• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: One-Punch Man Has 3.2 Million Copies in Print

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ShatteredWorld

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:42 pm Reply with quote
Good to hear! The series is amazing! Hopefully this leads to an animated series (but obviously not too sooon, as the manga hasn't got much material)
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:29 am Reply with quote
Oh thank god. One-Punch Man is one of the best comics on any continent (with so much cross appeal with both fans of Sentai Heroes and Super Heroes). I was worried it might just stop someday due to lack of interest.

Glad that doesn't seem to be the case!

If you're not reading One-Punch Man, you're missing out.
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:50 am Reply with quote
I can't wait to actually buy the physical volumes that get localized here. This series is just great on so many levels.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:51 am Reply with quote
Thatguy3331 wrote:
I can't wait to actually buy the physical volumes that get localized here. This series is just great on so many levels.

I heard a terrible rumor that some of the action scenes in the serialized manga were edited down for space in the collected edition. I hope that doesn't translate over to print volumes.
Anton Chigurh

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:15 am Reply with quote
OPM is the rare, near once-in-a-lifetime comic that's totally - and as of recent chapters, only - worth reading when it has its main character front and center. I find the author's over-the-top versions of classic Shonen fighting archetypes amusing, but the evidence bears out they cannot carry the entire series, especially since the story always defaults to typic fighting fare when Saitama is away doing whatever.

The series still made the American WSJ worth checking out all by itself in the early goings, though, and that's quite an achievement.
lijachan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:24 am Reply with quote
I wish this would be a catalyst for an animation series...but yeah, like someone mentioned, not enough material to animate so far. Anime hyper
I absolutely love this manga though... ;w;
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:06 am Reply with quote
Anton Chigurh wrote:
OPM is the rare, near once-in-a-lifetime comic that's totally - and as of recent chapters, only - worth reading when it has its main character front and center. I find the author's over-the-top versions of classic Shonen fighting archetypes amusing, but the evidence bears out they cannot carry the entire series, especially since the story always defaults to typic fighting fare when Saitama is away doing whatever.

Really? Because I'm finding the extended cast is really making the series even better then before. Saitama's a great character, but all these other heroes are all just as familiar, yet quirky. I've loved every scene with the group on the ground in the current arc.
thaivuN

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:24 am Reply with quote
ShatteredWorld wrote:
Good to hear! The series is amazing! Hopefully this leads to an animated series (but obviously not too sooon, as the manga hasn't got much material)

There's enough material to make one or two seasons. One-Punch Man has the original web comic version drawn by the author ONE, which is one big arc ahead of the current version.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:07 pm Reply with quote
From what I read the character designs are way cool but the rest is terribly generic. Depending on how much of the past shonen jump series you have ingested, it might be fresh and new. Compared to reading most since the early 90's, OPM is really generic fare.

3.2 million is awesome to hear. I would rather see OPM become something big then most of the subjects that are animated now though.
Anton Chigurh

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Mr Adventure wrote:
Anton Chigurh wrote:

Really? Because I'm finding the extended cast is really making the series even better then before. Saitama's a great character, but all these other heroes are all just as familiar, yet quirky. I've loved every scene with the group on the ground in the current arc.

Don't get me wrong, I find them amusing too. But the author is not using them to express an opinion on the Shonen fighting genre the way he uses Saitama's matter-of-fact attitude towards his own strength to comment on the general silliness of power levels and hellish training regimes. I also LOVE the little gags the author adds here and there during battle, but they only add texture, not depth.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Shadowrun20XX wrote:
From what I read the character designs are way cool but the rest is terribly generic. Depending on how much of the past shonen jump series you have ingested, it might be fresh and new. Compared to reading most since the early 90's, OPM is really generic fare.

3.2 million is awesome to hear. I would rather see OPM become something big then most of the subjects that are animated now though.

OPM is only generic if you've read a LOT of Super Hero comedies. Like Giffen and Dematteis's Justice League International or Adam Warren's Empowered (oh man, now I want an Empowered/One-Punch Man crossover, Someone get Adam Warren on the phone!). Compared to actual Shonen comics, its... actually very little like them. Except for occasionally poking fun at its tropes. It much more Western in its subject matter.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Its pretty damn generic. Doesn't seem like something this community would really go crazy about. The first enemy had a Piccolo look, the flashback had a lame crab, the brawn brothers had a kind of Trigun Nebraska bros feel, then turning tyrant (resident evil) giant. All to be one punched? Does it become fantastic later?
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Personally I thought it started out fantastic and continued to get yet more fantastic.

Its absurd core premise never wears thin IMO. And of course its designs seem similar to other things, its a comedy series that regularly takes the piss out of famous manga tropes.

It stops being episodic if that's what you're asking, more characters are introduced and such.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:04 pm Reply with quote
By chapter 9 its starting to get good. It doesn't seem like any idea he though of got cut. It's in there. Its got an astro fighter red kind of comedy/superman feel to it. I can see this being animated.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:46 am Reply with quote
Here's a One-Punch Man mock-up OP some fan put together.

And here are some animated GIFs people have put together from the raw Manga artwork.

So yeah. An anime would be pretty rad. The animated quality of the manga is one of its most impressive aspect anyway.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1