• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
House of 1000 Manga - Bunny Drop

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FoxgloveLove

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 10:40 am Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
Quote:
Some fans of moe manga claim that it's not really about sexual attraction to super-young girls; rather, it's about the desire to be a parent.

Whoa. I've got a news flash: being a parent is not about wanting to put your dick in your daughter. People have a bizarro sense of parenting and I kinda worry what happened to them as children if they think that.

Moe is not meant to be sexual in nature (in my opinion). Those who take it that way could probably be considered fetishists, just like any other.

Not that that's a bad thing but I don't think that fits into the original intention of the mentality.
Touma

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 11:00 am Reply with quote
FoxgloveLove wrote:
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
Quote:
Some fans of moe manga claim that it's not really about sexual attraction to super-young girls; rather, it's about the desire to be a parent.

Whoa. I've got a news flash: being a parent is not about wanting to put your dick in your daughter. People have a bizarro sense of parenting and I kinda worry what happened to them as children if they think that.

Moe is not meant to be sexual in nature (in my opinion).

That is my opinion too, but this is really not the place to get into another long, pointless, and probably volatile argument about the definition of "moe."
I questioned Mr. sicVisionz' response because the post that he quoted specifically said that it was not about sexual attraction, so I was wondering if he was really replying to something else.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Northlander

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 11:42 am Reply with quote
Akane the Catgirl wrote:
To me, feminism is simply proving that women and men are on equal grounds, and that neither sex is inherently better than the other. If it is about women being better than men, that can veer into sexism against men and misandry. Let's all agree that men and women CAN and SHOULD have equal rights and be on equal standing. Who's with me? Smile

I originally didn't want to take part in this thread due to the whole headache that is the argument about Rin's decision in the manga, but I just wanted to say I'm very much with you on this.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 12:00 pm Reply with quote
sunflower wrote:
That's your definition of feminism. It's not the only one, nor is it the 'correct' one. There is no correct one. Feminism has splintered into as many groups as the protestant churches, and none is morally superior, despite what the adherents of each may think.

I think you could make a pretty good argument that any definition of feminism that says it's 100% okay for a woman to stay in an abusive relationship because she "chose" too is morally inferior. I know I may be oversimplifying the definition that either of the individuals I've been quoting might have of feminism, but no, "supporting any choice women make ever" is not a good version of feminism. Now, what counts as a good choice, there's some area for legitimate and interesting debate.

Quote:
I think both of you are wrong. Let me explain why. Feminism isn't just about making choices- whether they be right or not. Feminism isn't just about smashing the patriarchal barriers. To me, feminism is simply proving that women and men are on equal grounds, and that neither sex is inherently better than the other. If it is about women being better than men, that can veer into sexism against men and misandry. Let's all agree that men and women CAN and SHOULD have equal rights and be on equal standing. Who's with me?

Ah yes, the ever present threat of misandry among feminists, who secretly want to flip the current sexist model and replace it with one with women on top. Rolling Eyes Totally what my post was about, right?

Look, all feminists agree that there should be male-female equality, we just disagree about what steps to go about reaching that. Some people feel that if you just make laws gender neutral, boom, sexism is over. Others of us - myself included - feel there's still a lot of work left to be done in making society equal, and that it may require temporarily providing boosts for women, the same way we've had affirmative action for racial minorities who've faced oppression. That's not misandry, that's not reverse sexism, it's just trying to level the playing field.

But I do agree that I don't want to derail this thread any further into arguments about what's the best way to be feminist. I will, however, stand by the idea that Rin "choosing" Daikichi somehow makes this a daring and compelling work of women's liberation, as opposed to an entrenchment of the notion that husbands are basically the same as fathers (providers, protectors, and authority figures), just with sex added.
Ignatz

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 1:46 pm Reply with quote
Ugh. Another thread that originally had nothing to do with feminism, yet turned into a discussion about it. Seriously guys, why do you even bring it up? Why do you think that the people who are criticising Rin's decision are doing so because of her gender? Male or female, gender is completely irrelevant in this situation. The topic at hand should be "Is it wrong to marry the person who raised you?"
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Ignatz wrote:
Ugh. Another thread that originally had nothing to do with feminism, yet turned into a discussion about it. Seriously guys, why do you even bring it up? Why do you think that the people who are criticising Rin's decision are doing so because of her gender? Male or female, gender is completely irrelevant in this situation. The topic at hand should be "Is it wrong to marry the person who raised you?"

To answer your question YES for the love of god yes. This is coming from a guy that enjoys fetish shows like kiss x sis, aki sora etc. You do not groom a child into becoming your better half because your to damn lazy or incompetent of finding a mate "regardless of gender" to marry and love.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
st_owly

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 3:19 pm Reply with quote
^ Daikiichi didn't groom Rin at all. It was her who pressured him. He agreed to marry her (rather reluctantly) , and only once she'd finished high school.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 5:26 pm Reply with quote
st_owly wrote:
^ Daikiichi didn't groom Rin at all. It was her who pressured him. He agreed to marry her (rather reluctantly) , and only once she'd finished high school.

