• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Psycho-Pass Season One Blu-Ray

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ranho

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 4:28 am Reply with quote
hojo 360 wrote:
[quote=]but the result here is a mostly wooden dub where characters feel more like they're reacting in a void than reacting to one another. It's by no means bad, and improves slightly as it goes, but Funimation has usually done better than this: the lifeless, rushed feeling never really goes away.

Are you sure that's entirely the fault of the dub, though? Because the way the conversations are constructed by the writer makes it seem that way (characters not reacting to one another) in just about EVERY show he's written.

I felt that way watching Fate Zero, felt that way watching Madoka, felt that way watching what little of Suisei no Gargantia I could stomach before dropping that show and felt that way watching this show.

In fact because Psycho Pass is kinda like a police procedural and therefore most characters would naturally keep their thoughts close to their chests I gave this show a bit of a pass. Still noticed it though, and I haven't even heard how it sounds dubbed.

I personally think that Mr Urobuchi is too busy trying to cram his ideas down our throats in the most obvious way possible so we "get it" to actually make them come out naturally through the interactions of his characters.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 5:48 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
I still haven't seen Psycho-Pass. I'm a bit wary about something so dark, wordy and philosophical. I love Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, but no matter how many times I watch it, I'm never entirely sure that I get all the dialogue and concepts (could be because it's on at 3:30 am these days). But I'm definitely planning to give Psycho-Pass a shot.

Loved GITS SAC. If you love SAC you'll probably love this.
iamthevastuniverse

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 8:06 am Reply with quote
I didn't find the series to be brilliant but I did enjoy certain aspects of it through its full run while the english dub isn't above the average mark its certainly isn't wooden sounding no modern dub I've listened to in the last decade has come off as wooden. The main reason why the dub is simply an average effort in the end is because of the ADR Director Zach Bolton he's the least talented director currently working at Funimation. Zach's works are always passable but rarely do they impress or go beyond being average fare in the end. If I had to choose a favorite performance from the dub it would definitely be Alex Organ's Shōgo Makishima. Kate Oxley's Akane Tsunemori while not bad was most likely the weakest link in the entire dub. I would take the Psycho Pass dub over the Space Dandy dub any day of the week if given a choice on the matter.(That's relative because Zach was the ADR Director for both dubs) The soundtrack never left a huge impression on me but I found it to be decent at best.
EchelonHunt

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 9:02 am Reply with quote
I'm excited for Psycho-Pass on Blu-Ray! I have not heard the english dub so I wouldn't really be able to judge it until I've heard it. The only english dub I have ever enjoyed in the past was the original FMA series. Very Happy
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 11:42 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

TarsTarkas wrote:
Like many other professions, what you learned in college or an academy, is completely different than what is actually practiced on the job. This varies from job to job, and professions, but they are called rookies for a reason.

I take it you haven't seen the first episode? Because some of the things that are explained to Akane are so basic that you'd think even the general public would be familiar with them. It's like she didn't even attend the academy at all. She had to have her own sidearm explained to her, not to mention everything else.

In Akane's world, the police are something to be feared, if they visit you. There is nothing good, whether you are victim or a criminal, if the police take an interest in you. So I don't see a problem with society being ignorant of police activities.

The gun itself, seems to be a pretty expensive piece of machinery. It is not unrealistic that such a piece of weaponry wouldn't be at the academy. Money trumps common sense all the time.

Though nothing I said discounts what you are saying, each could be equally right. Only the writers know.
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 5:12 pm Reply with quote
DangerMouse wrote:
Agent355 wrote:
I still haven't seen Psycho-Pass. I'm a bit wary about something so dark, wordy and philosophical. I love Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, but no matter how many times I watch it, I'm never entirely sure that I get all the dialogue and concepts (could be because it's on at 3:30 am these days). But I'm definitely planning to give Psycho-Pass a shot.

Loved GITS SAC. If you love SAC you'll probably love this.

But Psycho-Pass doesn't have the buddy cop dynamic between cute, moe Togusa & sensitive Batou, does it?

It's funny; when I first watched GiTS:SAC, my favorite character was the badass Major, but over the years Togusa became my favorite.
danilo07

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 5:20 pm Reply with quote
I actually have hard time looking at the screen whenever Togusa appears,that mullet is dangerous I tell you.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4