• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - Rumiko Rundown

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:04 am Reply with quote
Bluenoser wrote:
Although one of my other cherished memories come from Robot Chicken and a sketch they did with a father getting into Inuyasha from his daughter and getting to be more of a addict than her (and all in the end so as to turn her off of it so he could watch what he wanted, but still), as it really underscored just how much that series had permeated American media culture. Not to mention the sketch in its own right was fairly amusing.

Robot Chicken did a Ranma parody too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3U8SKJwMNA8
Bluenoser

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:44 am Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
Bluenoser wrote:
Although one of my other cherished memories come from Robot Chicken and a sketch they did with a father getting into Inuyasha from his daughter and getting to be more of a addict than her (and all in the end so as to turn her off of it so he could watch what he wanted, but still), as it really underscored just how much that series had permeated American media culture. Not to mention the sketch in its own right was fairly amusing.

Robot Chicken did a Ranma parody too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3U8SKJwMNA8

Oh right, I had forgotten that one I'm sorry to say. It did not stick in my mind as much as the Inuyasha one did, perhaps because we expect The Nerd (tm) to rave about such things as opposed to watching the father turn his life into a total Inuyasha fan freak. I don't know. Still though nice catch and thanks for the reminder. I love Robot Chicken, some of the snark on modern mythology and storytelling they do as it defines my American neighbours just absolutely slays me on occasion. The downside of that being of course I get bits of their stuck in my head whenever I see certain products, one example being for both my wife and me is the Huggy brand detergent/fabric softener. or whenever I look at a Hungry Man dinner I keep hearing the Trojan Man adapted to saying Hungry Man, stupid stuff like that.

The Inuyasha bit though I thought absolutely hilarious on multiple counts, but Tthe Nerd (tm) Ranma bit was a bit more "meh" for me/us, but that they are both there does underscore just how pervasive Rumiko Takahashi's influence has been on American mainstream exposure to anime, especially for the older crowd. Now, if I see a Robot Chicken Lum parody (assuming I haven't missed one already) as the focus then I will be really pleased, but then I was a real fan of Lum and company from the outset, as I noted before that was where my exposure and interest in anime beyond the hard core SF material came from. Indeed, I blame Rumiko Takahashi for my love of the harem genre in general in no small part thanks to Lum...*chuckle*
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5