• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz Licenses Original Sailor Moon Anime Franchise

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
merr

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 10:07 am Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
well i am not so sure. I know about the anime expo,but unless i am wrong there was some anime series that was dubbed by a union studio called AX production in the LA area.

There is no such company. Even if there were, it's clear from the article that AX refers to the convention where the new cast will be announced, not a production company.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 10:24 am Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:

well i am not so sure. I know about the anime expo,but unless i am wrong there was some anime series that was dubbed by a union studio called AX production in the LA area.

There should be absolutely no confusion about this. There is no studio that dubs anime that's called "AX Production".

None. It does not exist. The end.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 1:10 pm Reply with quote
freezespell wrote:
Somebody had given their predictions as to who would voice the characters, I think I'll try to do the same.

Usagi: Laura Bailey
Ami: Stephanie Sheh
Rei: Kate Higgins
Makoto: Michelle Ruff
Minako: Kari Wahlgren
Mamoru: Johnny Yong Bosch
Luna: Karen Strassman (with English accent)
Artemis: either Yuri Lowenthal, Vic Mignogna, or Kyle Hebert

I really don't have any predictions for the rest of the characters, but the fact that Naoko Takeuchi herself will have a major influence in the decision, IMO, is an extremely big gamble on Viz's part. Maybe they know something I don't.

No. No. No... Absolutely no. Just...... No. Luna isn't a British nanny. She's not a British nanny in the original. Luna is even supposed to be slightly YOUNGER than Usagi. End of story.

-
Also, upon watching the episodes Viz got up on Hulu, they actually did, sort of, technically edit one of the episodes... Episode 4, there was a huge obvious mistake that's been present in every release until now (Including Japanese). It was a random 2 second clip from Sailor Moon's transformation that appeared in the middle of her fighting the guys with the tiaras. It happens at about 20:20 where one of the guys is about to hit her with a dumbbell. In this release, they cut that part out and sort of... made the scene pan slightly? But I guess it's more of correcting the mistake, rather than an actual edit. I don't really mind it.
freezespell

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 1:30 pm Reply with quote
^That's just nostalgia talking. Razz
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 2:14 pm Reply with quote
Well, might as well say this now that it is official:

Sailor Moon. Is. Licensed. Yay! Smile

Justin, I know you're hiding here somewhere! Come on out and tell us that the stars have aligned! Be a good sport!
rainbowrabbit

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 3:22 pm Reply with quote
#810558 wrote:
Episode 4, there was a huge obvious mistake that's been present in every release until now (Including Japanese). It was a random 2 second clip from Sailor Moon's transformation that appeared in the middle of her fighting the guys with the tiaras. It happens at about 20:20 where one of the guys is about to hit her with a dumbbell. In this release, they cut that part out and sort of... made the scene pan slightly? But I guess it's more of correcting the mistake, rather than an actual edit. I don't really mind it.

I didn't realize that was considered a mistake. I always figured the staff intentionally added those few frames to cut corners and didn't think viewers would really notice.

KabaKabaFruit wrote:
Justin, I know you're hiding here somewhere! Come on out and tell us that the stars have aligned! Be a good sport!

I considered pointing that out myself. I mean, damn. He was like, "Abandon all hope." But I decided there was no point in gloating. We got what we wanted and that's what really matters.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 3:26 pm Reply with quote
I knew this was gonna happen it was just a matter of time before the announcement came. I mean you don't just reboot the 20th anniversary without bringing the old series back. It's been years since the old series had seen the light of day. So I'm glad. We can finally pick this up. I had been wanting to pick this up for the library for years but it had not only been discontinued after a couple of re-releases but I didn't have the power I have now to purchase it. So I'll be looking forward. I wonder how they will be releasing the series? That's what I'm waiting on. But in the meantime, I'm gonna try and catch the few episodes that are up. I guess my summers at work won't be too boring.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 3:50 pm Reply with quote
rainbowrabbit wrote:
I considered pointing that out myself. I mean, damn. He was like, "Abandon all hope." But I decided there was no point in gloating. We got what we wanted and that's what really matters.

