• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Recently, my sister is unusual.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 8:37 am Reply with quote
AsherFischell wrote:

The bigger question is; why would Hiyori only let Mitsuki open it up for a few minutes at a time? Even if Mitsuki did end up having sex, she'd have to make it super-quick every time, which would, as you implied, make it much harder to fill up the meter and would defeat Hiyori's entire purpose. The best answer I can give you to that is that it's a plothole.
In more ways than one it appears.
AsherFischell

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
AsherFischell wrote:

The bigger question is; why would Hiyori only let Mitsuki open it up for a few minutes at a time? Even if Mitsuki did end up having sex, she'd have to make it super-quick every time, which would, as you implied, make it much harder to fill up the meter and would defeat Hiyori's entire purpose. The best answer I can give you to that is that it's a plothole.
In more ways than one it appears.

Ba dum tshh!!! Well played, sir.
Echii

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 3:14 am Reply with quote
Why "abusive treatment of lead character" is listed as something as negative in this review

I think one of the things that make this anime enjoyable is to watch the main character getting abused and then watch her funny reaction
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 8:35 am Reply with quote
Echii wrote:
Why "abusive treatment of lead character" is listed as something as negative in this review

I think one of the things that make this anime enjoyable is to watch the main character getting abused and then watch her funny reaction

good for you. Theron didn't, so it's a negative
Echii

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 1:20 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
Echii wrote:

I think when you write a review you should be as objective as mush as possible. I never read any review that says that murder is negative, or stealing is negative. I don't see why "abusive treatment" should be negative specially in an ecchi anime.

Abusive treatment exists in almost all ecchi animes. If you hate these things then you should not make a review for ecchi anime. It is just like how murder and gore exists in action and horror anime and you should not complain about these things when you decide to watch it and make a review.

Last edited by Echii on Sun May 18, 2014 2:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Echii wrote:
Abusive treatment exists in almost all ecchi animes.

I've seen more than a few that don't, actually. The list grows when you don't count pranks and accidental nudity as abuse.

Do you normally post here under a different name and create that account just to say the above? Or are you new and expecting to continue with that handle? Just curious.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Reviews by definition can't be objective. Reviews are that writer's opinion. Opinions are not objective.

Last edited by Rahxephon91 on Sun May 18, 2014 4:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 10:18 pm Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:
Reviews be definition can't be objective. Reviews are that writer's opinion. Opinions are not objective.

True. I forgot to say that.

Reviews should be fair. Not objective.
Key

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 12:30 am Reply with quote
Echii wrote:
Abusive treatment exists in almost all ecchi animes. If you hate these things then you should not make a review for ecchi anime. It is just like how murder and gore exists in action and horror anime and you should complain about these things when you decide to watch it and make a review.

Think you need to go back and reread the first couple of paragraphs of the review, where I explained in detail exactly where I thought the series crossed the line. This goes beyond what ecchi series normally do on that front.

It takes quite a bit for an ecchi series to make me uncomfortable. This one did, hence the reason I feel fully warranted in listing it as a negative. That does not, of course, preclude the possibility that not everyone will see it as a negative.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kitsunelaine

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 1:25 am Reply with quote
Someone had to review this? ... Someone had to sit down and watch all of the episodes of this show?

I... I heard the stories. I heard how godawful it was. I barely made it through the first episode as a test of endurance. I... I... The reviewer has my sympathies, and as many internet hugs I can give.

Godspeed, Theron. Godspeed.

Also:

Echii wrote:
getchman wrote:
Echii wrote:

I think when you write a review you should be as objective as mush as possible. I never read any review that says that murder is negative, or stealing is negative. I don't see why "abusive treatment" should be negative specially in an ecchi anime.

Abusive treatment exists in almost all ecchi animes. If you hate these things then you should not make a review for ecchi anime. It is just like how murder and gore exists in action and horror anime and you should complain about these things when you decide to watch it and make a review.

Abuse is abuse. Just because it "happens all the time in eechi" is not a reason to defend it. That is not a good thing. At all.

There is also no such thing as an unbiased review. Calling for people to be objective without any shred of bias is essentially the same as saying "You can't have an opinion when you're a reviewer", when the entire point of reviewing is to voice your opinion. The only unbiased review is "This is a thing that exists". You're not coming here for that.

