• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sword Art Online 1 Was #4 on Barnes & Noble's Sci-Fi & Fantasy Books

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Student no.0

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:33 am Reply with quote
Awesome thing to hear for Yen Press!
vanfanel

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:35 am Reply with quote
Student no.0 wrote:

Wow, good for them! SAO the anime gets a lot of flack here, but I think the first novel is perfectly enjoyable.
Student no.0

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:47 am Reply with quote
vanfanel wrote:
Student no.0 wrote:

Wow, good for them! SAO the anime gets a lot of flack here, but I think the first novel is perfectly enjoyable.
I totally agree with you. Can't wait for my order of the LN to get here soon!
Knight-Hart

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:11 am Reply with quote
I bought it in person from Chapters, and it's really good. Must've been a pain to translate a whole book. I wish they'd do it for all the Steins;Gate books.
Kyofu

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:08 am Reply with quote
Knight-Hart wrote:
I bought it in person from Chapters, and it's really good. Must've been a pain to translate a whole book. I wish they'd do it for all the Steins;Gate books.

Steins;Gate is originally a visual novel though. And it is translated and licensed in the west.
midori kou

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:17 am Reply with quote
Kudos to the translator, writer, and editor for their work on this. I'm really impressed with the first volume.

Gotta keep supporting the actual releases. I really want them to reach the Alicization arc.
Kuro-Law

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:25 am Reply with quote
Great... now release the Log Horizon LN which are infinitely better
TUSF

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:30 am Reply with quote
Kuro-Law wrote:

Mamare said in a Q&A (on 4chan) that it was unlikely to happen, considering how Light Novels rarely do well in the west.
Spark_

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:38 am Reply with quote
I think I'm going to have to pick up a copy of this. I found the first part of the anime pretty enjoyable, and from the excerpts I've seen Kawahara isn't that bad of a writer, the plot's just kinda messy.
Knight-Hart

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:48 am Reply with quote
Kyofu wrote:
Knight-Hart wrote:

Steins;Gate is originally a visual novel though. And it is translated and licensed in the west.

True. I know it's licensed by JAST, but there's a lot of side stories and stuff. There's actually quite a few novels.

Also, does anyone know what those little squares of green paper with a pattern that looks like computer hardware is? It came in my copy, but I have no clue what it is.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:18 pm Reply with quote
TUSF wrote:
Kuro-Law wrote:

Mamare said in a Q&A (on 4chan) that it was unlikely to happen, considering how Light Novels rarely do well in the west.

This, I think they are only bring popular titles to US, not random titles. Bring all the LNs from Japan to US will bankrupt very quick. Get to pick the right one.
EighteenSky

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:34 pm Reply with quote
Really good news to hear is this, always want LNs to perform well no matter the series. Still waiting for mine to be shipped, pretty much every UK site hasn't shipped them yet Sad Must be a delay in stock from the US.
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:35 pm Reply with quote
TUSF wrote:

Has Mamare taken a position on the fan translations? Given his interaction with Western fans, he must know they exist.
TUSF

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:45 pm Reply with quote
Utsuro no Hako wrote:
TUSF wrote:

Has Mamare taken a position on the fan translations? Given his interaction with Western fans, he must know they exist.

Quote:
>>Also a question, have you heard that your fans are fan translating your Light novels? Because we're enjoying them a lot.
I am aware of it. Because of my relations with the guys at my editing company, I can't really recommend it but...
If you enjoy it, then it's OK for me!(≧∀≦)
xeroth

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:54 pm Reply with quote
TUSF wrote:
Kuro-Law wrote:

Which is why we need SAO and other Light Novels to do well, since Yen Press is taking a chance with them at last.
I've ordered my copy, definitely getting Index and might pick up Accel World as well when they're out. I'd love Log Horizon, Durarara and all the Monogatari novels to be released eventually...

Kinda surprised they're doing print editions and not just ebooks tbh.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2