For the record, I never gave up hope because I'm a firm believer in the notion that all things work out in the end. Wink Just wanted to see if Justin was willing to come out and eat humble pie like a man. Smile No pressure to him though.

Last edited by KabaKabaFruit on Mon May 19, 2014 3:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
NJ_

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
I wonder how they will be releasing the series? That's what I'm waiting on. But in the meantime, I'm gonna try and catch the few episodes that are up. I guess my summers at work won't be too boring.

They're releasing the series in half-season sets. The first two will have 23 episodes each. No idea on the movies & specials though.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 4:00 pm Reply with quote
23 episodes?

That...should put Season 1's first half at the end of the Nephrite arc, which, to me, is pretty fitting.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 4:40 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
Chrno2 wrote:
I wonder how they will be releasing the series? That's what I'm waiting on. But in the meantime, I'm gonna try and catch the few episodes that are up. I guess my summers at work won't be too boring.

They're releasing the series in half-season sets. The first two will have 23 episodes each. No idea on the movies & specials though.

Thanks NJ_, for that info. Wink 23 episodes, not bad if it completes an arc that's good enough. So I'll keep an eye on that. Hopefully it will be available before the fall semester. We have all the books so it will be complete tie in. Now the collection can be complete with Utena and now SAILOR MOOOOON!!! I know this will get a lot of circulation.
NJ_

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 4:58 pm Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
23 episodes?

That...should put Season 1's first half at the end of the Nephrite arc, which, to me, is pretty fitting.

I just checked and the end of that arc is at 24 so we're looking at a cliffhanger here.
rainbowrabbit

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 11:30 pm Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
rainbowrabbit wrote:

For the record, I never gave up hope because I'm a firm believer in the notion that all things work out in the end. Wink Just wanted to see if Justin was willing to come out and eat humble pie like a man. Smile No pressure to him though.

I never gave up hope either. I've said over and over it's coming back. Just be patient. It's too profitable of a franchise to stay gone. As for Justin, we didn't hear anything from him when the manga came back and I doubt we'll hear anything now. People usually don't like to admit when they're wrong.

On to another subject, I just checked out Linda Ballantyne's Twitter out of curiosity. Not that any of us are surprised, she hasn't been contacted about taking part in the redub. But I found her tweet interesting.

https://twitter.com/LABallantyne/status/468186633754669056

"I know we have not been asked as of yet and I'm not holding my breath."

Who is she referring to when she says "we?" Did the entire main dub cast confirm to her they weren't contacted either? If this whole "wait and see" means Viz got some of the DiC/CWi cast back, then I can be patient and wait for the big reveal. But if that's not the case and they got all new voice actors, it's not really fair to psyche us out.

BTW Don't count on Vince Corazza since he lives in New York.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 12:42 am Reply with quote
NeoStrayCat wrote:
^Well, it looks like its kept in on the stream though (Hulu), they did translate signs and stuff, and the Next Ep. Preview/Eyecatch is there. (Though, the op/en isn't subtitled in En., but at least still in JP text.)

So I wouldn't worry about it. Though, more or less, it may differ in the Home Video releases.
That is good to hear, though obviously I'm hoping that the songs will be translated by the time the discs roll around. (And having the JP text is no accomplishment of Viz's, since it would've been hardcoded in the Japanese video to begin with.) Surely if the old "garbage" releases can get the song lyric translation approvals done, the modern ultra-shiny release can do the same thing.
Key

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 1:03 am Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
23 episodes?

I just checked and the end of that arc is at 24 so we're looking at a cliffhanger here.

When Ms. Ingram was asked about this in the panels, she did admit that, while they would do their best to break the sets in appropriate place, cliffhanger breaks in one or two of the seasons might be unavoidable.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 13 of 15