• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 11:49 am Reply with quote
Anyone worried about how the remaining episodes would deal with the rest of this arc probably got some kind of answer after seeing the way Archer vs. Shirou has been portrayed.

For the movie, spoiler[it was a straight fight between the two with Shirou's persistence winning out. I think that's how it was at source but this time the producers have spiced things up with the reality marble and a visual representation of the sheath fulfilling its only role in this arc. ]

Between the two, it's difficult to choose since both are appealing in their own ways. But the decision to drag out the duel to two episodes postpones judgment on which is better.

One gripe I do have with the decision to activate the reality marble is the amount of mana Archer should be expending to keep it active. Considering what's going to happen next week and beyond, it does stretch belief a little bit for fans familiar with the background mechanics of this series.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 3:06 pm Reply with quote
"Just because you're correct doesn't mean you're right."

Classic Shiro.

But man, do they really need to drag this out another episode? As if they haven't been going slow enough. This bit was definitely better in the movie, though having a superior verision of Emiya certainly helped.

Atleast Lancer proved why he is the best servant and true star of the route.
Kirkdawg
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 3:29 pm Reply with quote
They handled the monologue bits from the original source well here. Honestly, if Ufotable had a different story script to work with I have no doubt that this series would have been a smash hit...but really I don't think UBW transfers to anime fluidly enough. Sure it's solid, but I definitely got way more excited about their execution with Fate Zero.

The reality marble transformation was probably deemed necessary to spice up the trickiest scene to adapt...but it completely breaks the laws of Nasuverse. Archer is running dangerously low on mana (as commented on by Saber) and Reality Marbles consume an enormous sum of mana to create and maintain. Rider from Zero used all of his mana to spoiler[hold Caster's monster at bay for approximately a few minutes. ] The best Archer would've been able to do is create it and then have it immediately disappear afterwards.

I think they could have condensed this scene into 1 episode, but I guess it's appropriate to extend it to 2 considering that this is one of the most significant events in the whole arc. I just would have preferred them to have moved on because of how awkward the transistion to anime has been.
Dessa

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 9:08 pm Reply with quote
You know, given how spoiler[the scabbard] didn't play a role in the original route of UBW, can we assume that Archer is not the EMIYA from spoiler[the Fate route], and therefore still has spoiler[the scabbard], providing him with mana?
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 9:17 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
You know, given how spoiler[the scabbard] didn't play a role in the original route of UBW, can we assume that Archer is not the EMIYA from spoiler[the Fate route], and therefore still has spoiler[the scabbard], providing him with mana?

I might be wrong, but spoiler[the scabbard is indeed mentioned at source in helping Shirou recover from the battering Archer is giving him ], so the scene in this episode referring to Shirou's wounds healing isn't exactly original to this adaptation.

As for Archer himself, there's no formal explanation but it's reasonable to infer that spoiler[his conversion to the Counter Guardian severs all links he had with Saber rendering the scabbard in his own body unresponsive to Saber's nearby presence. ]. As already mentioned above, the decision to introduce the reality marble this episode is already being nitpicked by viewers familiar with the source and its setting.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Avalon was not mentioned at all during UBW. Since the focus wasn't on Saber there was no reason to bring it up. Shiro's wounds did stop healing after Caster took Saber from him, so it reactivating here is another one of ufotable's inventions.

I don't recall Archer running out of mana in the VN or the movie either, so that plus Avalon could be ufotable making up reasons for why Shiro can go toe to toe with Archer.

Archer's past depends entirely on the route, like how in Heaven's Feel spoiler[he knows what the shadow is.] So as far as this reality goes he probably has Avalon in him as well but since he has no contract with Saber it's meaningless. Here I suppose you could argue Shiro still has a lingering connection with Saber.

Then again, I believe Saber just needs to be nearby, doesn't she? That's how it worked with Irisviel.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 10:01 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Avalon was not mentioned at all during UBW. Since the focus wasn't on Saber there was no reason to bring it up. Shiro's wounds did stop healing after Caster took Saber from him, so it reactivating here is another one of ufotable's inventions.

