• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - Rumiko Rundown

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mikeski

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:47 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
{Honestly: Does girl Ranma and boy Ranma have different hair colors? That's cheating, you know, like if Clark Kent was a blonde}.

Honestly: Why would he have to maintain his hair color when he switches to female? Maybe he got the whole set of DNA of the girl that drowned in the spring he fell into? I mean, his dad obviously wasn't born with a set of panda DNA to determine how he looks in his alternate form, and Ranma probably wasn't born with a spare "X" chromosome (though one could have Klinefelter Syndrome with no visible effects); they both must have gotten some genetic info from elsewhere.

Better yet: Assume it's a comedy show that doesn't have to make sense. Relax and laugh at it. Laughing

"I don't think about such things, and neither should you." --Rumiko Takahashi, on the possibility of a Ranma pregnancy
vanfanel

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:11 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
I'm sure she has plenty of positives but brevity and conclusions will never be a part of it.

I'll give you brevity, but Maison Ikkoku ends very well, and the "Final Chapter" series of Inu Yasha brought things to a good conclusion too.

The end of Urusei Yatsura, while inconclusive, works for me -- especially because several of the movies made a kind of meta point about there being no end, ever. When I saw movie 5 (which adapts the final storyline), I thought: "...all right. You can get away with this exactly one time, but never, ever again."

A couple of other things:

- I read MI in comic form as the single Viz issues were coming out, and that, I think, is the best way to read it, because at that pace, the story pretty much progresses in real-time. The holidays and the turning of the seasons match up pretty well if you start at the right time.

- Not feeling the handwringing over a Japanese artist offending American sensibilities about Chinese stereotypes.

-It's reasonable to think that MI's sponsors might have wanted to put Gilbert O'Sullivan songs in to promote them; the question is why they disappeared after only one week. The story I heard long ago (and I don't remember where I read it, so take this with a grain of salt) is that they didn't realize what "Alone Again, Naturally" was about until someone informed the stations, and the talk of suicide was apparently a problem. The thing that makes me suspicious of that story is that they pulled the ED "Bad Dog" as well, which had no such issue. My guess is that some kind of rights issue came up.

- You may behold here the sad embers of the glory that was once the Global Ranma Insanity Thread. A handful of people appear to still be trying to keep it going, but it looks like it has little to do with Ranma nowadays.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/gritpost
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:06 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
Ranma 1/2: One of the first anime series of which I've ever heard {early 90s?}, still haven't seen it or read it or even looked at it {Honestly: Does girl Ranma and boy Ranma have different hair colors? That's cheating, you know, like if Clark Kent was a blonde}.

I'm sure she has plenty of positives but brevity and conclusions will never be a part of it.

the har color thing is an anime only thing, in the manga both forms ahve teh same har color, any instance of red haired beauty in the anime is pig tailed girl in the manga.

about brevity, well she has the mermaid saga , her one shots and other stuff for that, on the other hand she has, what 4 long series so brevity is ehr forte, same for conclusions ; urusei yatsura, going by the personality of the characters is endless, sure he can marry any girl to conclude, but you know he is not above cheating, so the hijinx will never end.

about ranma i never found the ending to be that inconclusive, since the tv series ends when spoiler[ranma's mom accepts ranma for whom he is, even if she later keeps on playing around, but that was really important for ranma] and the manga ending implies spoiler[that ranma and akane accept and love each other enough to try and get married, just because the wedding does not happen ()come on, they are too young anyway, they ahve not even finished highschool, it does not mean they were not ready to be with each other, also shampoo/mouse as well as other couples are already pretty much solved at that point of time, the only big problem there is the fact that in the future ryouga and akane are the ones who are married]

Anton Chigurh wrote:
And of all characters I liked Ranma the most. Every time someone would stump him with new, insane fighting techniques, he'd either fight his way around them or develop his own. At the same time he was pretty full of himself (he often claimed never to have lost a match, a very suspect claim as the series goes on) and his callousness could actually hurt those around him when he didn't think before speaking. Whether by accident or design -from what I've read, mostly the former -, Takahashi made him an engaging lead.

in teh same interview takahashi talks about ranma pregnancy (iirc) she also mentions that initially she wanted to make ranma a karate practicioner, a good guy who always stod with his ideals, was honest and sincere; she found that to be very boring and changed him to what he is now, an anything goes martial arts practicioner who is too full of himself and egoistical and all the defects that make him such a fun character. i remember one pece dialog in one of the ovas in which he is saying "all the girlsare mine" or something similar, it was great to see how derailed he ahd became because of his harem, i love takahashi's one guy 3 girls harems.
Juno016

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:39 am Reply with quote
As many people fawned over Inuyasha when it was coming out, I continuously see a ton of them turning on it later and trashing it. I'm not quite sure why, though. I thought, "There must've been something wrong with the general storytelling that my rose-tinted childhood glasses coudn't see," so I went back and watched it again after I finished the manga. One person told me it was the repetitive, non-conclusive nature of the show (particularly, the part where they almost beat Naraku, he goes into hiding, comes out and they almost beat him again, and so on), but re-watching it, I SWEAR it happens no more than twice before they finally take him out, so I can't really say that's really the problem. Another person here suggested it was the flimsy romance triangle between Kagome, Kikyou, and Inuyasha (Inuyasha couldn't get his dirty hands off of Kikyou, despite having Kagome), but even THAT felt like the person was just saying, "I don't like it when a character isn't loyal to one person" because the drama surrounding it was utilized pretty effectively compared to triangles in... practically everything else I've seen.

