• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Exclusive Interview: Viz Media's Charlene Ingram and Josh Lopez on Sailor Moon

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 4:13 pm Reply with quote
zeo1fan wrote:
Speaking as someone who's only seen the first couple episodes, how is Korra anti-feminine, and what traits do you class as being feminine and masculine?

The way she acts, talks, and looks. She's aggressive, rude, thuggish, essentially plays up the 'man with boobs' trope. The way she talks down to other females in the show for being 'girly', especially Asami whom she essentially hates until she displays interest in a traditionally masculine pastime: cars and drag racing. Up until then, Korra disrespects her, is rude to her, is hostile, insults her, assuming the worst of her, all when Asami has just been nice to her. It takes until Asami to do something unfeminine for Korra to even bother with her because her doing feminine things disgusted her.

This would be all well and good if the show criticized Korra for this, but they don't. The way it's executed tells us that the moral isn't don't judge a book by it's cover, it's don't judge a book by it's flower pattern cover because it might have blood and murder inside. Though as I mentioned, given the show's demographic is little boys, they also would probably think the same way about doing feminine things so having Korra be a self insert for them to play up the whole 'ew, cooties' thing is logical from a business standpoint. I doubt there's any malice behind it, just marketing.

-Stuart Smith
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 7:11 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
I doubt Sailor Moon had the same budget. Josh probably got a box of video tapes, not cans of film reels.

Why would Sailor Moon alone be the single anime singled out from having a 16mm negative? Every other anime was produced like that at the time, or at least the overwhelming supermajority of them. It's the same bullshit along the lines of "but Sailor Moon is from 1992, no other anime that old has ever been restored before! We at Viz are doing the impossible!" Sure Viz likely got old shitty tapes, but where are the reels of physical film? Probably destroyed.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Regardless of how the show was made, or what materials still are available, Viz has to work with what they are given. I am sure they will do the best job they know how in restoring and recording the show.

This will likely involve dozens if not hundreds of decisions, many of which will be made in Japan with out any control by Viz. Each decision will delight some and enrage others. There is no way they can win except to put out the best product they are allowed to. I'm sure that no matter what they do that a vocal minority will complain bitterly, but those people always do.

If in a couple of years, the studio "finds" a superior copy to issue in Japan, that is hardly the fault of Viz.
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 11:13 pm Reply with quote
@StuartSmith: The modern Disney & Nick live action programming is hardly something good for young girls or kids in general to be watching it, the characters are all extremely poorly written & 1 dimensional, any moral it tries to teach gets lost in their bad writing. And every single character is based on overused tropes & cliches with out any twist or unique touch, this creates limited views on what it means to be a man/woman. Give me even the worst cartoons & anime over those horrid Tweencoms anyday. They may not be as bad as those gawd aweful reality TV shows on MTV, TLC & the like, but they are still pretty bad.

Getting back on topic however....

Seems like they are putting a lot of effort into the sailor moon remaster/release, looking forward to it!!
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 11:34 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
This will likely involve dozens if not hundreds of decisions, many of which will be made in Japan with out any control by Viz. Each decision will delight some and enrage others. There is no way they can win except to put out the best product they are allowed to. I'm sure that no matter what they do that a vocal minority will complain bitterly, but those people always do.

The vocal minorities should take into consideration that the show has been licensed and will be released in the best possible fashion that Viz can make it. Period.

I've had issues with Viz in the past but as far as Sailor Moon is concerned, I have every reason to believe that they won't screw around with this release and ensure that it will meet the interests of the majority. We honestly should be happy about that.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 5:21 am Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:

The way she acts, talks, and looks. She's aggressive, rude, thuggish, essentially plays up the 'man with boobs' trope. The way she talks down to other females in the show for being 'girly', especially Asami whom she essentially hates until she displays interest in a traditionally masculine pastime: cars and drag racing. Up until then, Korra disrespects her, is rude to her, is hostile, insults her, assuming the worst of her, all when Asami has just been nice to her. It takes until Asami to do something unfeminine for Korra to even bother with her because her doing feminine things disgusted her.

This would be all well and good if the show criticized Korra for this, but they don't. The way it's executed tells us that the moral isn't don't judge a book by it's cover, it's don't judge a book by it's flower pattern cover because it might have blood and murder inside. Though as I mentioned, given the show's demographic is little boys, they also would probably think the same way about doing feminine things so having Korra be a self insert for them to play up the whole 'ew, cooties' thing is logical from a business standpoint. I doubt there's any malice behind it, just marketing.

Well, a cultural relativist could say that's what N. America holds as a standard, just like Japan holds Yamato Nadeshiko as their standard, and shouldn't be criticized for that.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 5:33 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
I doubt Sailor Moon had the same budget. Josh probably got a box of video tapes, not cans of film reels.

Why would Sailor Moon alone be the single anime singled out from having a 16mm negative? Every other anime was produced like that at the time, or at least the overwhelming supermajority of them. It's the same bullshit along the lines of "but Sailor Moon is from 1992, no other anime that old has ever been restored before! We at Viz are doing the impossible!" Sure Viz likely got old shitty tapes, but where are the reels of physical film? Probably destroyed.
I'm not doubting if SM was originally created on Film first after all that's how all anime was done right from the beginning, however digital technology was also in existence back in 1992 for a price and Toei had the money and purpose to invest in it then as working with film is still an expensive task. But no studio is going to give their only film master to another studio for whatever reason and it's posible that what Josh got was on HDCam which would be the obvious choice for a Blue Ray copy without actually having the film master if it exists at all. It would have only been destroyed by accident, or act of God, not by request.
BJWanlund

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 5:04 pm Reply with quote
I want to talk just a bit about how I had access to Toonami, because it is relevant to Sailor Moon somehow.

My parents were divorced early on. I lived with my mom and then I would go and spend time with my father every other weekend and most holidays. My mother didn't give me much in the way of access to things like Cartoon Network and Toonami, but my father did have access to it. So whenever I went down to my dad's, whenever I wasn't watching old game shows all the time on the Game Show Network (as the abject shell of its former self was called at that time), I would watch Toonami. But I watched Toonami kinda rarely, so I never had any chances to get into the rich and deep stories that all these anime did.

Now, regarding SM, I somewhat enjoyed watching it as a young lad, but that was the DiC/Cloverway dub. Now DIC as a company had completely fallen out of favor to me as a gigantic fan of classic (American) animation, and specifically the animation director Tex Avery. spoiler[You can imagine my seething rage every time I see the abject hackjob that was The Wacky World of Tex Avery anywhere... even at a freaking Pompeii exhibit...]

Now, as a fan of classic American animation, I am finding less and less reasons to hold out hope for anything at all. So, when Sailor Moon was recently announced as having finally been licensed again, that was basically the end of my interest in classic American animation for now, at least till our venerable American animation companies get their stuff together about some of these amazing classic cartoons that I absolutely love.

I got a chance to take a peek at the restoration they've got streaming on Hulu (and only a peek, thanks Hulu for being a serious pain in the butt as per usual), and I'll be honest, it looks absolutely GORGEOUS. I daresay it is even the gold standard for restorations of cartoons from that era, even for our American companies. Some restorations have better materials to work with, others not so much. But the best of the best in terms of restorations? This one's right up there. I am really happy Viz has it and is taking such great pains to not screw this up.

I'm so tired of fuzzy releases of just the materials they have on hand (*cough* just about every Disney release from that era *cough*) that I am willing to save however much money they want us to cough up for this. I may even double dip to show my support for these gorgeous-looking remasters, and I so rarely do that anymore.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Page 10 of 10