• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Collaborative Watches Turn the Eva-01 Into a Timepiece

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lincolne

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 1:07 pm Reply with quote
it looks so awesome. wish i could buy it. But if anyone wants to buy it for my that would be great.
mpg13

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 1:31 pm Reply with quote
That is front and back views of the same watch. GaGa watches are fairly high quality for fashion pieces. The same basic movement is used in a lot of very good watches.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 1:38 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Altogether, either one of these watches will run up a hefty bill of 248,400 yen (approximately 2440.28 USD). Unfortunately, there isn't a whole lot of time to save up for this purchase either, as GaGa Milano will only be making 300 units of each watch.

Shocked Shocked Shocked

That's expensive, call me when we get a anime-theme watch that cost about the equivalent of this Rolex watch.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 2:36 pm Reply with quote
Hand-made and unique watches usually cost in that range, but they also usually have interesting gimmicks and brand new movement construction. But there's also the factor of having a limited number produced. A typical Rolex may cost 8 grand and up, but they pump out a million of those things a year so there's no rarity.

Cool stuff though, I love when pop culture and horology combine. Hope someone gets it on video for a review.

mpg13 wrote:
That is front and back views of the same watch. GaGa watches are fairly high quality for fashion pieces. The same basic movement is used in a lot of very good watches.

Was it some base ETA movement? What other pieces is it used in? I do agree about them looking like a fashion brand, after googling their images. Too bad it's not one of the more funky an hip but still admired watch companies out there.
mpg13

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 3:03 pm Reply with quote
It's an ETA 6497 or 6498 depending on the crown position. Used in low price watches like Glycine to more expensive like Panerai. I have a modified version in a Chronoswiss Timemaster.
Dfens

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 4:14 pm Reply with quote
As someone who works on watches color me un-impressed.

Yeah it kind of looks neat design wise in all my years never seen this brand come through the doors. Plus the price is in line with what that brand charges but totally not worth what they are asking. Should easily cost no more than 1200-1500 USD for what you get and that's with the branding mark up included.

After doing some additional research the dam thing has a mineral crystal are you freaking kidding me? All the other models come with sapphire but this one they went all cheap on the glass? For them they could get sapphire at about 50 dollars or less per unit easily since they can buy in bulk.

Plus the fact the crown is at the 12' o clock position more of a case of style over function I guess they make you have to take off the watch to set it and wind the movement. Following up on that nobody likes hand wound watches anymore. It's a pain in the ass to wind it ever 24 hours and the fact a watch winder won't wind it for you. Then their is no mention if the crown is screw done or a regular pull out. Their is no such thing as a water proof crystal the watch can be water resistant up to a certain depth based on the design of the watch.

I'm tired of all these Evangelion themed watches being super over priced for the EVA logo's or whatever on them.

If it was me I would just get a watch that a Anime or Manga character wears that exists in real life and be done with it.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 8:39 am Reply with quote
Honestly, I'm not that impressed with the look. If anything the colors and wacky numbers made me think for a moment that it was a watch based on the Joker (from Batman). Green and purple were his colors if I recall correctly.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 1:25 am Reply with quote
Looks like something you'd see in Austin Powers.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1