• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Was the three-year-old raped in Puni Puni Poemy? (spoilers)

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DrizzlingEnthalpy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 11:23 pm Reply with quote
I just watched Puni Puni Poemy recently and thought it was overall extremely hilarious (I love insane shows like FLCL, Excel Saga and Bo-bobo), but one thing disturbed me and kind of ruined it somewhat for me. In the second episode when everyone is on the aliens' spaceship, it appears that everyone except Poemy is getting groped and possibly raped, though it doesn't show anything except the characters' screaming/moaning faces against suggestive, live-action, semi-irrelevant backgrounds. I know it was supposed to be funny, but it seemed really disturbing as well. Not in the FUNNY disturbing way like if a dancing puffball is drowning in his own blood spewing from his anus, but in a way that was so disturbing that it made me almost not like the show. I suppose it didn't really bother me so much, as it seemed like they may just be getting fondled which seems to be quite the status quo in anime, until it showed the three-year-old girl's crying face, along with a phallic picture of some dangly meat thing, which appeared to insinuate that she was being raped. Actually making a passing joke with a child being molested, then having Poemy say "That scene was really satisfying even if most of it was left to the imagination" seems like the sickest possible thing you could do.

Tell me please that I misinterpreted that. If not, although it's quite a hilarious show, I still feel like I need to bleach it from my mind.

EDIT: This is my post number 69. Coincidence?

Last edited by DrizzlingEnthalpy on Sat Sep 30, 2006 11:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Wolverine Princess

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 11:37 pm Reply with quote
Yes, it is implied that Hitomi spoiler[was raped.] Wasn't she two years old and not three, though? I don't quite remember.

The R1 DVD does say "If this anime doesn't offend you, we haven't done our job," in the description on the back, so you can't say you weren't warned. I guess I'm just numb to it, since I loved Poemy to pieces and didn't find anything particularly offensive about it. My sister left the room to throw up when spoiler[the aliens with the puffball penises stuck their "balls" in each other's mouths and chanted, "stinky stinky."]

(And by the way, you should edit your post to include spoiler tags.)
DrizzlingEnthalpy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 11:43 pm Reply with quote
Wolverine Princess wrote:
Yes, it is implied that Hitomi spoiler[was raped.] Wasn't she two years old and not three, though? I don't quite remember.

The R1 DVD does say "If this anime doesn't offend you, we haven't done our job," in the description on the back, so you can't say you weren't warned. I guess I'm just numb to it, since I loved Poemy to pieces and didn't find anything particularly offensive about it. My sister left the room to throw up when spoiler[the aliens with the puffball penises stuck their "balls" in each other's mouths and chanted, "stinky stinky."]

(And by the way, you should edit your post to include spoiler tags.)

I changed the title of the post since the whole thing is basically one big spoiler.

As for the offensiveness issue... South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut was offensive and hilarious. The "stinky stinky" thing was offensive and hilarious. I just don't see how a three-year-old (I'm pretty sure she was three) getting raped could be funny in the least. Maybe it's just because I have a younger relative who was raped when she was four or so and I'm "too close" to the subject matter.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 12:03 am Reply with quote
My question spoiler[is who was raping them?]
Cloe

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 12:29 am Reply with quote
This is the very same reason I dislike Puni Puni Poemy. That joke was incredibly tasteless and what made it worse was that someone else who was watching it with me (this was at a college anime club, about 4 years ago), began to cry and left the room, as she had been molested when she was a child and couldn't believe anyone would make a joke out of that.

If people watch loli for stimulation I could really care less; it's none of my business. But when underage molestation is made into a big joke, laughing is the last thing on my mind.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 12:35 am Reply with quote
To be honest, the whole anime itself was not funny to me. The only thing that made me laugh was in the commentary where they were showing some of the background jokes spoiler[like the prince and the princess that were f***ing behind the tree and the lady was yelling, "Slap my ass!!"] But honestly, Poemi was one of the biggest nuisances I've seen in the history of my watching anime. And you can refer to my anime to see my comments on this poor attempt of a parody.
ironwarrior

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 1:00 am Reply with quote
Sounds like the type of anime I'd like with one caveat: Is the animation quality any good? I'll watch anything as long as the animation quality isn't crude and second-rate.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 1:16 am Reply with quote
ironwarrior wrote:
Sounds like the type of anime I'd like with one caveat: Is the animation quality any good? I'll watch anything as long as the animation quality isn't crude and second-rate.

It's the same as Excel Saga saga, and was made within the past two-three years, so yeah it's good.
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 1:40 am Reply with quote
Wolverine Princess wrote:
Wasn't she two years old and not three, though? I don't quite remember.

She's three years old.

Cloe wrote:
If people watch loli for stimulation I could really care less; it's none of my business. But when underage molestation is made into a big joke, laughing is the last thing on my mind.

