• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Pile of Shame - 3x3 Eyes

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Melanchthon

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Wow, 3x3 Eyes. I'm surprised to see it in this column, I though it was one of those classics everyone has seen. There's nothing groundbreaking or particularly clever about it, but it is a lot of fun. And very ugly, I think I have copies of the blue ray version and they look horrible, plus the character designs are pretty hidieous to begin with. Not to mention so many scenes take place in the dark or at night, making it all but unpossible to follow the action.

Oh and Hayashibara Megumi? Best Voice Actress EVAR.
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 8:34 pm Reply with quote
I loved the 3x3 Eyes manga. When I first got into manga the library where I lived at the time had the Dark Horse volumes, and the story was rollicking good fun. Yakumo's immortal nature was funny and surreal and got me interested in spottng other characters like him: non-vampire immortals who can suffer pain and injury but can't die. From Jack Harkness in Torchwood/Doctor Who to certain characters in Baccanno, they're are more of them than you might think!
Nadare Xizos

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 10:23 pm Reply with quote
It's too bad Dark Horse never finished the manga. While I love the anime, the manga was better, and the story was really interesting. Yakumo is indeed an early version of Captain Jack Harkness, also a character I admire. Jack got me into Doctor Who, and I've never looked back since. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Brand

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 10:46 pm Reply with quote
I watched this a couple of years ago and I enjoyed it well enough. But I do feel this is an anime that if I had seen it in my early days I'd enjoyed it more.

I do remember the DVD looking like crap. It has the problem a lot of early-ish DVDs have where you can see "lines" when there is a lot of movement.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 11:45 pm Reply with quote
Northlander wrote:
Makes me a bit sad that Kaoru Wada's music doesn't even earn a mention, since he did a lot of absolutely wonderful work.... well, as far as I can tell, anyway. Weirdly enough, out of the shows he's done the score for, I've only really seen 3x3 Eyes, Battle Angel Alita and Inuyasha. Not a whole lot to go on, but each of those shows have a very nice score, if nothing else.

Fully agreed. I've always liked the musical score to this one, and even gave that aspect an A- grade when I reviewed the series a few years back. It really carries the series.

Overall, it's a fun little series if you don't mind things getting really, really bloody at times.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
belvadeer

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 11:48 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The casting is noteworthy not only because nearly everybody is a seasoned screen actor, but also because nearly all of them were also in the late 90s Disney TV show Gargoyles.

Hot damn, now I'm deeply regretful for missing this. I knew about 3x3 Eyes only by name back in the day and that it was one of those sought after frequently anime.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 12:23 am Reply with quote
Funny that an article on this OVA would come up on here the very day after I threw out the raw VHS tapes that I had of it!
taster of pork

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 12:35 am Reply with quote
I remember watching this back when it came on Stars movie channel. At the time I was just starting to get into anime, so I thought it was pretty good. Also read some of the manga at my high school library. If It's getting a re-release, I might re visit it.
Kicksville

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 2:12 am Reply with quote
I'm one of those people who saw it on the Action Channel, and it's something I keep coming back to. I recorded it on VHS, got the DVDs, watched it in Japanese and both dubs...

I think Ben Ettinger's assessment touches on a lot of what makes it feel special:
Quote:
It succeeds in creating a convincing feeling of adventure and epic grandeur, which seems to have become a lost art today. Here the spirit of adventure is natural and unforced and unselfconscious, which is unbelievably refreshing to see today.
---
What I came away from upon rewatching the OVAs was a feeling of a promise unfulfilled. I'm not talking about the fact that the series gets cut off right when it's getting good. I may sound perverse for saying so, but I kind of liked that things remained open that way. It's sad to see a story you like come to an end. I always found that unresolved mystery of what was going to happen somehow pleasant. What I'm talking about, rather, is that this show had a certain feeling of expansive adventure convincingly directed that I expected to find in all anime, and haven't. That's the downside to starting high. It's downhill from there. Most anime I've seen since then is predictable in story and characters and never succeeds in creating a genuine feeling of dramatic scale. That feeling of truly enjoying each moment of a long saga, of getting into the characters, isn't something I've gotten very often since then from anime, which is surprising since so much anime has attempted to create that sort of thing.

Also, everything on Koichi Arai's animation and character design made me better appreciate why it is I enjoyed the look and feeling of it so much (and reminded me yet again of why I love Anipages).
noigeL

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 2:58 am Reply with quote
The New Gen dub is decent for the most part. Christian Campbell makes for a pretty good Yakumo. Brigitte Bako and mostly fine, but her rendition of Sanjiyan Pai's extended laughing sequence is downright embarrassing. Great cameo by Keith David, though.
noigeL

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 3:05 am Reply with quote
Melanchthon wrote:

I've always found Hayashibara a little overrated in some respects as she was prone to awkward miscasting at times (Cowboy Bebop) however she's very enjoyable when she brings her A-game. I agree with Justin, she helped elevate 3X3 Eyes above a standard action/adventure romp and she was also able to the same with Blue Seed and Nuku Nuku (the OVA, nothing can save those TV series). Yuzo Takada was clearly a fan of hers.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 10:08 am Reply with quote
Melanchthon wrote:

Oh, yeah. Man talk about her early roles for playing characters you dare not mess with. And Sanijan was one of them. Surprised You might say that might have been my first exposure to her VA long before I started looking up VA names and being exposed to the likes of Evangelion's Rei Ayanami or Cowboy Bebop's JFaye Valentine.
mrakai

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 10:42 am Reply with quote
The best bit of stunt casting in the NGP dub was Film and TV legend Ed Asner as Grandpa Ayanokoji.

While it's gratifying to see NGP continuing to do well in the videogame dubbing arena, their LA based dubs of anime were almost always top notch.
MrBear16

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 6:25 pm Reply with quote
The manga is excellent. The main problem with the OAV, and with OAV's in general, is condensing. That said, I think the anime adaption was better than a lot of what's been coming out of Japan in the past 10 years.
luisedgarf

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 8:25 pm Reply with quote
I remember the scene when one of Yakumo's female friends is gored by a tentacle monster, and the most stupidest thing that happens here is the fact after Yakumo and Pai destroyed that monster, she's completely OK, despise being raped by that monster and almost ripped in shreds. The only thing that happened to her is she lost her clothes after that battle.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3