Forum - View topic
Now Streaming: M3 the dark metal Episode 1


Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Stark700



Joined: 30 Jan 2012
Posts: 6129
Location: Earth

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:24 pm Reply with quote
This show seems kinda confusing right now but I think it has potential. I hope they reveal the backgrounds of some of the characters soon, especially the more prominent ones like Akashi.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BooktapC



Joined: 13 Apr 2011
Posts: 80

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:46 pm Reply with quote
It does have potential. It has one of the better and more cohesive starter episodes than most of the other Spring 2014 anime series that have already premiered.

Black Bullet started out kind of not so impressive and so did No Game No Life a tad.

This has this mystery that makes you want to know more. Also the mechs... I don't think it is going to be them as the centerpiece it is kind of going to be the characters being the center focus and the mechs are just going to be extensions of themselves or tools like in Code Geass or say Guilty Crown. In Valvrave the Liberator the mecha robots were kind of the centerpiece. Not here I get the feeling.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
L'Imperatore



Joined: 24 Mar 2014
Posts: 223

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:22 pm Reply with quote
I'm liking what I've seen so far Smile The mystery (who the heck is that singing girl anyway?) works well in enticing me to watch the next episode.
And boy, the Admonitions' moanings are creepy.

Lastly... where are we supposed to discuss each episode? Here, or in the Anime discussion forum? Confused
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DangerMouse



Joined: 25 Mar 2009
Posts: 1679

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:17 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, that was a pretty good first episode, I'm successfully drawn into the mystery and learning more.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nightjuan



Joined: 22 Jan 2008
Posts: 1412

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:37 am Reply with quote
BooktapC wrote:

This has this mystery that makes you want to know more. Also the mechs... I don't think it is going to be them as the centerpiece it is kind of going to be the characters being the center focus and the mechs are just going to be extensions of themselves or tools like in Code Geass or say Guilty Crown. In Valvrave the Liberator the mecha robots were kind of the centerpiece. Not here I get the feeling.


Not sure I can quite agree. Of all the shows you mentioned, Guilty Crown had the smallest amount of robot focus, because the protagonist simply didn't pilot one and those who did weren't important characters in any case, but that doesn't necessarily mean this will be like that. It's too early to tell.

But more generally speaking....robots aren't the center of attention even in a lot of mecha series, actually. Patlabor spends more time with the character interactions than with the Labors themselves, despite their iconic nature, although at least there they're regularly present as a background element even when not being used.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BooktapC



Joined: 13 Apr 2011
Posts: 80

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:12 pm Reply with quote
nightjuan wrote:
BooktapC wrote:

This has this mystery that makes you want to know more. Also the mechs... I don't think it is going to be them as the centerpiece it is kind of going to be the characters being the center focus and the mechs are just going to be extensions of themselves or tools like in Code Geass or say Guilty Crown. In Valvrave the Liberator the mecha robots were kind of the centerpiece. Not here I get the feeling.


Not sure I can quite agree. Of all the shows you mentioned, Guilty Crown had the smallest amount of robot focus, because the protagonist simply didn't pilot one and those who did weren't important characters in any case, but that doesn't necessarily mean this will be like that. It's too early to tell.

But more generally speaking....robots aren't the center of attention even in a lot of mecha series, actually. Patlabor spends more time with the character interactions than with the Labors themselves, despite their iconic nature, although at least there they're regularly present as a background element even when not being used.


That is what I said. In Guilty Crown and Code Geass both series did not have mecha robots as the center of attention. Guilty Crown had the least focus because they hardly even went into details on them. I have not seen Patlabor but have heard of it so do not know anything beyond it. Valvrave the Liberator though did have the mecha robots as the main focus so much so they were thinking beings or at least one or two of them. I only said I get the feeling that it probably wont be focused on mecha robots themselves but the character interactions. Most mecha anime series have noticed do not focus on the mecha robots like you mentioned,nightjuan. Except Valvrave the Liberator which is a 2013 anime series which absolutely loved for that reason.

It is just a feeling and so it is not concrete after all your right it is only the first episode. I was just airing my first impressions Razz
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
unready



Joined: 07 Jun 2009
Posts: 238
Location: Illinois, USA

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 4:49 pm Reply with quote
So this item is a "Column" with absolutely no text, as opposed to, say, a "News" or "Interest" (or amusing "Advertorial" I've recently seen) item with just "Here are the links."

So, yeah, I'm not a site editor, but the choice seems ... odd.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
srlracing



Joined: 28 Feb 2013
Posts: 23

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 11:00 pm Reply with quote
I really like how ANN is posting each episode of M3 as Daisuki publishes them on YouTube. I really like Daisuki's service but since they do not have as many simulcasts, as much news content, lack Crunchyroll's ingenious publishing count down widget, and lack a dedicated Roku channel (though I can now use my Roku thanks to them simulcasting through YouTube) it is much easier for me to keep up with the series having it posted to a site I frequent several times a day. So please continue to do this.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mohawk52



Joined: 16 Oct 2003
Posts: 7342
Location: England, UK

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 5:28 pm Reply with quote
The Title has me in silly giggles, because the motorway I have to drive on to and from my work in London, is called the M3. Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ali07



Joined: 01 Jun 2014
Posts: 813
Location: Victoria, Australia

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:02 am Reply with quote
Been enjoying this one, even though I feel like it's going to a dark place.

I was liking where they seemed to be going with Emiru. It looked a bit like the "loser come good" story. Instead, they've gone down the "loser cops worse ****" path with her. I don't think that many would find her a sympathetic character, but I kind of do.

Have yet to see this latest episode, but I'm finding this series to be pretty interesting.

Still needs to flesh out some of the characters, as I feel like they've only really touched on Akashi and Emiru. I'd only guess and say I think the other characters won't have pleasant pasts either...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
lizardking461



Joined: 14 Feb 2012
Posts: 179

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:57 pm Reply with quote
BooktapC wrote:
It does have potential. It has one of the better and more cohesive starter episodes than most of the other Spring 2014 anime series that have already premiered.


I take it things like Mushishi, Ping Pong, and Sidonia aren't up your street? ...

Mohawk52 wrote:
The Title has me in silly giggles, because the motorway I have to drive on to and from my work in London, is called the M3. Laughing


Yeah, if they wanted a much darker and more harrowing title they definitely should have gone for "M25"...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
L'Imperatore



Joined: 24 Mar 2014
Posts: 223

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:02 pm Reply with quote
Boss, you uploaded episode 8 in wrong order. 1st part is actually the 2nd and vice versa. You might want to fix that Wink
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MaxSouth



Joined: 11 Oct 2008
Posts: 843

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:58 am Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
This show seems kinda confusing right now but I think it has potential.


Hardly; the average rating for this show (runs since April) is "Decent", which in my practice most of the time translates to atrocious and unwatchable.


Last edited by MaxSouth on Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
getchman
Pirate KingPirate King


Joined: 07 Apr 2012
Posts: 6499
Location: Cheshire, CT

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:01 pm Reply with quote
he posted that in April. his opinions have changed
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
MaxSouth



Joined: 11 Oct 2008
Posts: 843

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:11 pm Reply with quote
Ha-ha-ha, I did not notice. I somehow thought I am reading a new discussion; my bad.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group