• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Samurai Flamenco Episodes 11-22 Streaming

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ignatz

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 3:17 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Ignatz wrote:
Samurai Flamenco is so bad that it's good.

Based on what the guy said in that video, I have to disagree. Samurai Flamenco's faults were due to trolling, i.e. deliberate and purposeful. Whereas the best (read: most entertaining) "nanar" are the result of the creators' ignorance of their own incompetence.

Yeah, I know. I just wanted people to see the video about how true "nanar" are made. Still, I enjoyed Samurai Flamenco (I guess the same way people enjoyed Sharknado), so at least for me it qualifies as a "so bad it's good" anime. Smile

dtm42 wrote:
But thanks for linking to that interesting channel, I think I might subscribe to it. From the looks of it they talk about stuff that's right up my alley.

The guy talks about very simple topics, but likes to thoroughly analyse them (sometimes to the point I don't even understand what he's talking about) in a surprisingly entertaining way. I definitely recommend watching more of his videos.
scineram

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 6:25 am Reply with quote
Well, that's seems completely wrong. It's a thoroughly superficial analysis, like something I would have written. Not to say it's flawless at all, but it's really the case of the creators being smarter than most of us viewers. I would highly recommend some other reviewer who actually gets the show, like E Minor.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 9:29 am Reply with quote
Nearly everything after ep 6 was hell on earth and frankly boring.
I mostly disliked how nothing got resolved how messy the art got.
I left the anime with more question about plot and characterization than most tv shows i have seen. Can´t recommend it but at least it was watchable and halfway original. I would though like my time back. 5/10 The reviewer is spot on.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Waffitti

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 1:37 pm Reply with quote
Samumenco at times felt like the writer wanted to do a...tribute? (this word fits in nicely) to tokusatsu and just hit dead end after dead end at the planning stages and just decided to do a bunch of tokusatsu variations instead of just being stuck trying to get more material from the original setting.

I liked it, I guess being a toku fan probably makes it more enjoyable; it's still pretty fun, and I can't really think of another anime whose climax involves spoiler[The protagonist being naked] as much as this one.
Morning Blue

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 4:14 pm Reply with quote
scineram wrote:

I agree with some of his points, but saying that a superhero series needs to be dark to be interesting is not one of them. Same with just inserting something for the purpose of making it more interesting. Yes adding in aliens did make the show "interesting", but interesting is not the same as good. (That's like saying adding a CG character like Jar Jar Binks into Star Wars Episode I made the movie more interesting.) Hell, I thought they were already overdoing it when Mari and the idol girls became superheroines.

I also absolutely hate the Christopher Nolan Batman movies in terms of writing for sucking out all of the fun and creativity of the original source material (something Spiderman and most of the Marvel Cinematic Universe movies were able to keep intact, even at their darkest), but that's just me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3