• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 12:15 pm Reply with quote

Great animation for the OP and ED as usual, but I find the songs rather forgettable. Even with the usual Kalafina closer for Ufotable productions, the melodies aren't as catchy as previous works.

For anyone who still remembers the last episode from the previous half, this sees the tables turned on Rin. As to why Archer has chosen his particular course of action, all that should be made clear in a few weeks time. Interestingly enough, he's worked out who Caster is so she's now carrying a time bomb as an ally.

A few original scenes which I don't remember from the source material, but the final one under the stars is straight out from one of the more memorable illustrations of this arc. Leaving the relationship between those two aside, one telling hint regarding Archer's identity has now been given for anyone not familiar with the game.

Seeing this series pick up where it left off, it might help viewers to refresh their memory by rewatching the last few episodes of the last half as well as the long 48 minute starters.

Last edited by Harleyquin on Sun Apr 05, 2015 2:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Dessa

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:35 am Reply with quote
Episode 13, you mean?
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 2:09 am Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
Episode 13, you mean?

Fixed in original post, thanks for pointing out the error.
Dessa

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:52 am Reply with quote
Harleyquin wrote:
Dessa wrote:
Episode 13, you mean?

Fixed in original post, thanks for pointing out the error.

^u^
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:57 am Reply with quote
Anybody who can't see from a mile off that spoiler[Archer is only pretending to betray Rin for Caster] is probably destined to be run over a bus they are waiting for. Which seems of course to include Rin and Shiro. Not to mention spoiler[Caster].
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 2:59 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
Anybody who can't see from a mile off that spoiler[Archer is only pretending to betray Rin for Caster] is probably destined to be run over a bus they are waiting for. Which seems of course to include Rin and Shiro. Not to mention spoiler[Caster].

You can't call something "sneaky" if everyone can see through what you're doing, and that's all I'll say on the subject for now.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:32 am Reply with quote
Season 2, episode 2:

That was interesting regarding spoiler[Caster and her background story. More of a buildup episode again but one of my favorite characters made his move so it should be interesting to see where it goes from here; when he takes the fight against Berserker soon of course based on the events of this episode.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dessa

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 1:07 pm Reply with quote
So happy people are getting to see this episode and spoiler[Caster's backstory]. I've been waiting to see peoples' reactions for a week now, since it's brand new stuff.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 5:40 pm Reply with quote
Nasu Kinoko wasn't kidding when he said he wanted to give the arc a facelift, Caster's first master and the circumstances in which he was removed from play are very well integrated and don't feel like a time-wasting distraction from the main plot.

The one thing I'm not too happy about is how Caster managed to escape from Lancer, she's short on mana and without a contracted master while Lancer boasts the highest agility rating of all the servant classes. Unless she came up with an emergency teleport, she would have been out of the contest in a heartbeat.

Sera and Leysritt (plus the great halberd!) get the full treatment from Gilgamesh, but Shinji's entrance into the castle is a little over the top. Leysritt was probably messing around as well with her halberd, she could have easily skewered him given how heavy the weapon is.

Next week should be obvious as to what's going to follow, time for ufotable to show its hand.
Dessa

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:52 pm Reply with quote
Totally didn't notice this the first time through, but...

Whats-his-face is spoiler[from the Mage Association (located in Europe). He's blonde, uses alchemy that requires exchange/sacrifice, and uses human lives to create magic stones.] So is he spoiler[a descendant of the Elrics]?

Also, I might have missed it, but was the scene of spoiler[Caster being summoned] in the Crunchyroll broadcast? I swear I didn't miss anything, but the first scene with them was spoiler[him on the couch surrounded by women, saying she was worthless].

[edit]

My question from my first post regarding spoiler[the number 5] being mentioned was clarified (I couldn't see the subs clearly from my seat). It wasn't said that spoiler[5 Servants were summoned], it was said that spoiler[5 Masters had been chosen]. So that would be spoiler[him, Kotomine, Illya, Rin], and, of course (HF spoilers) spoiler[Sakura].
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:24 pm Reply with quote
Whatever else Caster has or hasn't done she gets points from me for spoiler[icing that blonde kid-killer mage twerp.]

I hate to say it but it looks like Rin and Shiro are going to be saved by spoiler[events and conflicts among the other master/saved that are out of their control.] In other words by luck. At least that's the way the story seems to be shaping up.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 2:00 am Reply with quote
Regarding Caster's escape from Lancer: First, we don't know what Lancer's orders actually were. Second, recall that Archer said that Caster is among the best at escaping from a battle, so even if Lancer had tried to engage her, she may still have had enough mana left to run away before Lancer got to her -- otherwise she's dead as there's no way she could actually fight Lancer in the state she was in.

Personally, I doubt she engaged Lancer but did indeed manage to teleport out of there, assuming Lancer was even intent on taking her down. But teleporting used up the last of her mana, which is why she just lied there in the rain, waiting to vanish.
jl07045

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 4:15 am Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
Personally, I doubt she engaged Lancer but did indeed manage to teleport out of there, assuming Lancer was even intent on taking her down. But teleporting used up the last of her mana, which is why she just lied there in the rain, waiting to vanish.

According to lore she can't teleport without first creating her territory and adjusting the laws within it. Pure teleportation is true magic and even she can't do that. I think it's more probable that she managed to freeze Lancer like Archer or fooled him with a duplicate for long enough to make her escape.

I didn't like this episode all that much. It was all setup and Caster's backstory was rather bland. Caster's master was a non-character, just an average magus, Sella and Leysritt left more impression in two minutes than that guy. I don't think you can garner much sympathy for Caster, because she's looking down on him as well and only opposed his methods, because they were ineffective. What I liked was Kirei saying that her past can be interpreted in more than one way. I have a feeling that the show might also not settle with a definite interpretation of her myth. We get her reminiscing about her past a bit, but she's not the most reliable narrator of course.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Evil of 1990s was drawing style where all characters had ridiculously protruding noses (seen in profile; for example, Escaflowne).

But since then some series like this one got to extremes in opposite direction. Characters look like skulls/Pac-Man face in profile. Apparently their noses have no cartilages due to being:

1) chopped off in childhood in some weird cultural tradition of this alternate reality;

2) eaten out by mass epidemic of untreated syphilis or other illness with similar effect;

3) human race mutated to have a skull/Pac-Man face in this alternate world.

Another thing is that eyes of characters are set too far apart. Though this is not as bad as in the worst abuser such as CLAMP who have made a project about human-like mantis -- Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion (TV) (It always seemed weird to me that those characters were supposed to attract female audience -- insects are usually repulsive to them).
Galap

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:26 pm Reply with quote
^ I agree that character design sensibilities have changed over the years (personally I think that the idea of certain styles becoming 'outdated' is pretty lame; for example I'd love to see an anime in the exact visual style of, say, Gall Force made today).

But I don't think that either the new or old designs look inherently bad or anything. For that matter there's always been pretty wide variation with all of the paradigms.

What does this have to do with FSN though?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 22 of 38