• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Disney XD to Run Doraemon Anime in U.S. This Summer

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Doraemon's always felt like it's just a little to late to bring it over here and have it find an audience. It'd be like trying to introduce Speed Racer now, unlike forever ago when Doraemon was broadcast in France and aboard, before other electronic distractions came around. Maybe it'll find some kind of audience, but I'll bet against any kind of momentum beyond that.
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 4:25 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Doraemon's always felt like it's just a little to late to bring it over here and have it find an audience. It'd be like trying to introduce Speed Racer now, unlike forever ago when Doraemon was broadcast in France and aboard, before other electronic distractions came around. Maybe it'll find some kind of audience, but I'll bet against any kind of momentum beyond that.

This is the 2005 series though. If it were the 1979 adaptation, that would have been too much trouble.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 4:30 pm Reply with quote
I don't think it really matters it's...still almost a decade old, there's no cultural foothold in America for it. Even most American anime fans go out of their way to not watch the long never-ending strictly for young children shows. They may have some fans, but it's a small number.

And yes, to previous posters, even if they're all technically children, there's a very clear differentiation between programming for toddlers, those 4-6, 7-9, 10-12, etc.

Last edited by walw6pK4Alo on Fri May 09, 2014 4:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 4:32 pm Reply with quote
True. Still, this is a big risk for the rightsholders, especially for Fujiko Pro, Viz Media, and Disney. Who knows? It might beat your and my expectations and become a hit. Maybe I'm too optimistic, but we'll have to wait and see.

And you may remember how this wasn't the first attempt to bring Doraemon to the States. Ted Turner bought the rights to air 50 episodes of the 1979 show, and planned to air them on what is now TBS (veryfunny) that same year. But, as you would have guessed, it got cancelled without explanation before it even aired.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Chibi:
Quote:
If anyone needs context for this image (provided I'm not misremembering), this episode deals with a gun that if you shoot yourself in the head, it'll either give you good or bad luck. Think of it like Russian Roulette, just without the death part.

Considering the gun nut Neanderthals we got running around, I think that scene will play fine in the South. Or at least at NRA meetings. Rolling Eyes

Jave: I hate furries, anyway, so who cares?
bigivel

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 5:17 pm Reply with quote
Mister Ryan Andrews wrote:

bigivel wrote:
And yes Shonen is for people 13-18

I'm just curious, what source are you using for this claim? Toei lists the show under their children's section on their website, just for the record. Seems a bit silly to argue with Toei themselves about this.

In all seriousness, you seem to be going though a lot of hoops to try to tell people the show you like isn't a children's show. It's not something to be embarrassed or ashamed about. There's nothing wrong with enjoying children's anime. Most anime out there is aimed at kids, from Gundam to Magi. It's not something to make a big deal out of.

I'm don't really care about what kind of show it is. If I enjoy it I watch it and I tell other people that I watch and enjoy it. I watch stuff like Precure that is totally for girls and Doraemon that is for kids.
Now, think a little. Who is the source here, Shueisha or Toei? Shueisha.
Does anime have the same demographics divisions has manga? No, A Shonen Manga isn't a Shonen Anime. It doesn't exist such a thing as a Shonen Anime, in the anime industry. Even though is a useful term because by saying that a person is automatically saying that is a manga adaptation and that the manga is shonen. The problem comes when in an Original anime people try to find if it is Shonen, Shoujo or other thing.
Manga divides their magazines mainly by(but not only): Kodomo, Shonen, Shoujo, Seinen, Josei.
Anime divides their anime by time Slots: Morning hours -> Kids(I don't really know, but when they call Kids are they only talking of elementary kids here? Mainly elementary kids watch anime in the morning in Japan? In my country, Portugal, that is true(Anime and any other kind of comics), but is Japan ,the country of anime, the same?), Evening hours -> Family, Night hours -> Adults and Teenagers(but we all know that right now is manly Otakus). And by programming blocks: Noitamina(Silver Spoon/Ping Pong, Samurai Flamenco/Nanana) -> mainly targeted to young male and female audiences(Now this is at night so I would say that the young is teenagers), Dream9(One Piece and Toriko/Dragon Ball Kai), Detective hour(Space Brothers/Kindaichi and Detective Conan) and others.

Do you see, the two media are totally different and qualify their demographic in a totally different manner.
One Piece airs Saturday morning in the Dream9 group. Because of that is a Child show. Before 2004 One Piece was airing at 19:30h so it was a Family show. Note that nothing really changed about the show, not in the content that was made in the manga(source material) nor in the manner Toei adapted the manga to anime. It was a TV Station decision, Fuji TV.
Examples:
Doraemon airs in a Family time Slot in Japan, Friday 19h00. So I think we shouldn't call it a child show then, even when all the material comes from the manga or derivatives from it, manga that was made totally to kids.
Naruto airs in a Family time Slot in Japan, Thursday 19h30. It is made in the same Magazine that One Piece and the material is similar. Supernatural action manga with a lot of battles and stuff. Unless the people that say that Naruto is more mature than One Piece is in fact right, than it should be in the morning as well, just like One Piece.
Crayon Shin-Chan is a Seinen(Young Adult) manga, but is shown in a Family time slot.
Silver Spoon is from the rival Shonen Magazine of Weekly Shonen Jump(One Piece, Naruto, Bleach, Toriko, ...), Shonen Sunday, and is just a slice of Life series about farming(There is nothing "mature" about it. Not even ecchi), but aired at 24h45/24h50. An "Otaku" time slot.
Attack on Titan is from a Shonen Magazine as well, Bessatsu Shonen Magazine, but it aired at 25h15. So, is AoT for kids or for adults?
Hunter x Hunter aired in a Kids time-slot 10:55h Sunday, and later changed to a "Otaku" hour, 1h29 Wednesday. Did something changed? Nothing the production was the exactly the same. It changed probably because of complains of parents about the violence of the arc where it was, but that same violence was showed in a child time slot for more than 20 episodes/20 weeks/5 months.