I'm really not sure, even to this day. I like it, I think it has a particularly luring style to its setting and set of characters, and it's still very Takahashi-like, playing off the sort of serious drama at her best and the kind of periodic slap-stick comedy you'd expect from her previous works.
SupraZ

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:42 am Reply with quote
Ohh ranma 1/2!!! the proof that i get in old. just this weekend i have to show it the first chapters to my youngest brother (19) to remember him that we watched ranma when we were kids. good times and good weekend.
Touma

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:26 am Reply with quote
Waffitti wrote:
I haven't watched InuYasha since it first aired on Toonami. The dub was...odd. 40+ epsiodes in, Kagome's name was changed to "Agome" ("cago me" is portuguese for "shit myself")

That is always a potential problem with names, including product names.
I wonder what Spanish-speaking countries did with Castle in the Sky. Since "la puta" is Spanish slang for "the whore", searching for Laputa could take on a somewhat different meaning.Wink

Quote:
I never cared much for the romance in the series (I never really cared much for InuYasha and Agome either, Sesshomaru and Miroku seemed more interesting to me)

I do not doubt that a lot of people have shipped Seshomaru and Miroku, but you were probably thinking of Sango and Miroku.Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
gsilverfish

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:15 pm Reply with quote
Nice to read so many peoples' memories of the show, all gels with my own experience nicely! (Also Ryouga is the best character!)

But I want to talk about the hand gesture! I don't know anything about its origins, but I spent a year abroad as an exchange student in college, and while talking with a group of people, I saw a Japanese girl pull an absolutely flawless "dramatic reaction" with both hands throwing the horns. The thing she was reacting to was surprisingly mundane--someone else's chosen major was, apparently, not what she expected it to be. I was unable to get an explanation of the gesture at the time.

I have also seen Japanese people in a normal/casual setting (ie, not a staged performance) do a fake "fall down" in response to a gag or awful pun.

I'm sure all these cases were influenced by comics and not in any way evidence that the actions had origins outside of comics or TV, but it was very surprising to see them.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Juno016 wrote:
As many people fawned over Inuyasha when it was coming out, I continuously see a ton of them turning on it later and trashing it. I'm not quite sure why, though.

You mean, don't know why they fawned on it (it was on CN for free), or why they turned on it (it went on forever, when even Ranma knew when to quit)?
As for the former, you can tell the older anime fans, they're the ones who cringe every time UY and Ranma are billed as "From the creator of Inu-Yasha!" Given the characters on that show, we always remembered it as sort of the other way around. Rolling Eyes

vanfanel wrote:
The end of Urusei Yatsura, while inconclusive, works for me -- especially because several of the movies made a kind of meta point about there being no end, ever. When I saw movie 5 (which adapts the final storyline), I thought: "...all right. You can get away with this exactly one time, but never, ever again."

And then they copied the exact same thing in detail for Ranma's manga ending.
(Trying to save fiancé' by traveling to stop the end of the world, ending up helping out another parallel arguing couple, and coming back home to end up on the "Here we go again!" run from their school enemies one more time, before we ever get that big final couple commitment.

Inaba the Dreammaker tried to do some sort of a UY ending after the series by showing us alternate futures--all of them the depressing "wrong" future--and only hinted that Lum would someday win out in the end, but it's easy to see why Rumiko didn't make that the end.
The "cast party" ending of the TV series wasn't conclusive, but it did wrap up the non-manga craziness nicely.

gsilverfish wrote:
But I want to talk about the hand gesture! I don't know anything about its origins, but I spent a year abroad as an exchange student in college, and while talking with a group of people, I saw a Japanese girl pull an absolutely flawless "dramatic reaction" with both hands throwing the horns. The thing she was reacting to was surprisingly mundane--someone else's chosen major was, apparently, not what she expected it to be. I was unable to get an explanation of the gesture at the time.

I'm sure all these cases were influenced by comics and not in any way evidence that the actions had origins outside of comics or TV, but it was very surprising to see them.

I always took the "Pulling back and throwing the horns" reaction as rooted in the "Exaggerated reactions" tradition of Japanese comedy in general (eg. Osakan), which itself could have roots in ancient exaggerated Japanese theater.

(And when the other poster referred to them as "Bullhorns", how many were first picturing Takahashi characters frequently shouting through police bullhorns, like UY's Megane shouting his love for Lum-san on the rooftop?) Wink
Juno016

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:35 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
Juno016 wrote:
As many people fawned over Inuyasha when it was coming out, I continuously see a ton of them turning on it later and trashing it. I'm not quite sure why, though.