And that's my other biggest issue with this series. If Rin developed an Electra Complex, fine. It can happen, I guess. But for Daikichi, the older, wiser, more life-experienced one, to say "Sure" despite having raised her from childhood--NO. That is the most ridiculous part of the manga for me. It's like a little girl going "I'm going to grow up and marry Daddy! Very Happy" and then when she's older the dad going "Fine by me!" *shudder*

EDIT: I'm wondering now if that was the point of setting the second half from Rin's POV. Not just to explore Rin's developing feelings, but to also not have to deal with how Daikichi feels about it, and his transition from parental love to romantic love. >.> Creative handwaving, I guess. XP
st_owly

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 5:34 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
But for Daikichi, the older, wiser, more life-experienced one, to say "Sure" despite having raised her from childhood--NO. That is the most ridiculous part of the manga for me.

That's the issue I had with it as well. I don't understand why he said yes to a marriage proposal from a teenager who he'd raised since being a child, when as you said, he's meant to be older and more mature. If he was reluctant, why the hell did he say yes?
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 5:41 pm Reply with quote
st_owly wrote:

That's the issue I had with it as well. I don't understand why he said yes to a marriage proposal from a teenager who he'd raised since being a child, when as you said, he's meant to be older and more mature. If he was reluctant, why the hell did he say yes?

As far as I can tell, there's no concrete explanation in the manga. I've heard theories that posit that he accepted because of a screwy extension of his paternal feelings--if he can stay with Rin, he can keep taking care of her. And their child, which makes the relationship inherently sexual and ARGGGGGGH!
EnigmaticSky

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 5:59 pm Reply with quote
I absolutely love that I read a professional review that just ends with "they fucked up." Best review ever.

I heard such great things about the anime... and then someone on a forum decided not to use spoiler tags and mentioned the ending of the manga. I can try to just think of them as alternate universes, but I think it would be difficult to watch and block out that she tries to get with her dad at the end... Jesus Christ.
ptolemy18
Manga Reviewer/Creator/Taster

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Hi all -- I'm the author of the original review. Sorry it took me so long to write in!

This conversation has obviously gone OT in places, but I want to say that personally, I'm not at all opposed to "shocking" stories or incest stories on principle. I just don't like how it was handled in "Bunny Drop." As someone else said on Twitter, it comes off as a "raising your dream bride" fantasy, which is something I dislike for all kinds of reasons. Also, I don't think it felt psychologically believable, and it came across to me as sort of depressing and sad... as well as not very well done from a storytelling perspective since it sort of comes out of nowhere and changes the feel of the entire manga. (I won't even get into the 'sudden shojo romance' in vols. 5-6 that basically goes nowhere.)

I also wanted to say to "errinunra" that, although I disagree with you about Bunny Drop, I totally sympathize with you if you've taken crap from people for having married cousins as relatives. I too have married cousins as relatives; this sort of thing is fairly common in lots of cultures outside the US and frankly it's no big deal. (Of course, this means in cultures where cousin marriage is accepted it's just plain accepted as normal: it's not 'forbidden bad' OR 'forbidden kinky/attractive'.) However, it's a TOTALLY different thing from parental or sibling incest, so I don't really think of them as equivalent, despite what a few Americans may think.
Gilles Poitras

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 6:06 pm Reply with quote
Sylpher3 wrote:
... it suddenly became a story about a man raising his future wife to later have babies with her.

You mean like the protagonist in The Tale of Genji?

On another note Kanta Kamei has stated that the manga was still ongoing when he directed the anime so they decided to stick with the first part with Rin as a young child.
animenewsnetwork.com/interview/2012-08-03/interview-kanta-kamei-director-of-bunny-drop
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Gilles Poitras wrote:
On another note Kanta Kamei has stated that the manga was still ongoing when he directed the anime so they decided to stick with the first part with Rin as a young child.
animenewsnetwork.com/interview/2012-08-03/interview-kanta-kamei-director-of-bunny-drop

That's indeed what he stated, but it isn't true, for two reasons.

1): The ending of the manga was already pretty well known months before the anime aired. If you'd read one of my earlier posts where I linked to an old discussion you would know that. Here is the link once more:

animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=267250

Had the director been asked to adapt the whole story he could have come up with a very similar ending to the manga because it was obvious where the manga was going to go. And it would've hardly be the first time an anime director was tasked to invent an anime-original ending. For goodness sakes, Hellsing's anime adaptation was aired when only half the volumes had been released.

2): Even if the manga had been completely finished in time, or even if an anime-original ending had been greenlit, there was simply too much material to fit in an eleven-episode series. The episode limit alone would have easily prevented the post-timeskip events from being adapted. The director therefore had no choice but to limit the adaptation to the pre-timeskip volumes.

----------

I know what the director said in that interview, and he makes it clear that he wouldn't have wanted to touch the post-timeskip volumes if he'd had the choice. But when he says that the only reason the anime only adapted four volumes was because the manga wasn't finished, it just doesn't wash.
kanechin

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 10:16 pm Reply with quote
everyone is entitled to their opinions but don't f******* expect everyone or anyone to listen to you about what's right and what's wrong. Preach your morals to yourself and your kids.
Various "taboo" things are only "taboo" because a bunch of people say it is, doesn't even matter if god says it's taboo. People can think for themselves and decide "hey, this moe/loli/incest stuff isn't bad".

"Is it wrong to marry the person who raised you?"
To some=yes which is the majority who also happen to be morally groomed by those who believe it's wrong or have formed their own opinion.
To others=no which would be those who form their own opinion which ends up being "I like xx" instead of listening to the pitchfork majority or the opinion influenced law that others already don't give a s*** about . Accept that and move on.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8