• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kill la Kill English Dub to Premiere at Anime Expo

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stove top stuffing

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 8:51 pm Reply with quote
I don't care about the English dub. I just need to own this in blu ray.
Divineking

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 9:00 pm Reply with quote
SouthPacific wrote:
leatherhead333 wrote:
Wait how did they already get cleared to do the dub this fast? Shocked

Don't these things take around a year after it stops airing in japan?
Bah whatever. I'm glad they didn't go with a sub only release, I probably would have lost what respect i had for AOA Laughing

They do if you're an american licensor. With AoA being a branch of Aniplex surely they can do things quicker, and if it's financially viable they seemingly will speed up the process.

I had wished they went for a sub-only release as it would be kinder on my wallet, but this show has proven to be a hit with americans so dubbing will make them more money (otherwise they probably wouldn't dub it).

Guess this confirms that the Q4 release of the first part of KLK by Anime Limited will be bilangual.

Releases usually take more than a year after airing in Japan but dubs are in production a few months after the last japanese broadcast pretty often these days. Exactly how fast we actually see them is another matter entirely but the production cycle for them isn't as slow as it used to be.

Not surprised to see it ready for AX though. Odds are pretty good it'll be Blue Exorcist's replacement on Toonami so it had to be ready by August. I just hope the actually release doesn't come for awhile longer since that could potentially mean a SAO-like pricing model and while I love this show I'm not sure I love it THAT much...

Curious how the dub cast'll turn out since at the moment it doesn't look to be a union dub. Out of BZ's current talent pool my ideal pick would be Amanda C Miller for Ryuko but we'll see what happens I guess (no clue who could play Satsuki based on that though unless we miraculously get Tara Platt)
Lynxikat

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 9:48 pm Reply with quote
My mind just exploded. If only I didn't live on the other side of the country >.<

Since it'll be a Bang Zoom dub, I'm a little wary-- for me at least, they're usually a hit of a miss. The Japanese dub was beyond incredible in this series-- the dub will have a tough act to follow.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 10:08 pm Reply with quote
Some Bang Zoom dubs are better than others like any company, but pretty much all of them are listenable IMO. I'm curious to see who they'll cast for this.

Glad this is getting a dub!
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 10:24 pm Reply with quote
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings wrote:
Mary Elizabeth McGlynn as Ragyo and Tara Platt as Satsuki.

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, MAKE IT HAPPEN.

Yes on Ragyo! For Satsuki maybe someone with a bit more authoritative voice like Cindy Robinson. Though keep in mind, there's always a new crop of VAs nowadays they could choose from! Wink
merr

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Barring a miracle, it's guaranteed to be a non-union Bang Zoom dub. That means we can expect the typical group of AX idol winners, low-paid fandubbers, and a miscast Kyle Hebert. Also a phoned-in performance by Wendee Lee. Any other LA names that show up will be in supporting roles requiring less than two hours of studio time to record.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 11:19 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings wrote:
Mary Elizabeth McGlynn as Ragyo and Tara Platt as Satsuki.

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, MAKE IT HAPPEN.

Yes on Ragyo! For Satsuki maybe someone with a bit more authoritative voice like Cindy Robinson. Though keep in mind, there's always a new crop of VAs nowadays they could choose from! Wink

Seconded for Ragyo! Or third. ed.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 11:39 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
publicenemy333 wrote:
This seems like something that wont be easy to dub. I wonder what kinda approach they'll take with it. Im hoping it'll be good. I'm gonna have to get a ticket for this Smile

If they can dub Gurren Lagann, they can dub this.

Just about the only thing that the Gurren Lagann dub can be used for is to demonstrate that karma is alive and well in the anime world: they screwed ADV so they got shafted with a craptastic dub. Kyle Hebert couldn't save it.

Using Gurren Lagann's dub as an example kinda implies that the dub will be similarly bad. Which probably isn't too far off the mark as zany shows are far from Bang/Zoom's forte.

