• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Honey & Clover II Ending -Spoilers- Questions/Discussion

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TcDohl

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:16 pm Reply with quote
A few questions I'd like answered:

Why did they change the voice actor for Takemoto?

Why was the expression of love between family members so unusual and blown out of proportion?

Did Kaoru want to see Floyd's family out of remorse? Or some kind of re-assurance that his vengance has put him in the same position as him when he was a child?

Those are my questions. If you have answers, or more questions, feel free to contribute.
cardcaptormanda

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:25 pm Reply with quote
TcDohl wrote:
Why did they change the voice actor for Takemoto?

I heard Takemoto's seiyuu was in a car accident and couldn't record the last episode. There are rumors he'll do it for the DVD version, though.

TcDohl wrote:

Why was the expression of love between family members so unusual and blown out of proportion?

Because it wasn't family love. It was romantic love, at least on his part, not to mention it was so suddenly revealed to the other characters that it was a shock to say the least.

Not sure about that last question, but I personally believe it was out of some kind of remorse. I don't think he wanted to make sure the revenge was still successful at all; in fact, I think he kind of regretted ever taking revenge in the first place.

Last edited by cardcaptormanda on Sat Sep 30, 2006 1:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 11:11 am Reply with quote
You missed something, a small detail.

Kaoru had gone walkabout as a result of his feelings of misery over the whole takeover business. Somehow, he'd failed to realise his father's point about not taking vengeance. After the takeover, however, it slowly dawned on him that not only was what he'd been doing in direct conflict with his dead father's wishes, it was also a move that was guaranteed to bring about retribution at a later date, when Floyd's children grew up and sought vengeance. He'd started a cycle of feuding.

Feeling miserable, he sought his home ground. He went back to the house that he and Shinobu lived in as children, in the happy time when their fatehr was still alive. He wanted to see the old house, to somehow get in touch with that happy time.

To his surprise, he found Floyd and his family living there. They'd been offered the house at very cheap rent, on condition that they kept the garden as it had been. And they were happy, finding a way past their own calamities to get back together as a family.

Kaoru was smart enough that it only took him a few minutes to realize that this entire setup had been organised by Shinobu and the others, precisely to break the cycle of hatred -- and also to give Kaoru a sense of atonement for his evil deeds. Make no mistake, Kaoru knew very well that what he was doing with the takeover was just as morally wrong as the original takeover by Floyd.

This is why the first and most important thing Kaoru said when he phoned home is "thank you". He knew what they had done, and why they had done it -- and he understood how deep an expression of their love for him this was.

That's the part you missed. A tiny detail... Rolling Eyes

- abunai

EDIT: Grammarfix. I'm getting old...

Last edited by abunai on Sat Sep 30, 2006 12:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Bl00dHoUnD

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 12:11 pm Reply with quote
Oh, good, so my assumption on what happened was correct.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
naeblis

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 3:11 pm Reply with quote
The only real thing I hated about the ending was how nothing seemed to work out for anybody, but at the same time, did work out. For instance, Yamada didn't get Mayama, but in the end, it still worked out for her. I know that if everything had suddenly become perfect at the end, it would have cheapened the entire series, but still.... Oh well.
SomeVito

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 12:28 am Reply with quote
I rather liked how it all ended, especially Mayama not being super creepy/stalkerish. Takemoto's voice did sound just a bit odd, but there's not really any way that that could have been helped.
I remember reading around the time the Honey and Clover manga ended that it would be getting a sequel, so chances are that will most likely get an anime adaptation as well, so if you didn't like the way some things didn't get resolved maybe they will in a couple of years.
Now if only the series would get licensed.
vroenis

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 4:27 am Reply with quote
naeblis wrote:
The only real thing I hated about the ending was how nothing seemed to work out for anybody, but at the same time, did work out. For instance, Yamada didn't get Mayama, but in the end, it still worked out for her. I know that if everything had suddenly become perfect at the end, it would have cheapened the entire series, but still.... Oh well.

I couldn't disagree more - the progress that each character made was extremely subtle, and certainly none of the outcomes were the most obvious, so much so that this is one of the strongest points made by the series. Hardly anyone got what they were expecting, even spoiler[Mayama never thought that Rika would actually open herself up to him and they would truly become lovers.] What's great about this series is that once certain things have been taken care of, it doesn't go ahead and clearly show the result of an issue that we know is clearly evident anyway, ie., spoiler[Mayama and Rika, Yamada and Nomiya, Hagu and Shuu etc.] We essentially know that everything will be alright, what we're shown instead is what emotional growth they've had to undergo to get there, something I greatly enjoyed. I never felt that the ultimate conclusion of the series would be safe pairings for all - indeed, it's blatantly obvious in spoiler[Takemoto's case that he was never going to end-up with Hagu, and as I've said before in the other Hachikuro thread, I feel he's always known this. The lesson he had to learn was pretty much clearly explained in his own questioning; 'What is the point of a failed-love?', and I believe he firmly got his answer, and a greatly encouraging and positive one too.]

Perhaps it's just my tilt and perceptions, in fact each person's perceptions will certainly have an effect on how they view the outcome of the series, but for me the scenes that were shown while the credits roled were absolutely sufficient and in a way perfect to show how everything is going for the characters.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1