• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Looking for DS/3DS Recommendations

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Video Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brainchild129

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:28 pm Reply with quote
So, I have a DS and a 2DS. I love them, and I love playing games on them. The only trouble is sorting out the good ones from the crap (an especially big problem for DS games). So I'm putting this out there to get some recommendations for others for games I should look into.

What kind of games do I like?
*Visual novels - I rather like this format, at least for the handhelds. I have all the Ace Attorney games, 999, Hotel Dusk, and Time Hollow. Hell, I even have Hakuoki, mostly because I'm still stunned that an otome game got an official release in the US, much less outside of the PC format. So as long as the story is interesting, I'm totally open to games like these.
*Turn-based strategy - X-COM got me hooked on this format, and I've just gotten into the Fire Emblem series in a big way (starting with Awakening, continuing with Sacred Stones for the GBA, and am currently waiting on getting Shadow Dragon). More like this is totally welcome.
*RPGs - I'm on a bit of bender these days for these. I have Chrono Trigger, Glory of Heracles, The Dark Spire, and am currently waiting on Radiant Historia to come to me.
*Platformers - As a child of the NES era, I love a good old school platfomer. I have Super Mario Bros for the DS. I had Super Princess Peach as well, but its gimmicks wore out fast for me.
*Rhythm games - I have Rhythm Heaven, the 2nd Ouendan game (boyfriend has the 1st), and Elite Beat Agents.

So aside from that, I'm open to suggestions. Since the DS is region-free, feel free to recommend any foreign games that worth seeking out, so long as they aren't text intensive.
Dessa

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Obligatory Bravely Default rec. It's very old-school, classic FF-style. Also, the Devil Survivor games (SMT: DeSu [DS], SMT: DeSu: Overclocked [3DS remake], SMT: DeSu 2 [DS]), which are a really nice mix between turn-based strategy and turn-based RPG. I prefer the first game's story over the second one, personally, and Overclocked is the first game with added content and full voice acting.

For more games, well, let me just give you the entirety of my 3DS collection (in alphabetical order):

Kingdom Hearts: Dream Drop Distance (RPG, but only if you've played all of the other games)
Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D
Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
Project x Zone (turn-based strategy)
Shin Megami Tensei IV (RPG)
Shin Megami Tensei: Soul Hackers (RPG)
Tales of the Abyss (RPG)

And let's add on some DS games:
Heroes of Mana (real time strategy RPG)
Sands of Destruction (RPG)
Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey (RPG)
Suikoden Tierkreis (RPG)
The World Ends with You (RPG)
zawa113

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:18 pm Reply with quote
You have 999, but do you have the sequel, Virtue's Last Reward? That's on 3DS, I think I liked it even more than 999! Also, don't forget that Phoenix Wright: Dual Destinies is on the 3DS, it's download only, but get it! And don't forget to pay extra for the bonus episode. Also by the same creators, Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective is one of my all-time favorite DS games. Broken Sword is an old-school style adventure game and the DS version is quite good and is cheap and plentiful.

I, too, am a fan of music and rhythm games. Check out Space Invaders Extreme 2, which sounds lame by premise, but is actually really really awesome. Meteos sort of falls into this general category too and is tons of fun. But don't bother with the Disney Meteos, gotta get original. I've yet to play it, but I am aware that Level-5 made a rhythm based game called Weapon Shop de Omasse, which is sort of about what the weapon makers in RPGs do. Get Retro/Grade if you have a PSN or whatnot.

For turn based strategy, definitely not my forte, but there is Advance Wars: Dual Strike that is most excellent. Might & Magic: Clash of Heroes is an amazing game too, though to be honest, the DS version isn't the best, if you can get it steam or PSN or XBLA or whatnot, get it there instead (you'll also be able to play against other people more easily)

Platformers I can perhaps be of more help. Monster Tale and Henry Hatsworth, both on DS by the same developer, are both fantastic games. Monster Tale is more Metroidvania style and Henry Hatsworth is Nintendo hard at all times, but get them both. In fact, Gamestop sell them for $5 and $3, there's really no excuse, it's hard to get a better platformer for DS for $3. For your 3DS, download one of the Wario Land games and Shantae. VVVVVV is another weird platforming thing and Gunman Clive is only $2.

For RPGs, do get Mario & Luigi: Bower's Inside Story. Partners in Time is alright, but Bowser's Inside Story is clearly superior. Also be sure to look into the Dragon Quest remakes (though in 5 and 6's case, first time in the states ever). 4 is alright, but 5 and 6 are both well worth your time. There's also the Monsters Joker series too. Genius Sonority made The Denpa Men for 3DS download for cool RPGs. Level-5 made Crimson Shroud too, which is designed to look like a tabletop RPG.

Other random things I suggest include: Prism: Light the Way and Pushmo for good puzzle games/time wasters. There's also a version of Plants vs Zombies out there somewhere, I adored that. Puzzle Quest might as well be straight up crack. Not sure how to classify Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime, but I really liked that too. Adventure platforming maybe? I dunno. And definitely pick up Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds on your 3DS (and download any older ones you might've missed, so Oracle of Ages, Oracle of Seasons, and Link's Awakening)
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 6:11 am Reply with quote
Brainchild: If you're not too easily embarrassed, try Feel the Magic and Rub Rabbits.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 1:39 pm Reply with quote
Super Mario 3D Land is without a doubt one of the best Mario platformers ever made. It brings back a lot of the elements of classic Mario games that all of the previous 3D Mario games have lacked. I personally rank it up with Mario World and Mario 3.

A Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds is also a no-brainer title. Its one of the few games I've played in a long time that I started playing and beat in less then a week. Its very engrossing. And it just feels good to play. Again its a game that brings back a franchise's older mechanics in a modern way.

As for RPGs, I'm personally a big Atlus/Shin Megami Tensei fan. Shin Megami Tensei: Stange Journey is a great DS RPG with sci-fi horror elements. Its quite a bit different from the Final Fantasy and Dragon Quests as its a first person dungeon crawler with a 'collectible monster' concept. There's also Shin Megami Tensei IV for the 3DS, which I didn't like as much. But stylistically its very memorable. And Shin Megami Tensi: Demon Summoner: Soul Hackers which is an enhanced port of a PS1 era game. This one is again a first person dungeon crawler with a cyberpunk/horror theme. And if you like tactical RPGs like Fire Emblem, there's Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked for 3DS.

And if you'd rather play some more tradtional fantasy, there's Etrian Odyssey IV for 3DS which, again is a first person dungeon crawler but this time instead of collecting demons to fight for you, you build a custom party like the early days of Ultima and Final Fantasy. There are also Etrian Odyssey games for DS, and an enhanced port of Etrian Odyssey 1 on 3DS called Etrian Odyssey Untold: The Millennium Girl.

So if you can looking for RPGs, you've come to the right place.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Video Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1