...if that fake "4kids dubs Kill La Kill" video were better than the actual dub I would not be surprised. It was better than the Gurren Lagaan dub.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 12:04 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
SpacemanHardy, it's arguable that someone could apply your comment on Darrel's acting abilities to a Japanese performance (I've lately been on a trek of sorts on another forum asking people when they consider the Japanese version of anime to be crappy because I am so used to hearing how the Eng. version is horrible and thought it was time to reverse the situation. This would be namely to people that I see coming across as sub elitists).

Oh I'm sure they could. Believe me, I'm far from what you'd call a "sub-elitist". If anything, I'm more on the opposite end of the spectrum in that I listen to dubs almost exclusively.

No, the truth of the matter is that most dubs actors I don't have any real problem with. It's mainly just *HIM*. He is AWFUL. He has never been good in any show, under any director, for any studio, I have EVER heard him in. His voice is like ear cancer to me. And I'll be honest, I have to question the tastes of anyone who actually thinks he's good.

He makes the old hokey Speed Racer dubs sound natural and convincing, for crying out loud. Confused
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 12:47 am Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
Dumnerd wrote:
I was concerned that AoA would release this SUB-only in North America...

Yeah, heaven forbid they do that. Then it might be affordable.

With Aniplex's track record, then it would've been DVD-only and still would've cost twice as much as everything else.

This.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 3:21 am Reply with quote
I was thinking more of Mary Elizabeth McGlynn as Satsuki, Michael McConnohie or Jamieson Price as Ira Gamagoori, and either Liam O'Brien or Crispin Freeman as Aikuro Mikisugi. Melissa Fahn can play Mako. Even with these VAs I wouldn't expect it to touch the Japanese cast, though.

I can't imagine anyone who could play Ryuko well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
SouthPacific

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 4:41 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
I was thinking more of Mary Elizabeth McGlynn as Satsuki, Michael McConnohie or Jamieson Price as Ira Gamagoori, and either Liam O'Brien or Crispin Freeman as Aikuro Mikisugi. Melissa Fahn can play Mako. Even with these VAs I wouldn't expect it to touch the Japanese cast, though.

Even if you go by Ami Koshimizu standards her performance for Ryuko was just mind-blowing. Just getting remotely close to what Koshimizu-san did is going to be a difficult task.
Hitokiri Kenshin

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 5:07 am Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
Kadmos1 wrote:
SpacemanHardy, it's arguable that someone could apply your comment on Darrel's acting abilities to a Japanese performance (I've lately been on a trek of sorts on another forum asking people when they consider the Japanese version of anime to be crappy because I am so used to hearing how the Eng. version is horrible and thought it was time to reverse the situation. This would be namely to people that I see coming across as sub elitists).

Oh I'm sure they could. Believe me, I'm far from what you'd call a "sub-elitist". If anything, I'm more on the opposite end of the spectrum in that I listen to dubs almost exclusively.

No, the truth of the matter is that most dubs actors I don't have any real problem with. It's mainly just *HIM*. He is AWFUL. He has never been good in any show, under any director, for any studio, I have EVER heard him in. His voice is like ear cancer to me. And I'll be honest, I have to question the tastes of anyone who actually thinks he's good.

He makes the old hokey Speed Racer dubs sound natural and convincing, for crying out loud. Confused

*checks wiki* Only thing I saw him in was MVC3 and he sounded ok there.

With the Gurren Lagann comments, did anyone else like the cast had a lot of superheroes? Or did folks like them more as superheroes and not GL characters/not like superheroes?
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 7:58 am Reply with quote
Aniplex does a good job with releases and I've spent a pretty penny on them (Garden of Sinners, Bakemonogatari, Madoka, etc.). I have to admit that I'm really hoping they don't go the Fate/Zero route where it will INITIALLY be around $700 for an entire series. I get that we pay a lot less in the states for anime and I am very grateful for that fact, so please no flames. I just honestly can't afford $700.

Hopefully they will go the Magi or Blue Exorcist route and it will only be around $200 for the entire thing.
Lynxikat

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 8:24 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

Those are actually really good choices; however, I think Mary Elizabeth McGlynn might fit Ragyo better, but then again, I can't really think of a specific person who would play Satsuki.

Ami Koshizimu IS Ryuko; it'll take a really talented ADR director to find someone who can breath life into that role like Koshimizu.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6