• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin Anime's Staff, Key Visual Unveiled

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pokenatic

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Fluwm wrote:
4x 90 minute episodes would be too little time, I think. But 4x 120 minute episodes might be enough--or 180 minutes. (That would be approximate to 24 or 36 televised episodes, respectively--a 90 minute movie would be equivalent to 18, and a Unicorn-style 50 minute runtime 10 episodes, by the way).

Most of the Gundam compilation movies have been terrible, mostly because there was too much content to fit into too few movies--squeezing Turn A, for example, into 2 movies was doomed to fail from the start. The only compilation movies that really worked were the original Mobile Suit Gundam compilation movies and the Zeta Gundam trilogy.

The Zeta Gundam movies were only 90 minutes long, each, so they compressed the story of a 50-episode series into the equivalent of 13.5 episodes--roughly 1/4 the size.

120 minutes per film is definitely optimistic and 180 minutes is pure wish fulfillment. On the other hand, if the Zeta trilogy did manage to work with 270 minutes, Origins might be able to work.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 3:35 pm Reply with quote
unitmikey wrote:
I'm assuming this is going to be a theatrical release of what really should be considered OVA's.

That is the trend these days, to run a series theatrically without each film breaking the bank. I guess it's kind of teetering on the border of OVA, but they're short theatrical productions since I considered OVAs to be something that's released via home video first with no option to view it elsewhere.

It's only when you have a setup like Yamato 2199, which was produced as 26 separate episodes (with openings, endings, and next episode previews) and then had a few episodes combined and shown theatrically at a time where things get weird.

On the whole runtime issue, movie time and TV time run differently. To work as a film that tells a well paced and coherent story, things must be modified to run within the usual 2 hour allotment, instead of nice concise chunks that TV episodes can dish out. That's why compilations or movie reinterpretations almost never work on their own unless they wildly retool the story, the characters, and the maybe even the world setup. I recently saw that All Star Superman movie and its a good example of what absolutely feels like episodes just mashed together to try to produce a film that lasts long enough to not make purchasers feel cheated, it doesn't really work because it stops, starts, stops, starts. I get that was the point, hence the title, but that's usually how these compilations of longer ideas feel.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 4:07 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
It's only when you have a setup like Yamato 2199, which was produced as 26 separate episodes (with openings, endings, and next episode previews) and then had a few episodes combined and shown theatrically at a time where things get weird.

On the whole runtime issue, movie time and TV time run differently. To work as a film that tells a well paced and coherent story, things must be modified to run within the usual 2 hour allotment, instead of nice concise chunks that TV episodes can dish out. That's why compilations or movie reinterpretations almost never work on their own unless they wildly retool the story, the characters, and the maybe even the world setup.

Speaking of Yamato 2199, what do you about the planned compilation movie of the series? I am skeptical about whether it is going to work as a movie, but I got excited this morning one I saw it listed on amazon.co.jp.

According to the product's site, the compilation movie will have a running time of 150 minutes; that seems like an okay length to put together something that could make sense and have a good pace.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 4:56 pm Reply with quote
I don't see a reason for it to exist, and I'm sure producers tend not to either beyond extra revenue from an already finished product. That's is why they usually add snippets of new scenes that were created for the express purpose of a compilation movie to not be entirely irrelevant. But like hell if I'm going to watch a whole compilation film for just a few short minutes of new footage. Hopefully someone does the right thing and releases a video file of just that original content.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 5:05 pm Reply with quote
I can imagine the new Yamato compilation will be much like the original Yamato compilation. More of a "best of".
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
reanimator

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 7:07 pm Reply with quote
As long as Gundam: Origin is made like Gundam UC in terms of format, I would watch the show. I watched Gundam UC in a theater in San Francisco and I really like the visuals and was happy that I've got the same experience as Japanese fans.

Also, I like the fact that Yoshikazu Yasuhiko's character designs get used again and staffing is pretty good. I'm a fan of Gundam 0083, so I'm glad that Takashi Imanishi is directing show. Chief Animation director Hiroyuki Nishimura is great animator, so I'm happy with studio's choice.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 7:29 pm Reply with quote
To be completely honest, I don't have any complaints, concerns, words of joy or praise to give to the staff, considering they've already got it easy with such a great Gundam manga to adapt into animation.

The Origin is incredibly cinematic and stands on its own, including these early parts of the flashback narrative. As long as they don't even try to stray too far from what's already available in print form, this should be a piece of cake.

Regarding the use of 3DCG for the robots, I'm largely indifferent. 2D can be better, given an Unicorn-size budget, but I don't have a huge issue with trying something else from time to time. Perhaps seeing the final product will change my mind in either direction.
Pokenatic

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 7:35 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure what to say about the fact that I got a very insulting PM just because I said I was slightly disappointed over the fact that Origin is not a TV series. Welp, I'll be off trying to find out how I'm supposed to report that.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Majin Tenshi

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 7:48 pm Reply with quote
I think that there is an important question here, is Shuuchi Ikeda playing the old version of Char ? I guess it's for sure but I didn't see anything regarding the cast.

I also would have preferred a complete tv series for origin but I'll take what they made. And they could serve as a start of another movies/tv/ova sequels.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 8:06 pm Reply with quote
reanimator wrote:
As long as Gundam: Origin is made like Gundam UC in terms of format, I would watch the show. I watched Gundam UC in a theater in San Francisco and I really like the visuals and was happy that I've got the same experience as Japanese fans.

Also, I like the fact that Yoshikazu Yasuhiko's character designs get used again and staffing is pretty good. I'm a fan of Gundam 0083, so I'm glad that Takashi Imanishi is directing show. Chief Animation director Hiroyuki Nishimura is great animator, so I'm happy with studio's choice.

Agreed, I would have been totally loved a full series so they could adapt the whole thing (even stuff we've seen before), but if they do it like Unicorn level, it'll still be amazing to watch for it's 4-part run.
LinkTSwordmaster

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 9:30 pm Reply with quote
I'm enough of a fangirl for Char, but Haman Karn better be in there somewhere (I've not even heard of the manga for this, so I don't know).

I hope we also see a Crossbone series in the future too~
WeirDiE_InC

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 10:03 pm Reply with quote
I don't mind that it's not a full series as long as it covers previously unanimated events in decent depth.
*coughBritish&Loumcough*
WeskerGriff

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 12:38 am Reply with quote
LinkTSwordmaster wrote:
I'm enough of a fangirl for Char, but Haman Karn better be in there somewhere (I've not even heard of the manga for this, so I don't know).

I hope we also see a Crossbone series in the future too~

You won't be seeing Haman in this series, at least not in the first episode considering she's only one year old in UC 0068.
WeskerGriff

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 12:47 am Reply with quote
Extremely excited about this news! The designs look great and I'm glad to even have something animated from the Origin. The quality of the episodes will probably be just as good, if not better than UC. Also worth noting is that if the series is very successful (which I don't see how it can't be) maybe Sunrise will throw us another episode, like they did with UC. Remember that Unicorn was only suppose to be six episodes, until they decided to make another, because of the tremendous success it had.
WeskerGriff

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 12:51 am Reply with quote
WeirDiE_InC wrote:
I don't mind that it's not a full series as long as it covers previously unanimated events in decent depth.
*coughBritish&Loumcough*

MS Igloo THOYW covered the Battle of Loum in their first episode. Granted, it was only a very small portion of the battle (which is widely known to be the largest space battle in the history of Gundam) it did touch on it some. Not sure if you've seen that series. It had a very limited release here in the States from the now debunked Bandai Visual USA.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3