• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Thoughts on Dark Horse's omnibus manga?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 3:20 pm Reply with quote
I wanted some people's thoughts on Dark Horse's omnibus titles

Or towards the Clamp titles, since I'm looking into Legal Drug

I look at the page count, it's at 528 for Legal Drug...and paperback.

I'm sort of thinking they're just cheapening out, by not giving such a high page count a hardback (because I do NOT see the spines holding up well) or expecting people that are collectors to get 2 copies (1 for reading and 1 for collecting)
st_owly

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 3:36 pm Reply with quote
I have the CCS, Clover and Angelic Layer ones. They're all paperback. CCS and Clover are A5 size, and they're printed on very nice glossy paper with a /lot/ of colour pages. You need to be a bit careful with the spines, but I've managed to read mine without breaking them. The AL ones are more like a Viz 2 in 1, the paper isn't glossy and there aren't as many colour pages. They're still nice though.

If you're really bothered. Amazon still has the original TP volumes pretty cheap.
Touma

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 3:37 pm Reply with quote
I have Angelic Layer, Cardcaptor Sakura, Chobits, and Clover.
I have no complaints about any of them. They all have nice color pages and good, clear printing.
I do think that the paper in Angelic Layer and Chobits is not as good as the others, but it is still not bad. It is pretty much what I have come to expect from most manga. I think that it is a bit better than the paper in the Tokyopop volumes.

I have read each volume one time so far and there has not been any damage to any of the spines.

Disclaimer: I am not a collector.
I buy the books just to have them here to read whenever I feel like doing so.

Last edited by Touma on Sat May 03, 2014 3:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 3:47 pm Reply with quote
st_owly wrote:
I have the CCS, Clover and Angelic Layer ones. They're all paperback. CCS and Clover are A5 size, and they're printed on very nice glossy paper with a /lot/ of colour pages. You need to be a bit careful with the spines, but I've managed to read mine without breaking them. The AL ones are more like a Viz 2 in 1, the paper isn't glossy and there aren't as many colour pages. They're still nice though.

If you're really bothered. Amazon still has the original TP volumes pretty cheap.

I thought I have the TP editions on my shelf, guess I got rid of them for whatever reason, so I might re-buy them again...3 is a bit harder to find...or maybe that used book store has them

I just questioning why they print a paperback so large, it just doesn't make any since
Dessa

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 3:50 pm Reply with quote
I don't have experience with DH's books, but I do have YP's Uraboku releases. While early omnibus (I think some of DH's might be in this group) do have a bit of problems with the glue on the binding not holding up, newer omnibus seem to not have no problems holding up.
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 4:06 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
I don't have experience with DH's books, but I do have YP's Uraboku releases. While early omnibus (I think some of DH's might be in this group) do have a bit of problems with the glue on the binding not holding up, newer omnibus seem to not have no problems holding up.

I only have Betrayal Knows my Name from YP, those don't seem too large, it's just 2 volumes together

Does YP print larger then BKmN books?
st_owly

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 4:13 pm Reply with quote
I think Uraboku and CCS/Clover are the same size. My copies of Uraboku are at my parents' though so I can't check.
zawa113

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 4:57 pm Reply with quote
I have the Lone Wolf & Cub ones. I think that with standard precautions, it's not a problem.

I have Yen's omnibus for Another, which is a whopping 4 volumes shoved into one, had no problems with that either. Probably because that book was oversized to accommodate it. Lone Wolf is a standard manga size, which is actually an upgrade for it, but I don't recall anything annoyingly close to the spine or anything o what I've read of them.

Viz's 3-in-1s have had no spine problems for me. But this is in part because they are printed on cheaper, thinner paper, so it's not like it equals 3 volumes in space. As a result though, it seems there's not much pressure on the spine given it's standard volume sized pages, so it was a wise decision.

Sometimes though, I fear for Vertical's. Sakuran's spine snapped on me during my first read of it and I'm generally a careful sort. Never happened before or since and that thing was maybe 300 pages. They said they wouldn't use that printer again. Their other ones are much better in that I've not snapped any of them, but I do feel like they're the most likely to snap. And I will not have my Buddha or Twin Spica volumes look bad!

So for right now, I probably say Yen has the best omnibus spines, Seven Seas, Viz, and Dark Horse are mid tier, and Vertical could probably stand to implement more changes. And I'm not counting hardcover omnibus spines here at all. Only paperback spines. Or Kodansha's as I don't have any of their paperback omnis. Though my Mushishi omni I am quite careful with, that one was meh.

I just wish more people would emulate CMX's singles, I think they had some of the best. The paper was thin and the books could be read easily, but it was sturdy and never see through like Tokyopop's horrid paper experiment. Also, I could fit more books on the shelf since they were slimmer. And the covers and spines all felt real nice too. Oddly enough in terms of singles, I like Vertical's a lot and tend to dislike Yen's, which I thing has the most bending potential. Part of this is probably their smaller book size, but even on larger ones like Twin Spica's first volumes or Tropic of the Sea I like them. I don't know why I don't think this translates well to omnis, I have no clue.
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 5:30 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
And I'm not counting hardcover omnibus spines here at all.

There are hardcover omnibus? I know the Attack on Titan one is coming out, but that's the only 1 I know of
st_owly

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Vata Raven wrote:
classicalzawa wrote:

There are hardcover omnibus? I know the Attack on Titan one is coming out, but that's the only 1 I know of

The Highschool of the Dead Colour editions are hardcover omnibuses as well. Hardcover releases are generally quite rare, even for single volumes, because they're so expensive. The only ones I can think of off the top of my head which haven't already been mentioned are A Bride's Story, Anything and Something, the random volume 1 "collector's edition" of a few Shonen Jump series. TP also released a few back in the day. My copy of Shirahame-Syo is hardcover, and I know they did a hardcover of volume 1 of Doll by Mitsukazu Mihara.
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 6:09 pm Reply with quote
Well, thanks for all the replies

I think I'll get the singles (found some on ebay for $12 for all 3, in nice condition) I wasn't expect new, they're OOP

Mostly will get 2 copies of Dark Horse's edition, to be safe. Since legal Drug, and Drug & Drop are the only CLAMP titles I like, no big issues on my end

Though, Drug & Drop, mostly 1 copy since I can be more careful with smaller books
Dessa

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 6:10 pm Reply with quote
The Fruits Basket 3-in-1 omnibus are also hardcover, I have a couple volumes.
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 6:26 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
The Fruits Basket 3-in-1 omnibus are also hardcover, I have a couple volumes.

I'm surprised Viz hasn't picked that series up again...or anyone on that matter
zawa113

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 8:34 pm Reply with quote
I have Vinland Saga and Battle Royale omnibuses. There's also Message to Adolf, Ayako, some other Tezuka ones so yeah, they're not common, but they do exist. If the inner spine on that one gets a bit out of whack, you can't tell with the hard cover on it at least.
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 10:02 am Reply with quote
Vata Raven wrote:
classicalzawa wrote:

Viz reprinted Uzumaki as a one volume hardcover last year and it's very nice. They also did Nausicaa, but while it looks nice on a shelf it's way too heavy for comfortable reading. And the recent Yen edition of Wolf Children is a nice cloth-bound hardcover.

As for the orignal question, Angelic Layers is short enough that there's no problem with spine creasing unless you badly mishandle the book, however the Chobits omnibuses are ridiculously oversized, almost like a George R.R. Martin novel. But my biggest complaint about them is that DH redesigned their spine layout between volumes, so the first one has a little Dark Horse logo on the top, while the second has it as a banner across the bottom.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2