I don't recall Archer running out of mana in the VN or the movie either, so that plus Avalon could be ufotable making up reasons for why Shiro can go toe to toe with Archer.

Archer's past depends entirely on the route, like how in Heaven's Feel spoiler[he knows what the shadow is.] So as far as this reality goes he probably has Avalon in him as well but since he has no contract with Saber it's meaningless. Here I suppose you could argue Shiro still has a lingering connection with Saber.

Then again, I believe Saber just needs to be nearby, doesn't she? That's how it worked with Irisviel.

Memory can play tricks at times, but I distinctly remember Archer referring to the scabbard in this arc during the duel. It seems to be right at the point where Shirou still keeps getting up despite being put to the ground on multiple occasions.

Archer spoiler[is supposed to go into energy-saving mode at this point since he's got no master and is abusing his class ability and the remnants of Caster's reserves, so he's not run out but is close to empty.]

Which Shirou became Archer also seems to be a moot point as far as I can tell, after all the flashback featuring the scaffold isn't for show. Didn't Archer spoiler[save a hundred people as part of the contract, get betrayed by one of those who saved and go to the gallows by taking the blame for a huge massacre? If he died, then the scabbard which was implanted in him disappeared with his mortal body. Although the Counter Guardian has no benefit from Saber, that won't stop him from remembering his relationship with Saber. ]
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 11:08 pm Reply with quote
I think the contract with the world was just "Hey, make a contract with me and you'll be able to save people even after you die!" I think the world would know he had Avalon in him and that would carry over. Heroic spirits do keep their weapons and special skills and such when they go to the Throne of Heroes.
Dessa

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 12:30 am Reply with quote
Chatting with my friend (who has played the VN and all), and his theory is as follows:

1. spoiler[Nasu power levels don't make sense because he makes up the rules as he goes]
2. spoiler[See 1]
jl07045

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 3:35 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
I think the contract with the world was just "Hey, make a contract with me and you'll be able to save people even after you die!" I think the world would know he had Avalon in him and that would carry over. Heroic spirits do keep their weapons and special skills and such when they go to the Throne of Heroes.

Typical Heroic Spirits are the souls of famous individuals removed from the cycle of reincarnation and preserved forever through the collective memory of humankind. It means some of them have Noble Phantasms they didn't possess in their actual life (if they had one), but were added in their legends.

That doesn't concern Archer though. The text doesn't say what he gets to take with him and what not. That being said the show makes it look as if he even got UBW because of his contract.

Dessa wrote:
1. spoiler[[Nasu power levels don't make sense because he makes up the rules as he goes]]

There's a lifelong tradition of TM fans reading much more from his words than he's actually said. Plus people take power levels much more seriously than he does.
louis6578

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 9:29 pm Reply with quote
I just read the weekly episode review on ANN and... jeez. I mean, I admit that Gabrielle has some valid points, but I dunno. It feels like the review was too harsh. I went into it knowing that it wasn't gonna be anything near the level of writing that Fate/Zero was, just expecting a fun action show. I got what I expected and I loved it.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 10:45 pm Reply with quote
louis6578,

Maybe you should just make posts like that on the Talkback thread instead of this one. I don't think any of us want to see that discussion spreading over here. I know I don't.
louis6578

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 1:03 am Reply with quote
Fair enough. I'm just saying that I don't think UBW is bad by any stretch of the imagination.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 3:20 am Reply with quote
Yeah, if you have any criticisms of the site's review, please try to keep those opinions in the Talkback thread so things don't get derailed or people get confused by who's talking about what and where. Thanks.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Why main lad's voice has changed once he has become mature man spoiler[(Archer)]? It does not sound believable. Authors should have selected similar sounding voice for that, not totally different timbre as they did.

I understand and appreciate that the writing for this show is as thoughtful and deep as ever, and it is much better than your average anime at that.

But, damn, it is so overwordy; it is annoying, to be honest.

I wish author had an editor to cut the excessive verboseness. It is perfectly possible to keep the beautiful allegories and philosophical musings, but still make the speeches much shorter since they also have just regular, not so eloquent phrases that could be easily sacrificed without diminishing artistic value of the writing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 27 of 38