• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Pile of Shame - Legend of the Dragon Kings

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
musouka

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:22 am Reply with quote
I have very fond memories of watching this series with my mom as she did her laundry. (Her favorites were Hajime and Amaru) Unsurprising, considering that the bunkoban afterword makes special mention of the series being popular with girls.

Yeah, it's an ugly, cheap series of OAVs, but I enjoyed it for what it was. If I remember correctly, like a lot of Tanaka Yoshiki series, the novels are technically still ongoing...
belvadeer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:43 am Reply with quote
Well I have to confess that I bought this for the dragons at first (during my dragon anime phase). Because dragons people, seriously. It's hard to find nowadays (at least according to most accounts of rare DVD hunters), but I scooped up the entire set of DVDs at Anime Expo 2008 for a fair price. Looking back, the story is pretty absurd and it seems like the brothers were made to be too powerful for some old man's mafia tactics. One episode that made me laugh hard was spoiler[when they went to the carnival and were attacked by Funazu's men disguised in mascot costumes]. I imagine if any typical Internet smartasses see that episode, they'll caption something about spoiler[furries bothering regular folks no matter where you go or how furries are everywhere].
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:57 pm Reply with quote
Wow, a Pile of Shame column about a title I actually own! But haven't watched yet. I picked up the six volumes (used) relatively cheap about a year-and-a-half ago. Too bad the series seems to blow.
Hunter Sopko

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Given how much you used to complain about this show, Justin, I'm surprised you hadn't seen it in its entirety yet.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:44 pm Reply with quote
I watched most of this via Netflix when I was running out of anime titles to rent. Somehow I was never able to watch the last volume, and I didn't lose any sleep over that. Smile
Shenl742

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Well...I got the whole thing for $6 last X-Mas at a local used video/game store, haven't watched it yet (don't know when I'll get to it...or if I ever will!)...but for that price I think it's worth owning one of Justin's "Worst Anime of All Time"...

...hell that's probably what convinced me to get it in the first place!!
Tenebrae

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:54 pm Reply with quote
Haha, I remember the ads for this on Manga's VHSes. Or rather, the only thing I remember about it is the boys complaining how the girl had gotten herself kidnapped AGAIN. Though the dragon thing grabbed my interest a little, even back then I realized there might be anime out there that juuust might not be worth the money I'd have to put down for them... so I never got around to be the proud(?) owner of this show.
Nilrem

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:48 pm Reply with quote
I remember this as one of the first anime (that I knew to be anime) that I watched, alongside things like 3x3 Eyes, it used to be on Channel 4 in the UK in the early or mid 90's (anyone else from the UK remember the "Late License" block, on Fridays I think?)

I can't remember if I ever managed to watch it all or not (I can't remember an ending at all), but it certainly didn't put me off anime Smile
Although having said that, I have noticed that an awful lot of what I originally watched, when watching it now is terrible Smile

Although I've not seen it in years, I recognised the picture on the sidebar before I read the text.
vanfanel

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:00 am Reply with quote
The first book in the series was the first Japanese novel I ever managed to read in full. I had a Japanese friend at the time (yes, female) who had mentioned liking the series, so I stuck with that first volume to the bitter end, Tanaka's formidable vocabulary notwithstanding.

The book itself is, IMO, pretty awful. I eventually watched the anime for as far into the series as I'd read, which left me with zero interest in reading or seeing any more. As Justin said, there are two sets of really nice cover art, so there's really no excuse for this not at least looking good. The only wrong choice for character designs was "none of the above."

(though the CLAMP covers may have come after the anime; not sure about the timing of that)
Volente

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:23 am Reply with quote
I vaguely recall watching this in the early hours of the morning on Channel 4, but I can't really remember anything about it. I think there was a bit where someone dropped a ship on the White House lawn?
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:46 am Reply with quote
If Manga UK dubbed it in London, do the characters have British accents? I can't recall seeing an anime dubbed with British accents, even though it seems like quite a few anime were actually dubbed in Great Britain.

This sounds like a trainwreck. 12 eps 45 minutes each? And people actually paid to see 'em all in theaters? Ouch!

(Does anyone still have access to the homoerotic parody dub? It'd be a great Youtube extra!)
EnigmaticSky

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Justin, how could you not have kept the homoerotic parody dub as a secret easter egg? That is just irresponsible.
Nilrem

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 12:10 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
If Manga UK dubbed it in London, do the characters have British accents? I can't recall seeing an anime dubbed with British accents, even though it seems like quite a few anime were actually dubbed in Great Britain.

This sounds like a trainwreck. 12 eps 45 minutes each? And people actually paid to see 'em all in theaters? Ouch!

(Does anyone still have access to the homoerotic parody dub? It'd be a great Youtube extra!)

I don't really remember any of the old Manga UK dubs having a particularly strong accent from any of the regions in the UK, oddly enough it seems to be American productions that tend to use strong/highly exaggerated British regional accents (one of the reasons I like the Hellsing dub was that they sounded far more natural to my ear than pretty much any other American production where British accents were tried).
I think most of them tended to use a fairly neutral accent, or something appropriate for the role rather than a strong Cockney/Scottish/Welsh/Geordie*/Liverpudlian/Yorkshire/Devon accent.

Mind you this is going from memory, and I'm British from the South East so I probably wouldn't notice too much of what you might call a "British"accent if it was from this general area Smile
I've never heard a "true Cockney" accent that sounded like you often hear in films, at best I sometimes hear Londoners with a minor accent play it up to be closer to the "mockney" of Dick Van Dyke etc.

*I had an Aunt who was Geordie, I could have done with subtitles to understand her at times Smile
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 12:45 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:

The Heroic Legend of Arslan and maybe Demon City Shinjuku
ActionJacksin

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 1:22 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Agent355 wrote:

The Heroic Legend of Arslan and maybe Demon City Shinjuku

Shinjuku was more a case of literally any accent that existed in the English language being used for every character, be it British, Cockney, Southern U.S., stereotypical Chinese kung-fu movie Asain accents, the whole nine yards.

The only other *British* sounding Manga dub I know of aside from Arslan would be their VHS-only dub of the yawn-inducing CLAMP anime RG Veda.

Oh, and that industrial music OP to Four Kings? Apparently it was done by Donald Ross Skinner, same fellow behind the classic re-done score Manga used for Mad Bull.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2