• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Recently, my sister is unusual.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zalis116

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 12:50 pm Reply with quote
Was hoping for more resolution on the mysteries of Hiyori's and Yuuya's past, but not surprised at the actual "buy the source material, suckers!" / potential sequel-season-bait ending. Indeed, the show is a conflicted jumble of tender moments and morally-questionable acts, but if you embrace the wrongness enough, it's pretty entertaining. Especially if you get one of the more liberal translations.

RenimLS wrote:
After getting through somewhere within this time frame of events you determined this show was completely worthless and never should have looked at it at all?
There's no sense asking Crystal Ball Critics to explain their methodology, any more than there is asking fortunetellers how they arrive at their conclusions.

Ryu Shoji wrote:
And what about that scene where she had an orgasm in the aquarium because those little fish were nibbling her feet? What was that about?
That was just a matter of "I totally predicted that outcome because Amagami SS did the same thing."

leatherhead wrote:
Like the reviewer mentioned there were some potentially good topics that the anime could have explored. I was immediately enticed by the whole step brother and step sister suddenly being told to live together. I went through the same process when my dad remarried and I got two step sisters. It was definitely an awkward process for us to finally warm up to each other so I felt Mitsuki's attitude towards Yuuya wasn't completely out of line. Sadly in japan there can never be a situation like this that develops properly without the two falling in love. It's quite disheartening really. Does getting a stepsister really always mean "When do you wanna go have sex?" over there?
Sadly, "teenagers become stepsiblings, do a bunch of normal stuff, and experience no sexual tension whatsoever" isn't much of a dramatic hook, as premises go.
Spleen

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 4:35 pm Reply with quote
This was absolutely dreadful. I watched every episode. I seem to be a sucker for watching one of this type of show in each season so I can spend 20 minutes recoiling into the sofa. At least they're not boring, that's all I can say in my defence.

Now that I have the chance to ask, what was the point of the chastity belt? Ghost girl wants to have sex via Mitsuki's body, so she puts a magical device on her that prevents her from having sex? Why? Perhaps this was explained in the first episode, so can anyone remind me?
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 4:44 pm Reply with quote
^
There is no reason for the chastity belt other than it almost causes the girl to piss herself and is an excuse for lots of closeups of her crotch area.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 4:46 pm Reply with quote
Spleen wrote:
Now that I have the chance to ask, what was the point of the chastity belt? Ghost girl wants to have sex via Mitsuki's body, so she puts a magical device on her that prevents her from having sex? Why? Perhaps this was explained in the first episode, so can anyone remind me?

That was my question too and they never explained it.

My conclusion is that the writer just wanted a story with chastity belts in it because that was a fetish he wanted to pander to. A possible rationale was that the restraint stimulus would actually turn Mitsuki on enough that she would take action. As I wrote before she seems pretty clearly pictured as a bsdm "bottom" that has a pleasure response to restraint and humiliation. That kind of theme would be unremarkable in a hentai but perhaps they wanted to aim for "edgy" in the mainstream and just ended up with stupid.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:

Ryu Shoji wrote:
And what about that scene where she had an orgasm in the aquarium because those little fish were nibbling her feet? What was that about?

That was just a matter of "I totally predicted that outcome because Amagami SS did the same thing."

Japanese girls are different - they're very sensitive. Laughing

Zalis116 wrote:

leatherhead wrote:
Like the reviewer mentioned there were some potentially good topics that the anime could have explored. I was immediately enticed by the whole step brother and step sister suddenly being told to live together. I went through the same process when my dad remarried and I got two step sisters. It was definitely an awkward process for us to finally warm up to each other so I felt Mitsuki's attitude towards Yuuya wasn't completely out of line. Sadly in japan there can never be a situation like this that develops properly without the two falling in love. It's quite disheartening really. Does getting a stepsister really always mean "When do you wanna go have sex?" over there?

Sadly, "teenagers become stepsiblings, do a bunch of normal stuff, and experience no sexual tension whatsoever" isn't much of a dramatic hook, as premises go.

Even The Brady Bunch? Very Happy
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 5:39 pm Reply with quote
I watched out of morbid curiosity. I was surprised at how much it calmed down after the first couple of episodes, but it never really reached even "average".

Morning Blue wrote:
The Metal Gear Solid parody was the one joke in the series that got a laugh out of me.

Absolutely. The one other high point for me was Neko cracking up in a cafe right at the end.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
AsherFischell

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 6:10 pm Reply with quote
Spleen wrote:
This was absolutely dreadful. I watched every episode. I seem to be a sucker for watching one of this type of show in each season so I can spend 20 minutes recoiling into the sofa. At least they're not boring, that's all I can say in my defence.

The point of the chastity belt was to force Mitsuki into complying. If Mitsuki didn't comply, she'd never get the chastity belt off. The time limit that it has when opened is there to further inconvenience Mitsuki.

The bigger question is; why would Hiyori only let Mitsuki open it up for a few minutes at a time? Even if Mitsuki did end up having sex, she'd have to make it super-quick every time, which would, as you implied, make it much harder to fill up the meter and would defeat Hiyori's entire purpose. The best answer I can give you to that is that it's a plothole.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 7:08 pm Reply with quote
or they could experiment and try the other hole.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 7:59 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
or they could experiment and try the other hole.

I saw that coming a mile off.

But I came down here to say that if anyone wanted to see a variation of this same plot line -- a sexually repressed high school girl finds happiness and liberation through supernatural domination, you can watch Hadigirl.
AsherFischell

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 12:49 am Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:

I saw that coming a mile off.

That's what she said.
sporked

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 12:01 am Reply with quote
Haven't watched it yet but I intend to just to satisfy personal curiosity. From the sounds of the review it sometimes sounds less like incest genre and more like there's a "these are the realities of both incest and abuse, do you still find this stuff attractive?" angle hiding in there somewhere. Then again I could be wrong and it's another one jumping on the OreImo bandwagon.
Quark

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 12:29 am Reply with quote
sporked wrote:
Haven't watched it yet but I intend to just to satisfy personal curiosity. From the sounds of the review it sometimes sounds less like incest genre and more like there's a "these are the realities of both incest and abuse, do you still find this stuff attractive?" angle hiding in there somewhere. Then again I could be wrong and it's another one jumping on the OreImo bandwagon.

I think you might be wrong. The series was very pandering and full of fanservice, and the awful treatment of Mitsuki was treated like it was totally okay and something that she should just deal with. Also, there's no real incest as far as I can tell.
If you're wanting a series that deals with incest in a mature manner and that is not afraid to show the negative aspects of it, I'd recommend Koi Kaze.
hojo 360

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 1:51 pm Reply with quote
Shows only good for faping too other then that pass Laughing
Shippoyasha

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 3:27 am Reply with quote
I actually really liked the 'abusive' part of the story considering we usually get the girl destroying the boy in this situation. So it's nice to have the girl be the butt of the joke for once. Also, the piss jokes and the crudeness was somewhat funny to me. But it's risque and obviously not everyone will take to it. That's understandable.
Rivailloli

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 7:32 am Reply with quote
Shippoyasha wrote:
I actually really liked the 'abusive' part of the story considering we usually get the girl destroying the boy in this situation. So it's nice to have the girl be the butt of the joke for once.

I dunno, the series took it a little too far. If a male character went through that, I would still be just as disgusted. Shit ain't okay in my books. No way, sir.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6