• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:15 pm Reply with quote
Season 2, episode 12:

Imo, the fight was good between Shirou and Gilgamesh in the Unlimited Blade Works. It shows Shirou's potential as a warrior and his role in this season. As for Saber, she got her classic Excalibur moment. Quite fitting actually for this penultimate episode.

Good to see Archer back as well even if it was briefly. I'm starting to really like him after seeing what he has done from the season.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:25 pm Reply with quote
The fight certainly was fairly impressive. There hasn't been a particularly interesting fight in the show since the first one with Kuzuki. Emiya worked okay here but it's far from the best version of it.

That said, I did feel like it lacked the intensity of the movie version. Kawai's score really amped it up but the line delivery had more oomph to it too.

Not only was Rin using command seals on Saber unecessary, but it's also not possible. Masters have a set amount of command seals (unless taken from some one else) and she used 2 on Archer already. Making a contract with a new servant doesn't refresh your command seals so she should still only have one.

Could have used the time to have a little epilogue at the end here instead of once again dragging things out. So expect a whole lot of nothing next episode.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 5:49 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Not only was Rin using command seals on Saber unecessary, but it's also not possible. Masters have a set amount of command seals (unless taken from some one else) and she used 2 on Archer already. Making a contract with a new servant doesn't refresh your command seals so she should still only have one.

Servants that make contracts with new Masters have three new command spells supplied to them by the Holy Grail once their prior Master exhausts all three of the original spells or their original Master gets slain in battle. This had happened with Caster when her original master exhausted his spells and she went on to form a new contract with Kuzuki and Rin gained new command spells when becoming Saber's Master after Caster was slain in battle.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:06 pm Reply with quote
Ggultra2764 wrote:
This had happened with Caster when her original master exhausted his spells and she went on to form a new contract with Kuzuki.

Kuzuki doesn't have command spells, though. He's not an official master and can only provide Caster with mana the old fashioned way. She gets the rest through the "gas leaks."
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:05 pm Reply with quote
Just saw the latest episode and all I can think is "why was there a deus ex Archer?" I'm so confused. The guy was dead, and he comes back out of nowhere, sans master, just to save his friends and say goodbye?

(Also, did they just leave Shinji dying by that tree? because it'd be hilarious if Rin risked her life to save him just to leave him to die by a tree. Laughing)
egoist

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:19 pm Reply with quote
He can fake unique shields and weapons, why not bodies? Think.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:04 pm Reply with quote
We see fairy dust after Gilgamesh attacks him, but that could be him returning to spirit form (and thus invisible) rather than dying.

Though him being out of mana is another issue...
louis6578

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:39 am Reply with quote
You know, I'm disappointed in Ufotable for giving in to the fanboys. They should have added some more original scenes into this fight. Gilgamesh is supposed to have the super prototypes of all the noble phantasms. Instead of just making him use random swords, show him using familiar noble phantasms and have Shirou copy those.

Seriously, I hate how they apparently stopped adding in cool scenes like they did earlier (Ilya vs Rin for example) allegedly because fans of the visual novel complained about the changes. They have their version. This one can and should be different and improved.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:04 am Reply with quote
It has nothing to do with the fanboys. In both the game and the movie he used a variety of weapons, not just generic swords. I think ufotable was just too lazy to animate different weapons
jl07045

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:45 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
It has nothing to do with the fanboys. In both the game and the movie he used a variety of weapons, not just generic swords. I think ufotable was just too lazy to animate different weapons

In the movie Shirou summoned the reality marble and then they both promptly forgot their own abilities and started dueling with nondescript ubw swords in the background.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:53 am Reply with quote
Season 2, episode 13 finale:

Fun finale overall. We see the aftermath of the battle. Since this season focused more on Rin and Shirou's relationship, I guess it was natural that they got more spotlight.

Interesting to see spoiler[Luvia] makes an appearance though. Guess who we will be seeing this Summer again! And yeah, I'm hyped for Heaven's Feel now especially after seeing that trailer again (same one though) and Sakura.

Rating it as very good. I personally liked the first part (Season 1) better though.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:42 pm Reply with quote
Here I was expecting that mid episode flashback was going to be the whole episode. I'm glad they jumped ahead and did some new content. Still, I'm not sure the very end was that much of a good thing, since it suggests Shiro is just going to repeat the same mistakes.

Wasn't expecting Luvia to show up, but oh hi there Waver! This show totally isn't a follow up to Fate/Zero, amirite?!

I've said it enough times but I was pretty disappointed with things over all. Even outside of just the "they didn't make the cool things I was looking forward to cool enough!" stuff they really dragged out the pacing. I didn't feel like much happened in season 1 and the same is kind of true here too, it's just what does happen is more significant. The show really needed to be 13 episodes, or they should have done more anime original stuff. They had the majority of an episode dedicated to Illya's past, so why not Caster (in her Medea days) and Archer too? Maybe even Kuzuki. Instead we just get Archer and Kuzuki standing around talking about it, or Archer telling Shiro how badly his future sucked. We got brief glimpses into that future but they could have shown us an entire episode of that. Not the "Archer and Shiro stand around and talk and barely fight" letdown we got.

Also, Shinji lives. This has always been the biggest piece of bullshit of this route.

I suppose I'm not particularly upset by all this because I was never a very big fan of the UBW route. If they mess up Heaven's Feel, there will be blood.
GhostStalkerSA

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 3:27 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Here I was expecting that mid episode flashback was going to be the whole episode. I'm glad they jumped ahead and did some new content. Still, I'm not sure the very end was that much of a good thing, since it suggests Shiro is just going to repeat the same mistakes.

Apparently, according to reddit, this was posted on Nasu's blog regarding the epilogue:
Quote:
*Desert scene- After the end credits. A desert scene, same as the opening. Shirou walks alone. His strength falters and he stops walking. Shirou looks down to shield his eyes from the sandstorm, and sees traces of someone else having been there (the place where Archer stopped). Shirou breathes out and looks up. There's fake endurance in his expression, but it's full of hope. Shirou walks away with a steady gait. The camera lingers on the traces of Archer's presence, and watches Shirou leave as the shot ends.

That's supposedly what Nasu wrote for the after credits scene, but apparently ufotable failed to fully animate it...
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, that would have worked. We do see him smiling but we already know he's happy to walk that path even if he knows he'll suffer for it later.

Having Rin walk next to him would have been nice too...
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:45 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Also, Shinji lives. This has always been the biggest piece of bullshit of this route.

spoiler[Not just lives, but survives to be forgiven apparently, and tended faithfully by both of the women he sexually abused. I wouldn't go visit a friend in the hospital every day, let alone someone who really really really wanted to rape and kill me.]

Last edited by Gina Szanboti on Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:12 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 34 of 38