• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
House of 1000 Manga - Bunny Drop

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 10:23 pm Reply with quote
You otaku are up for review. This should be a desensitized issue by now. The manga was excellent and the anime was a fun "look" at the manga.
TrailOfDead

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 10:38 pm Reply with quote
kanechin wrote:
everyone is entitled to their opinions but don't f******* expect everyone or anyone to listen to you about what's right and what's wrong. Preach your morals to yourself and your kids.
Various "taboo" things are only "taboo" because a bunch of people say it is, doesn't even matter if god says it's taboo. People can think for themselves and decide "hey, this moe/loli/incest stuff isn't bad".

"Is it wrong to marry the person who raised you?"
To some=yes which is the majority who also happen to be morally groomed by those who believe it's wrong or have formed their own opinion.
To others=no which would be those who form their own opinion which ends up being "I like xx" instead of listening to the pitchfork majority or the opinion influenced law that others already don't give a s*** about . Accept that and move on.

yeah i mean ultimately we are all just slowly dying apes hurtling on a rock through space and are all going to end up just as dead as each other anyway so we basically should just abandon normative values of any kind and stop thinking about the future of our species and the well being of other people and stuff,,
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 1:46 am Reply with quote
kanechin wrote:
everyone is entitled to their opinions but don't f******* expect everyone or anyone to listen to you about what's right and what's wrong. Preach your morals to yourself and your kids.

You are quite literally preaching that what they are doing (preaching) is wrong. This is called "hypocrisy".
Blarg Monster

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 2:13 am Reply with quote
Would you guys just get it over with and make this whole site a social justice blog? Those are really the only articles that get comments anyway. Those, and your reviews that bash the most popular shows of the year to get everyone all raged out.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 2:26 am Reply with quote
Blarg Monster wrote:
Would you guys just get it over with and make this whole site a social justice blog? Those are really the only articles that get comments anyway. Those, and your reviews that bash the most popular shows of the year to get everyone all raged out.

Uh, what? Did you miss the reviewer's post about how they don't mind incest stories? Aside from brief off-topic discussions on the definition of feminism and the apparent moral downfall of the industry, we are discussing why we dislike (or in some cases, like) the ending--it squicks some people out, it goes against established characterization, it's not handled in the best of ways, it does a complete 180 on the tone of the first half of the series, etc.
TrailOfDead

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 8:09 am Reply with quote
Blarg Monster wrote:

alternatively, what if fans (not just anime fans but pretty much all of geekdom - gamers, comic nerds, obsessive disney people, whatever) stopped acting like such entitled little shits and realized that it's not anybody's job to cater to or validate their tastes
gilg4mesh

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 9:40 am Reply with quote
After Usagi Drop's manga was ended, I didn't understand why people was raging (I didn't tho, I didn't even surprised at that development...). I thought because of the norm, value, and its friends, but I was confused much, because there's so much manga that is more distorted...

But after reading some comments here, seems that ain't the reason... Seems more like, how the manga, that at first seems to give premise of a single parent raising a child, a cute slice of life of them, developed in a way that betraying the reason and expectation owned by majority of people that read it.

Like, I read shounen manga then found strong BL subtext? Felt so betrayed... "I didn't read this for this!"... Nah, if it's that's feeling, then I understand...
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 10:14 am Reply with quote
azabaro wrote:
Bunny Drop is one of the rare examples of a story where the source material isn't as good as its adaptations to other media, if only because the adaptations know when to end.

Well said.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 11:44 am Reply with quote
st_owly wrote:
^ Daikiichi didn't groom Rin at all. It was her who pressured him. He agreed to marry her (rather reluctantly) , and only once she'd finished high school.
Not reluctantly enough. Prosecution rests M'lard. Jury to consider their verdict.
Eisenmann V

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 5:52 pm Reply with quote
I'd be interested to hear what people would think of this if the roles were flipped: A little boy grows up to have a baby with his adoptive mother figure. Maybe then people might admit how emotionally unhealthy the situation is for the characters, what with the prevalence of the Oedipus complex.
Agent355

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 11:22 pm Reply with quote
gilg4mesh wrote:

Like, I read shounen manga then found strong BL subtext? Felt so betrayed... "I didn't read this for this!"... Nah, if it's that's feeling, then I understand...

That's a pretty good comparison, actually. If Naruto and Sasuke actually end up marrying each other at the end, I'm sure some fans'll be thrilled while others...not as much. Even though they kissed in one of the first episodes of the anime, so it wouldn't be out of nowhere. Laughing

Just curious, what shonen manga with "strong BL subtext" are you referring to?
babbo

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 12:24 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
I think there are people who are just fans of taboo. It doesn't really matter how it's executed or if the story's any good, it only matters if it's "shocking" or against socially accepted attitudes.

Then they can totally blow your mind by how open-minded they are.

Just like people who are fans of a show no matter how crappy the rotoscoping is. Silly hipsters Neutral
One-Eye

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 3:23 am Reply with quote
babbo wrote:
Zac wrote:
I think there are people who are just fans of taboo. It doesn't really matter how it's executed or if the story's any good, it only matters if it's "shocking" or against socially accepted attitudes.

Then they can totally blow your mind by how open-minded they are.

Just like people who are fans of a show no matter how crappy the rotoscoping is. Silly hipsters Neutral

Yea, cause rotoscoping is "shocking" and "against socially accepted attitudes". Its a taboo equivalent to incest! Yea... Rolling Eyes
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 3:54 am Reply with quote
I think the time is ripe for the "incest" version of a School Days.

Like, it's your standard incest harem anime, call it "Sister Days" where there's one brother and he's hounded by his hot sisters and eventually it's implied they get together.

And in the last episode the police show up, arrest the parents for abandonment, put each of the children forcibly in separate foster homes, and they're all forced into counselling.
Nice Boat indeed.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 7:02 am Reply with quote
Shadowrun20XX wrote:
You otaku are up for review. This should be a desensitized issue by now. The manga was excellent and the anime was a fun "look" at the manga.

You misspelled "excrement". How'd that happen?

Koi Kaze made me think; I thought the strongest scene was after they had sex and Nanoka wonders if they should commit suicide, perhaps half jokingly, and Saeki breaks down in tears. Nobody meant it to happen but nobody could quite stop it either... actually, Chidori could have who played the same role as Kouki should have; Ironically, while one was supportive of an incest relationship, the other was disgusted yet both ended up having the same effect on the outcome.

In Bunny Drop there's a scene where Rin talks to Daikichi about marrying him and pats his bed in anticipation of "things to come"; That sickened me.

People don't seem to see the problem with this series is a matter of fantasy versus reality. Rin is not the fairy tale princess who picks her suitor out of all the men in the realm, her choice being the one she thinks is the most manly, she's the adopted daughter of the guy she wants to screw. And that guy does not care either way. The issue's not about Rin and her messed up teenage mind, it's the fully aware and fully responsible adult male who's at fault.

If he intended to marry her from the beginning, I would have been fine with that {Ha ha, Lolita}. If he fought her and his emotions every step of the way, that would have been good {Time Enough for Love}. But Daikichi wanted to make her happy - as any father would.

Note: Marrying her makes no sense as a solution. Adopting her? That would have worked and I still don't see what stopped him. "That woman who wants nothing to do with the child that came out of her body has a point about raising her." should not have been Daikichi's answer.

Because she doesn't have a point and she never did. The fact that she's something of an author avatar is just the icing on the cake.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8