"Murder" is also a different subject entirely because that usually happens for plot reasons and can be treated as such-- Here, you're depicting abuse as sexually favourable, for titillation. That is the definition of "Not OK". I'm sure if a show depicted people getting off while mass murdering others in a positive light, you'd have a problem with it.

Last edited by Kitsunelaine on Sun May 18, 2014 1:52 am; edited 16 times in total
Shippoyasha

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 1:32 am Reply with quote
Rivailloli wrote:
Shippoyasha wrote:
I actually really liked the 'abusive' part of the story considering we usually get the girl destroying the boy in this situation. So it's nice to have the girl be the butt of the joke for once.

I dunno, the series took it a little too far. If a male character went through that, I would still be just as disgusted. Shit ain't okay in my books. No way, sir.

I think it comes with the territory with ecchi comedy though. Though this show was a bit more risque than usual. I don't mind some risque stuff from time to time. Again, I can understand if it's not to everyone's liking.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 9:12 am Reply with quote
Abuse of the MC does exist in a lot of ecchi shows, however as I said in comparing Kanokon to this show, there are plenty of examples where the "abuse" is more or less limited to embarrassment or forcing the MC to do something that the show makes clear they really want to do anyway, or get some enjoyment out of.

This show just went extremely hard in the direction of showing the MC abused in a way that was disturbing to the MC and the viewer. Probably the most troubling aspect was the combination of the chastity belt and the death threat on her if she didn't comply. The rape scenes were also pretty cringe inducing. Most ecchi shows would probably tease a lot more than just go for straight up rape. The show was overly heavy handed and crude in areas where most ecchi writers have made fetishy teasing into an art form so to speak. Thus, it is offensive where most shows would just be devilishly taboo.
Echii

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 2:39 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:

This show just went extremely hard in the direction of showing the MC abused in a way that was disturbing to the MC and the viewer.

Viewer? !! Does that include me ?

Each viewer has his own taste. Some viewer hate slice of life or sport.

If you hate ecchi, hentai or sexual abuse animes, then why bother watch the whole anime and write a rubbish review. You just hate the genre. This like someone who hate sport anime because it is about sport.

ChibiKangaroo wrote:

Probably the most troubling aspect was the combination of the chastity belt and the death threat on her if she didn't comply. The rape scenes were also pretty cringe inducing.

This exactly what makes the anime enjoyable to watch. I can not imagine how this anime would be without the chastity belt and the abuse.

Cringe inducing ?! All of those rape and sex scenes in this anime felt more like a joke or a comedy. You make it sound like you are watching a real life sexual abuse. It is just a fictional show. People who get raped or abused in real life will have symptoms like depressions. The MC character in that anime didn't have any of these symptoms. If you watched Berserk anime or manga it portrays rape much closer to real life than this anime.

And anime are not supposed to teach morals or follow moral code. If you want anime to follow moral code, then you will probably hate most anime
nargun

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 4:29 pm Reply with quote
Shippoyasha wrote:
I think it comes with the territory with ecchi comedy though. Though this show was a bit more risque than usual. I don't mind some risque stuff from time to time. Again, I can understand if it's not to everyone's liking.

No, see, I don't think you can. If you actually understood that it's not to everyone's liking you'd understand that people might want to avoid that sort of content and so you'd understand why a reviewer would mention it in their review.

"Oh, and by the way the dish contains peanuts, so people with nut allergies might not want to eat it in case it kills them"
"I like peanuts! Why are you saying that containing peanuts is a bad thing!!"

I wonder, could it be possible that there might be some connection between your desire that reviews contain only the information that you want to know about a show -- and excluding the information that others might want to know, like abuse -- and the claim you make that you don't find abuse off-putting in the media you consume?
RokugoPeachMoon

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 5:16 pm Reply with quote
Adaminator1 wrote:

"Murder" is also a different subject entirely because that usually happens for plot reasons and can be treated as such-- Here, you're depicting abuse as sexually favourable, for titillation. That is the definition of "Not OK". I'm sure if a show depicted people getting off while mass murdering others in a positive light, you'd have a problem with it.

One big pile of baloney..........

hojo 360 wrote:
Shows only good for faping too.......

Oh look, there's that played-out, condescending line of rhetoric again.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6