conflicts (between both human factions against the other and the You Know Who versus everyone else).

I'm generally against personality changes in English dubs, but based on your examples I actually liked what they did with Eren and Mikasa. Eren was always way too angry and pissed off to be likeable, while Mikasa was always too passive to be truly sympathetic. Making Eren more philosophical and Mikasa have more of an edge to her is something I can support.

Even with the power, he is still whiney while being on a leash for the recon corps. And that power already contradicts with his goal to beat the titans for the good of humanity. Would'nt fighting with power while the rest of humanity fights in the mud yet unified as one make you more of a snob when the right option is to just fight AS a human? His beginning character as a youth ravaged by the titans, joining the army. While with confidence, finds out that fighting them is serious buisness. Though played out in alot of comming of age stories, is already a relatable concept for regular people. But after retaking the wall, he is pushed around with little say in the matter and is to supposedly, "trust." his companions he had little time bonding with.

The beginning I feel is the strongest since it does not have the shonnen feel that appears in the future. Like right now, Mikasa having an interest for Eren, The recon troop was not listening to Eren yet is even threatening him to trust them which contradicts there whole point and the concept of Teamwork and Friendship.

When the beginning morals of children surviving ravaged cities to stick togethor, or strength of human will, and to fight as humans even with mental difference from them seemed to be good for teens or mature audiences. I would have loved to have the first half to be in the training camp, where the characters could interact where the viewer can actually bond with them.

Back to Eren though. The power that he gets I found, was poorly foreshadowed. The so called, subtle scenes. Were in no way subtle. It has to stay in your mind, not get oversadowed by even larger events than the given forshadowing from a flashback or character just mumbling his head is hot. When shows like Berserk and From the New World do that perfectly.

And changing the character personalities is a horrible act IMO. AOT is NOT a masterpiece nor the best show evar IMO. Its for the sake of entertaining like H.O.T.D. With the large cast of characters being unitersting except for a few of the side characters, the freakin side characters. The plot pulling the audience on a leash while shaking keys at their face for the veiwer to anticipate something amazing yet it does not happen yet, "If no basement, then no read". And the world being such a bore as much as the inard walls. Berserk and Log Horizon have better world building than this IMO. But the biggest props are the action.

And with my view of AOT. Changing the material script to being something is not does not only manipulate viewers to find this series to be something its not. Especially on the characters. But that would be what the audience dares to expect from this series when they keep watching. What about the manga or the orignal japanese script or translated subtitles.

Eren starts out angry since the story demands it. While he acts philisophacil during the trail against him. He takes what he used in account for future events even though it did not help him much. Mikasa has a spympathetic backstory while having an edge when Eren is in danger. We don't see that in the beginning since we do not discover that until the fall of the next wall when Eren was supposedly killed. She then on gets an edge with Eren. Changing the characters personalities in what they are to become far too early in the story makes that develpoment even more worthless. The audience wont see them grow. Its static.

Overall, I agree with angelmcarzares
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:00 pm Reply with quote
DangerMouse wrote:

The only bit I guess I'm slightly worried by is the couple of personality changing lines listed (particularly the one where Mikasa apparently derides Eren "don't take your shortcomings out on Armin") and since the three leads personalities not crossing over each other is clearly meant to be one of the keys to why the three of them make such an important whole together. spoiler[As the show even states at one point as part of the story.]

This is the strongest reason for my complaint with it. Some people might like the "Eren, Mikasa and Armin are more cucumber-cool quippin' heroes now!" thing. We do live in a nerd culture dominated by adulation of Marvel movies, Dr. Who, and Joss Whedon, and that flavor of dialogue is definitely what's affected the script here, so a lot of people may find it more appealing.

I'm not in that camp because I don't really like that style of dialogue becoming homogeneous. I think it should be reserved for one character in the show, and that's Levi, who is the most Marvel-Who-Whedon-y big damn hero character in the story by a country mile.