You mean, don't know why they fawned on it (it was on CN for free), or why they turned on it (it went on forever, when even Ranma knew when to quit)?
As for the former, you can tell the older anime fans, they're the ones who cringe every time UY and Ranma are billed as "From the creator of Inu-Yasha!" Given the characters on that show, we always remembered it as sort of the other way around. Rolling Eyes

Ranma 1/2's 38 manga volumes corresponded to 161 anime episodes.
Inuyasha's first 36 volumes corresponded to all 167 episodes (before the final chapter anime, which sped through the rest of the manga).
Unless you consider the open ending of the anime (which I can't say was a flaw of the story, but one of the production), they're around the same length. The people I see criticizing it do so because of the story itself, though. And what I don't get is why people loved it and then went back and hated it for those reasons. When I went back to re-watch it, I was expecting similar feelings, but I came out just as satisfied as I was when I was younger, with my only grievances being a few minor plot holes (which were anime-only) and the general quality of the animation, which was true for most stuff around that time.

I just don't get what's wrong with its story-telling apart from the fact that it's a long-running series. I can see that turning some people off from it if they think it drags, but then the same holds true for anything long-running and those same people who hated on Inuyasha still enjoyed lots of other long-running, repetitive stuff. :/
Petrea Mitchell

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:54 pm Reply with quote
No survey of the effect of Urusei Yatsura on the West can be complete without mentioning my first favorite RPG, Teenagers From Outer Space! (That's the later edition with the more anime-fied artwork. You wouldn't have necessarily guessed what inspired it from looking at the first edition, but if you were seen carrying a copy around at a gaming con, complete strangers would approach you to ask if you knew it had been inspired by this great Japanese show that you should totally check out. At least that was my experience.)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
EricJ2

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Petrea Mitchell wrote:
No survey of the effect of Urusei Yatsura on the West can be complete without mentioning my first favorite RPG, Teenagers From Outer Space!

And then, of course, the scene from Otaku no Video, where American anime fans (the kind living in Japan at the time) were comically re-translated to make it look as if all underground US anime fans in the birth-of-anime late 80's/early 90's were a nation of obsessed Lum stalkers.
What was so funny about that?: Back then, WE WERE. Very Happy

Mikeski wrote:
"I don't think about such things, and neither should you." --Rumiko Takahashi, on the possibility of a Ranma pregnancy

Although a more to the point answer would be, "I'd like to see Kuno TRY... Cool "
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:31 pm Reply with quote
I was more of a Urusei Yatsura fan, watchec sll 195 via Netflix. Probably most of it is still available via disc. Gaps would not be that big a deal, due to episodic nature. I would recommend the 30 to 70 ish range.

I did just check and all 4 discs of Rumiko Takahashi Anthology are available on Netflix.
Anton Chigurh

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:35 pm Reply with quote
maximilianjenus wrote:

Anton Chigurh wrote:
And of all characters I liked Ranma the most. Every time someone would stump him with new, insane fighting techniques, he'd either fight his way around them or develop his own. At the same time he was pretty full of himself (he often claimed never to have lost a match, a very suspect claim as the series goes on) and his callousness could actually hurt those around him when he didn't think before speaking. Whether by accident or design -from what I've read, mostly the former -, Takahashi made him an engaging lead.

in teh same interview takahashi talks about ranma pregnancy (iirc) she also mentions that initially she wanted to make ranma a karate practicioner, a good guy who always stod with his ideals, was honest and sincere; she found that to be very boring and changed him to what he is now, an anything goes martial arts practicioner who is too full of himself and egoistical and all the defects that make him such a fun character. i remember one pece dialog in one of the ovas in which he is saying "all the girlsare mine" or something similar, it was great to see how derailed he ahd became because of his harem, i love takahashi's one guy 3 girls harems.

It always drew me to Ranma that nearly every new fighter in the show would challenge him and yet he would find a way to win. It's not really an exaggeration that almost half the total cast of the series had a bone to pick with him, and yet that never seemed to weigh him down. You don't see that often in mainstream comics today.

Speaking of the girls, it always bothered me that Kodachi Kuno would be left out of all marketing materials with them. So she had a mania for using poisons and sometimes near-lethal force - if I remember well, one time Shampoo used some mind control shenanigan to have Ranma marry her, and I don't think that's the most questionable thing she ever did. I can't help but find the latter creepier, yet Shampoo never gets this treatment. Quite bothersome.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:53 pm Reply with quote
Juno016 wrote:

Ranma 1/2's 38 manga volumes corresponded to 161 anime episodes.

Ranma TV finished way before the manga finished.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:58 pm Reply with quote
I remember shampoo using that on akane so akane forgets ranma, so similar but less rapey.

EricJ2 wrote:

Mikeski wrote:

Although a more to the point answer would be, "I'd like to see Kuno TRY... Cool "

i ahd a nice flashback to tht interview when the one piece author was asked in luffy's manhood can stretch too, to which he answered "of course it can" and later even anwered that question in manga form.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5