• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Disney XD to Run Doraemon Anime in U.S. This Summer

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jave

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 1:00 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
It's a children's show in Japan, so there's no reason for it to be on Adult Swim.

Tell that to Naruto.. and One Piece.. and Soul Eater.. and Blue Exorcist.. and Fullmetal Alchemist Laughing

Gotta sya this is unexpected. Guessin' the Shizuka fanservice will be nixed. Kinda pointless change of Nobita to Noby. It's only one less syllable Laughing
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 1:22 am Reply with quote
aoi yuuki fanboy wrote:
whats to censor??

Image NSFW and this pretty covers the entire anime up until now.

http://pbs.twimg.com/media/BECYmGJCUAAlbBY.jpg:large
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Veniamin

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 1:29 am Reply with quote
FINAAAAAALLLY.

I DON'T HAVE TO SUFFER EXPECTING SUBS!

Also, does anyone think that"Big G"sounds like a pretty cool nickname?

It sounds like those stereotypical bully name from like Animaniacs or Looney Tunes.
hojo 360

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 1:41 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
hojo:
Quote:
kids in Japan are use to seeing nude kids in the bath in what not but in the usa yea no.

No one's complained about it in Totoro so far. But if the Japanese choose to edit it for our standards, then that's their problem. They clearly don't need the money, so, again, it probably comes down to being able to brag that Doraemon is also "popular in America with Disney fans".
Yea but that was a film and there was no way they were going to bring a film out and chop it up. Some of the stuff with Shizuka is a bit less innocent with Nobita trying to peep in such and him blushing. Not saying it's bad but lol we are talking about the USA here i mean look at DBZ kai need i say more?

Last edited by hojo 360 on Fri May 09, 2014 1:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Pokenatic

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 1:41 am Reply with quote
Wait... what?

This certainly came out of left field.

Watch as Doraemon lasts just as long as the Stitch anime did. Razz
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 1:59 am Reply with quote
Well this is...interesting news...I can only imagine how well this would do here given the times but oh well. This'll probably be the first time in years I will have ever paid attention to a dub for a kid's anime...
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 2:03 am Reply with quote
Jave:
Quote:
Tell that to Naruto.. and One Piece.. and Soul Eater.. and Blue Exorcist.. and Fullmetal Alchemist

Those are action shows which appeal to children, not specifically children's shows. They're more like shows specifically targeting tweens, while Doraemon is more like the Japanese equivalent of The Magic School Bus.
Hagaren Viper

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 2:17 am Reply with quote
CastMember1991 wrote:
Which voice actor?

Brian Beacock of Digimon and Danganronpa fame. He mentions Doraemon about 20 minutes in if you are interested.

http://918thefan.com/2014/kanas-korner-interview-with-brian-beacock-2/
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 2:36 am Reply with quote
Also, I wonder if that Johnny Depp episode will make it here. Anyway, for those missing the inevitable replaced theme song, it fits better here. Rolling Eyes

Last edited by GATSU on Fri May 09, 2014 3:09 am; edited 1 time in total
bigivel

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 3:07 am Reply with quote
Jave wrote:
GATSU wrote:
It's a children's show in Japan, so there's no reason for it to be on Adult Swim.

Tell that to Naruto.. and One Piece.. and Soul Eater.. and Blue Exorcist.. and Fullmetal Alchemist Laughing

Naruto, One Piece are from Weekly Shonen Jump Magazine, Blue Exorcist from Jump Square Magazine(the substitution to Monthly Shonen Jump), Soul Eater and Fullmetal Alchemist from Shonen Gangan Magazine. They are all "Shonen" magazines, meaning that their main target audience is teens from 13-18 years.

Doraemon is from Tentou Mushi Magazine and later spin-offs in CoroCoro Comic Magazine. They are both "Kodomo" Magazines, meaning that their main target audience is kids from elementary school, from 6 to 12 years.
Here is CoroCoro Magazine wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CoroCoro_Comic.
Look at the quote
Quote:
Its main target is elementary school aged boys, younger than the readers of shōnen manga.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 3:30 am Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
Yeah it's a terrible move, it would've done nicely on Adult Swim with a few edits.

No, it wouldn't. It's sober. And a comedy. Rolling Eyes

But if it's the new '13 reboot, it's improved a bit since the original 70's-80's version, and would do as well on Disney as their English dub of the anime "Stitch!"
The segments are now in 15-minute "episode" format, and play down much of Nobita's (often suspect) wimpiness in favor his learning not to be so lazy and irresponsible.
(And Shizuka takes her baths offscreen.)

With the right dub, I can see the Sofia, Jake & Doc crowd getting hooked, and even though the houses are in Tokyo suburbs, there's very little of Japanese cultural content to confuse them.
If anything, the fact that there's a children's show on cable that doesn't fourth-wall talk to the audience would probably confuse them more. Wink

Kicksville wrote:
I wonder if Doraemon being their 2020 Olympics ambassador had anything to do with this.

...Mmm-mm, COULD be!

Doraemon's been getting more of a push in the Olympic rush than Tokyo has, and Viz probably sold Disney on the idea that they were getting a show about an Olympic mascot. That, they'd have bought.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 5:52 am Reply with quote
After nearly 41 years the blue robot cat finally leaves Japanese shores? Great news for the Doraemon committee. I get why Disney is doing this though, but I smell a deal to get something else more lucrative and had to eat this to get it. Just me being my usual pessimist self. Wink However I question putting it on Anime hyper as isn't that channel suppose to be for teens and young adults? this is more the preschool to tween crowds.

Last edited by Mohawk52 on Fri May 09, 2014 7:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Mister Ryan Andrews

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 5:58 am Reply with quote
Well, there's no way this is going to end anyway but badly. May as well have Nickelodoen air Detective Conan while we're at it

bigivel wrote:
They are all "Shonen" magazines, meaning that their main target audience is teens from 13-18 years.

I'm not sure what warped definition you're using for shounen but the word specifically refers to pre-teen boys. Hardly some 13+ definition.

The argument that 'these aren't for kids because they're kodomo series' is ignorant because it hinges on the misconception that the two terms are mutually exclusive. The thing is both shounen and kodomo are for children. It's like trying to differentiate between toddler and prepubescent. You can make a case for the differences and technicalities, but at the end of the day they're both children. People can argue cross demographics and appeal all they want, but it doesn't change the fact these anime specific mention they're for children all the time in the shows themselves and all the merchandise and promotional stuff they get are for kids.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 6:39 am Reply with quote
Mohawk: Technically, Doraemon left Japanese shores a long time ago, since it has been broadcast in Asian countries.

Mister: Well, yes, in Japan, the SJ merch does sell to the same children as the Doraemon merch. But the difference is that Doraemon is specifically written for a children's audience, while a title like One Piece is written for a 13-18+ audience.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 7:02 am Reply with quote
Hagaren Viper wrote:

I'll be sure to check this out though. I wonder who will be the lucky person to voice Doremon himself.

Gotta be Jean Reno! Laughing

Anyways, not like many of us watch this originally, so we don't have to pretend now we care. Razz
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9