My tastes aside though, it also dampens the show's assertion that Eren, Armin, and Mikasa are all polar opposites that can only survive with support from one another. They really do all start sounding the same in some conversations, which is to say "slightly snarky/detached and cleverly leapfrogging off all each other's sentences during arguments." When comparing it to the Japanese, I was struck by just how much conflict of personality was lost through language choice alone, and that conflict of personality was a huge part of what made that tripartite relationship feel unique. It's just mushier now, in some of those arguments. That's the biggest reason to be uncomfortable with it. That and the line "Why can't they just let us dream?" coming out of Eren made me say "UGH" out loud because it just didn't fit sooooo hard.

I feel like I can't assert enough that this is a really good dub, it's just when adaptive choices leap out at me this hard, it is really distracting, so I mentioned it for the benefit of anyone that's as big a dork as I am on these things. Again: you can hear a big difference in voice immediately when another writer takes over for episode three. I don't think you should ever be able to do this in a dub.
PachiPortrait

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:19 pm Reply with quote
The issue is not that the script's inferior outside of personal taste, and it's not that FUNimation is putting a different level of effort into the work. All of the examples Hope provided are of the same caliber of adaptive change I've seen in their other dubs; they're doing nothing different.

The issue is that this show just happens to have a very intriguing tripartite of characters that can be defined by examining the way they carry themselves and talk to others. If this were any other show getting the exact same treatment, I have a feeling Hope would personally not like the same adaptive lines but not have a problem with them thematically. Eren, Mikasa, and Armin's lines ARE thematically important because a key element of the series is their relationship.

I have faith that it remains mostly intact as a whole, but I can understand the concern at some of their interactions being muddled by snarky speech. Unfortunately that one writer (probably Tatum) didn't put that level of thought into their adaptation. It sounds to me like he's just doing what he knows how to do, and that's to be adaptive, snarky, and verbose.

Still reserving my final judgement 'til I can hear the dub for myself; that's just how I see this at this point in time.
merr

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:25 pm Reply with quote
People's concerns about the dialogue changes are 100% legitimate.

But it's also a savvy move on Funi's part. They know this show is going to sell among hardcore fans no matter what, but they also know it has potential beyond the core anime market. To facilitate that, they're willing to refine some of the weaker aspects of the original script if it means retaining a bigger audience on Toonami and in the broader market. It's risky and a little reminiscent of 4Kids' approach (though much less severe), but it might actually work.

Based on what Hope has posted, it doesn't seem like Funi's changes make the show less enjoyable than the original, only slightly different and more palatable to American viewers. Yes, it changes the intent of the original work slightly, and that is disconcerting. But the subtitle translations will still be there on the DVD for those who care.
Engineering Nerd

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:35 pm Reply with quote
Sounds like the dub wasn't too bad at all, thanks for the review!

I remember in a Japanese interview, Yuki Kaji admits that every time after he finished voicing Eren Jeager, his throat was really really hurt and had to use everything he knows to recover ASAP. I sincerely hope with all the shouting that is required by this show, the dub actors will have an easier time to cope with this.

Pretty surprised that out of all shows, it's Attack on Titan, an adaptation of a fairly unique (by all means) shoen title, becomes the best selling title so far that was produced by Production IG (WIT being their section 6). As a huge IG fan, I guess I can appreciate that

Again, high hopes for the dub and wish everyone will have a good time with the dub.
revolutionotaku

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:03 pm Reply with quote

One of these scenes are not like the others,
One of these scenes just doesn't belong,
Can you tell which scene is not like the others
By the time I finish my song?
bs3311

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:14 pm Reply with quote
revolutionotaku wrote:
One of these scenes are not like the others,
One of these scenes just doesn't belong,
Can you tell which scene is not like the others
By the time I finish my song?

Look at the sizes of their noses on the left image!

Its like the animators did'nt even care! Cool
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7