• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Samurai Flamenco Episodes 11-22 Streaming

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cyclone1993

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 12:04 am Reply with quote
Akeema wrote:
yuna49 wrote:
I also expected to see more resolution of the story about spoiler[Goto's girlfriend.]

The conclusion I came to was that the bus driver did something possibly. Maybe this will be explored if there is a season 2.

There won't be a season 2. This show was a massive flop from what I understand...
Alunimus

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 1:56 am Reply with quote
Disagree with the whole review. From quite predictable show Flamenco turned out to be very original series with the whole bunch of nods to the senai-lovers. While the first plot-twist was surprising enough, Samurai Flamenco kept a lot of shocking surprises for the rest of the episodes. It keeps following different sentai trops but the way these trops are connected with each other makes the series quite unique. It's highly enjoyable and incredibly fun.
Spleen

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 2:31 am Reply with quote
Samurai Flamenco is a great example of how not to do plot twists. If you don't make them plausible, you're just taking the piss out of the audience.

The first 10 episodes lead you to believe that the show is about ordinary people trying to be superheros in a world where superpowers don't exist - in a world with the same rules as our "real world". This is a very good premise - the conflict between people's fantasies and the reality they have to cope with. We can all identify with the wannabe superheroes.

But then the writer suddenly decides that actually, superpowers DO exist in this world. So the entire story that the audience been told up till now is total bullshit. There never were actually any restrictions on the desire of the characters to be superheroes. The central conflict is gone.

Total garbage.
Eisenmann V

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 3:54 am Reply with quote
All I know is that if the climax of your show involves your hero stripping nude in front of a minor, you've gone horribly wrong.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 4:21 am Reply with quote
Yeah, the show fell apart when it suddenly threw away it's realistic setting and continued to add in increasingly unrealistic things that felt like the show was just lying to us.
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 6:05 am Reply with quote
I really enjoyed the first 10 episodes or so, and had even almost pre-ordered the first Blu-ray... But then, well...
It cut its own head off and started running around like a headless chicken. It had no idea what it was doing. I honestly don't know what the staff was thinking.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 8:29 am Reply with quote
This show was pathetic. I really kind of liked the first 7 episodes, and the twist wasn't THAT bad. But then twist, after twist, after twist, and it got REALLY dumb. We went from kickass-->kamen rider-->super sentai-->ALIENS-->GOD-->FUJOUSHI.

Yeah, there was no other reason why he got naked in the last episode, except for fujoushi bait. But even that didn't save it. It was one of the biggest flops ever, and deservedly so. Also, the cheapest OP I've ever seen was for the last few episode. It was just a slide show really, ZERO animation.
Admiral Pizzaman

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 9:27 am Reply with quote
The director has pulled a massive prank to all the audiences. Samurai Flamenco is nothing more but a booby trap. He troll us all,folks!
Spleen

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 11:59 am Reply with quote
On reflection, what Samurai Flamenco really reminds me of is what happens when you ask a six-year-old to write a story. "So I went to the zoo, and a tiger attacked me. So I turned into a plane and flew away. But then the tiger grew wings and came after me. But it was OK because BATMAN suddenly appeared! He killed the tiger with his ice breath and then we all went and had cake."

The writers of Samurai Flamenco would no doubt say that this is a very entertaining story full of unexpected twists. "Batman? With ice breath? Genius! They'll never see that coming." I would call it what happens when the writer doesn't bother creating a coherent setting with consistent and believable rules for how the writer's world works. It's just one random thing after another, and there's no dramatic tension because every situation can just be resolved by something equally random.
BladeBlur

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 1:15 pm Reply with quote
I think the thing that annoyed me the most about Flamenco was:

spoiler[Haiji. That entire plot point ruined it for me. I think if the show ended at 18 I could somewhat accept the ending, but the whole rabid fanboy turned super villain was really iffy. I hated how he was tormenting all of the Flamengers and Kaname but the show gave NO EXPLANATION WHAT SO EVER as to how he pulled it off since it turns out he was alive all that time.]

I think the best part about those final 11 episodes is simple.

FLOW DID THE OPENING THEME
Ignatz

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Samurai Flamenco is so bad that it's good.

That is all that can be said about this show. Laughing
TokyoGetter

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 3:48 pm Reply with quote
"I can't take this goofy, meta, sentai-worshipping show seriously!!!"

I had a thoroughly good time with this show, and I appreciate that it worked to entertain me. I didn't come to Samurai Flamenco for a life-changing exploration of hero psychology; I came to it because I knew it was going to be a raucous series of incredulous goofs.

And I got that.

But for God's SAKE that animation quality... ugh. You could say it's mirroring low-budget sentai shows, but medium-based veracity has its limits.
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Ignatz wrote:

Based on what the guy said in that video, I have to disagree. Samurai Flamenco's faults were due to trolling, i.e. deliberate and purposeful. Whereas the best (read: most entertaining) "nanar" are the result of the creators' ignorance of their own incompetence.

But thanks for linking to that interesting channel, I think I might subscribe to it. From the looks of it they talk about stuff that's right up my alley.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Ignatz wrote:

That is all that can be said about this show. Laughing

I'd rather have shows that are actually good "because they're good", as opposed to shows that have to be "watched ironically" in order to be tolerated. Anything can be "watched ironically" if you try hard enough but no matter how you squint at it you can't make a bad show genuinely (ie:not "so bad it becomes good") good.

Remember when Megan Fox likened Pacific Rim to Gundam Wing? As crazy as that was, it was much closer to being true than "Samurai Flamenco was a bona fide homage to super sentai". As much as I dislike Pacific Rim, it was better than Flamenco.

I feel for the Japanese and non-Japanese otaku who bought the discs for this show.
therau05

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Carl, SIT DOWN.

SIT DOWN.

But yeah, you pretty much hit the nail on the head about SamFlam.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3