In the end we can be talking of demographic by TV Stations standards, that are really flexible, dynamic and complex. By doing that we have to talk about anime time slot and programming Blocks. Or we can be talking of demographic by Manga standards, that are more static(even though not totally static, sometimes some titles change Magazine and even demographics)and simple. By doing that we have to talk about Shonen, Kodomo, ...
Better we can talk about the source material, unless if the adaptation changes things in such a manner that is more like an alternate work than an "adaptation".

Talking by the best options(normally source material unless the adaptation is more like an alternate work), we have One Piece that is Shonen and the adaptation follows closely the manga, so I would keep with the idea of it being mainly for 13-18.
Doraemon is Kodomo and I believe that the adaptation follows closely the manga(for what I read of the manga, and for what I watched of the show, is basically the same thing. I even read chapters where I had already watched the episodes.) so I would keep with the idea of it being mainly for kids -12.

P.S: Maybe the reason why 4kids thought that One Piece was for kids(elementary grade school) was because at the time they licensed it, it was showing at a morning time slot focused at kids. Or maybe 4kids never knew nothing about what they were doing.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 5:35 pm Reply with quote
CastMember1991 wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

This is the 2005 series though. If it were the 1979 adaptation, that would have been too much trouble.

Way too much--The 00's series has the iconic look, and a more smooth episode format (more plots than five-minute gadget of the week), but most 70's anime will always look like it was drawn in crayon.

Mohawk52 wrote:
Yeah, that'll pass by the censors', no problem. Laughing

I suspect that'll go the way of the Sailor Moon episode where Usagi dressed older to sneak in and hear a singer at a "grown-up" nightclub, but no harm done to the series.
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Guile wrote:
While I have always found it disappointing when companies whitewash products from Japan like this, I feel it's especially disappointing when we're talking about Doraemon. Doraemon is perhaps Japan's most prolific cultural icon. It would be the perfect show to use as a starting point to introduce younger kids to other cultures that exist in the world. If American children can have shows such as Dora the Explorer and Ni Hao Kai-lan, I do not see why anime can not retain it's Japanese heritage.

In Japan they seem to have no problem with American cartoons. My Little Pony was recently cancelled in Japan and Nickelodeon's Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles started airing there. All the names are kept and the American culture of the show is perfectly intact and they did not try to trick children into thinking it's set in a Japanese city. Doraemon could have been the perfect ambassador for teaching Japanese culture to children in America.

Actually Japan would snip down MLP episodes to make room for the live action segment. So they're guilty of messing with/altering content as well.

But yeah, I'm sure the English dub of Doreamon will be fine over all.
Lavnovice9

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Soundmonkey44 wrote:
Actually Japan would snip down MLP episodes to make room for the live action segment. So they're guilty of messing with/altering content as well.

Snipping some scenes for time is not comparable to scrubbing out race and removing any reference to foreign culture. Japan very rarely does anything like that with foreign cartoon and video games, but in the Americas it's common practice.
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 7:00 pm Reply with quote
Lavnovice9 wrote:
Soundmonkey44 wrote:

Snipping some scenes for time is not comparable to scrubbing out race and removing any reference to foreign culture. Japan very rarely does anything like that with foreign cartoon and video games, but in the Americas it's common practice.

Japan did this before BTW in video game:

Police Quest 2 as one example, look at the picture:

Also the same happen to Maniac Mansion when it came to Japan, I'll quote:

Hardcore Gaming 101 wrote:
t's possible that Japanese players might just give up before they even start. It's interesting how this is the sort of puzzle that might be more difficult due to cultural divides. There are other bits of localization that make the FC version more palatable - the dime becomes a 100 yen coin, and the Three Guys Who Publish Anything apparently have an address in Tokyo.

Also Japan pull a 4kid-style alteration on Beast War. So that's no better how anime get edited in the US.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lavnovice9

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 7:42 pm Reply with quote
As I said Japan very rarely do it. The fact you are naming examples from 20 years ago shows how much you have to dig around to find examples of it. Japan does not do it anywhere near to the extent America does. Those are isolated cases where as in America it is the standard practice to shelter children from the evil influences of foreign cultures.
Jave

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 7:52 pm Reply with quote
Yeah it's pretty unheard of in Japan for them to do that kind of stuff. They generally keep things the same culture-wise. Would be nice if there was less localization in anime in the west.

I watched a few episodes of TMNT in Japanese for kicks. Think I like those voices better since they sound more like teenagers Laughing The 4Kids series performed poorly when it aired in Japan back in the day, maybe this new cartoon will do better?
Lycosyncer

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 8:05 pm Reply with quote
Doraemon showing on Disney Anime hyper in North America? Odd choice if you ask me and I wonder how this series will go through the American censors.
L'Imperatore

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Woah, 6 pages of "discussion", and I doubt any of us would even bother to watch the 1st ep.
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 8:12 pm Reply with quote
Lycosyncer wrote:
Doraemon showing on Disney Anime hyper in North America? Odd choice if you ask me and I wonder how this series will go through the American censors.

Trust me, Doraemon is in good hands.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9