Hitomi is not loli. She would fall into the realm of toddlercon.

DrizzlingEnthalpy wrote:
along with a phallic picture of some dangly meat thing

That was crab meat.

fighterholic wrote:
My question spoiler[is who was raping them?]

I'm pretty sure it was the aliens. spoiler[Which would mean the director of the show raped a three year.]

About the joke, meh, probably not the best idea to put in the show. Shows make jokes out of killing all the time. Frankly, I don't see how killing someone is any worse than underage rape (actually, I'd be willing to argue that it's worse, we're just desensitized to it, so we don't think about it that much).

Last edited by PantsGoblin on Sun Oct 01, 2006 1:47 am; edited 4 times in total
Lapis Lazuli Lolita

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 1:42 am Reply with quote
Read the back of the Puni Puni Poemy DVD case.

It says something along the lines of "If this anime doesn't offend you in some way, then we aren't doing our job!" And honestly, looking at what kind of show Puni Puni Poemy is, were you expecting something less? It's like (episode 26 of Excel Saga)^2.
SnowfairyX

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 1:45 am Reply with quote
I skimmed over this anime a long time ago and thought it was pretty hilarious. I think it was all the more funny because I was fairly new to anime back then and because I also managed to catch some of the magical girl references that were parodied, such as Cardcaptor Sakura Wink. For some reason, I didn't think its parent, Excel Saga, was nearly as funny, at least from the first few episodes that I've seen before I got a bit tired of it. Still, I plan to finish it someday so that I can eventually finish watching the OVA spin-off seriously.

Now about the OVA. I was barely able to keep up with the subs and only skimmed little bits and portions of it so I didn't really catch the part where a 3-year-old was possibly raped. I imagine I wouldn't find that funny either but I'm curious as to know if anyone did. Most often, I don't particularly care for this particular type of crude humor but I think this OVA just went so completely over-the-top that it actually managed to work for me. Bokusatsu Tenshi Dokuro-chan is another similar series that I happened to find hilarious. Obviously, neither of these series should be watched by people who are easily offended.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 1:46 am Reply with quote
PantsGoblin wrote:
Hitomi is not loli. She would fall into the realm of toddlercon.

Toddlercon is a subset of lolicon though, so its still loli.

PantsGoblin wrote:
About the joke, meh, probably not the best idea to put in the show. Shows make jokes out of killing all the time, frankly, I don't see how this is any worse.

Well, when you get killed, your suffering ends. When you are raped (and not killed) you live with the memories of the experience for the rest of your life. So it's worse in the sense that the victim doesn't just suffer for a moment, but for a long time after.
Lapis Lazuli Lolita

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 1:52 am Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
Toddlercon is a subset of lolicon though, so its still loli.

Well, when you get killed, your suffering ends. When you are raped (and not killed) you live with the memories of the experience for the rest of your life. So it's worse in the sense that the victim doesn't just suffer for a moment, but for a long time after.

Toddlercon is incredibly repulsive, even to many members of lolicon communities. While gathering them together is perfectly sound, it's not exactly fair. However, that's not the point of this.

There is plenty of underage rape in PPP from what I can recall, but I don't recall ever feeling the urge to curl up and die when the implied tentacle alien rape happens. I was so into KOBAYASHI WANTING TO BE A VOICE ACTRESS that it didn't even occur to me that some little girl in a family of sexual deviants was going to be scarred for life by K-rape. It's simply not a focus of the show. Anime is not real life, so worrying about the psychological effects of anime rape is really pointless.

Real-life rape is flat-out terrible on so many levels. It ruins lives. These animated, non-real lives aren't going to be ruined by it.
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 2:01 am Reply with quote
Quote:

I suppose that could make sense. If I were to expand though, I would also be able to include torture, beating people up, other forms of rape, etc. which I can find numerous example of in comedies.

The main thing people have against this though, is innocence. Children are innocent. Which I guess I'll go with. It all really comes down to morals though for what you find worse.

Lapis Lazuli Lolita wrote:
Toddlercon is incredibly repulsive, even to many members of lolicon communities.

Which would include me, and is the reason I don't like to group them together. I suppose they're both technically loli though. Just like many members of the anime community don't like anime to be labeled as loli, I don't like loli to be labeled as toddlercon.
Jadress

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 2:20 am Reply with quote
Cloe wrote:
This is the very same reason I dislike Puni Puni Poemy. That joke was incredibly tasteless and what made it worse was that someone else who was watching it with me (this was at a college anime club, about 4 years ago), began to cry and left the room, as she had been molested when she was a child and couldn't believe anyone would make a joke out of that.

Wow, that's some pretty disturbing stuff. I'm glad I saw this thread so I know to avoid this anime. I am a fan of offensive humor, but I guess I just don't find anything funny about rape/molestation jokes..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5