• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Exclusive Interview: Viz Media's Charlene Ingram and Josh Lopez on Sailor Moon

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 12:40 pm Reply with quote
Sevenfeet wrote:
As time went on, I grew to appreciate the performances. This was not a cheap fan dub effort since the idea was to pitch this to independent TV stations looking for kids programming. Katie Griffin's Mars and Susan Roman's Jupiter reminded me a lot of older, more mature versions of Peanuts characters Lucy and Peppermint Patty, respectively. I've always loved Stephanie Morganstern's Venus although it's hard for me to explain why. Sailor V was the original prototype character of the manga which led to this series, and the Venus characterization is less ditzy and all over the place than Sailor Moon, sort of the kind of performance you get from someone who had been being a Sailor Senshi longer than anyone else. Karen Bernstein pretty much nailed Mercury from the beginning.

As for Sailor Moon herself, the biggest compliment I can give Terri Hawkes is that she began with the problem of continuing after Tracy Moore's original characterization and eventually made it her own as the episodes progressed. She's my favorite Sailor Moon actress because of that. All of the Tuxedo Mask actors are interchangeable to me though some were better at it than others. I never liked either of the "Rini" performances...my opinion was that they should have found an actual child actor. Finally, I think the one big casting mistake was Jill Frappier's Luna. I think Frappier is a great performer, but I wouldn't have chosen a "Angela Lansbury" type voice for Luna. It makes you think that she's very old, and yes I know that she was supposed to come off as the mature voice of reason in the series...very matronly. But the voice characterization comes off as someone around 60 years old, versus say Julie Andrews' Mary Poppins character (she was 28 during filming).

Honestly, I wouldn't mind seeing some of all of major characters voiced by their original Vas (assuming age doesn't make that impractical). It's a level of comfort since those English language voices are what most of us have known for 15 years. I have no problem correcting the editorial decisions of the past (name changes, sex changes, editing for mature content, etc). But new actors or new actors who come completely with new characterizations across the board may take some getting used to. I'm sure that decision made for some spirited debate around Viz. We'll see what they decided soon enough.

I agree that some of the original voices WERE very good. The DiC dubbed episodes actually had a fairly large budget, and the voice acting reminded me of a western cartoon (makes sense, since many of the voice actors had experience doing cartoon-work. Tara Strong even did additional voices), although S and SuperS had pretty bad voice acting when the dubbing got rushed, some cast members still stood out. Katie Griffin and Susan Roman were probably my favorites in the whole cast, but I also really enjoyed Tracey Moore, Karen Bernstein, Emilie Barlow (as Venus, although her Mars was good too), Vince Corazza, Stephanie Beard, and Ron Rubin. Terri Hawkes, Linda Ballantyne, Liza Balkan, Stephanie Morgenstern, and Tracey Hoyt? Not so much. Ballantyne at least had a very cheerful voice that I got used to, but both her and Hawkes just sounded far too mature for Usagi. Tracey Moore had a innocent quality to her voice that sounded carefree, and very youthful. It was a damn shame she only had 13 episodes with the character. She was awesome, and really the only great voice the character had.

I hope the new dub doesn't fall into the trap that so many other dubs have had lately: they all sound the same. Complain about the old dub all you want, but if you closed your eyes, you could still tell who was talking. So many English dubs today have a serious problem about casting voices that hardly sound distinguishable from one another. This is one problem I had with the Madoka Magica dub. All the girls sounded the same.

I will be hard to picture anyone other than Katie Griffin or Susan Roman as Mars or Jupiter, but I'm hoping their new actresses give it their all and are just as memorable!
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Ojamajo LimePie wrote:
Toei isn't known for treating their negatives well. I might even go as far as saying they're infamous for poor preservation. Who knows if usable negatives still exist for Sailor Moon.

Toei isn't know for treating anything well. If you ever get the chance to visit their museum, go. I went in 2008 and saw lots of Sailor Moon artwork and toys placed in a glass shelf, under a bright sunny window. All the colors on them had been faded and the artwork was destroyed. They also cut up artwork to make a collage to hang up in one of the rooms. It was truly a disappointing experience, and as someone who collects Sailor Moon cels as a hobby, I left the museum in tears. It was one of the very few times I've even thought that, as a collector, I'm doing a service to fans by preserving the artwork.

Toei uses cheap ink and paint, so what this means is that the colors do not hold up well. Specifically, the outliner Toei uses turns brown over time. This leads me to also believe that Toei used the cheapest film possible when originally recording the series and that, if the masters do exist, they're probably in such a condition where they would largely be unusable. Japan is very humid in the summer and this can really impact film. Unless Toei stored the originals properly, I doubt they're still around. And that probably explains the difficulty Viz is having with its picture quality.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Cutiebunny wrote:

Toei isn't know for treating anything well. If you ever get the chance to visit their museum, go. I went in 2008 and saw lots of Sailor Moon artwork and toys placed in a glass shelf, under a bright sunny window. All the colors on them had been faded and the artwork was destroyed. They also cut up artwork to make a collage to hang up in one of the rooms. It was truly a disappointing experience, and as someone who collects Sailor Moon cels as a hobby, I left the museum in tears. It was one of the very few times I've even thought that, as a collector, I'm doing a service to fans by preserving the artwork.

Toei uses cheap ink and paint, so what this means is that the colors do not hold up well. Specifically, the outliner Toei uses turns brown over time. This leads me to also believe that Toei used the cheapest film possible when originally recording the series and that, if the masters do exist, they're probably in such a condition where they would largely be unusable. Japan is very humid in the summer and this can really impact film. Unless Toei stored the originals properly, I doubt they're still around. And that probably explains the difficulty Viz is having with its picture quality.
Toei Douga has been in existance in one form , or another since before the Second World War under different names, but basically the same people up until the early 70's. If it weren't for Toei Douga Japanese anime would not be what it is today as just about every person that has ever been involved in animation in Japan started their careers at Toei. It wasn't called "Toei University" as an inside joke for nothing. Knowing this I doubt they would not know that master material should not be stored in conditions that would expose it to the outside environment. Besides I will hazard a guess that SM was done on video tape, not film too. Viz isn't "having problems" with picture quality because of storage errors. it's because those pictures were the best that could be produced back then which now look dated in comparison. There just wasn't the digital technology that was cheap enough to warrant using on a TV series that was just good enough for 4:3 analogue CRT teles back then.
rainbowrabbit

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 7:57 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
rainbowrabbit wrote:
At the risk of getting another rude response from a certain arrogant patronizing ANN staff member, I'm now wondering about how the new dub will handle certain terms. Like if "odango" will be changed to "dumpling." Or if characters like Mamoru will keep his "Mamo-chan" nickname. I loved when Mamoru called Usagi "Usako." It was cute. I wouldn't mind seeing that one kept in the new dub.

Nothing I said to you was rude in the slightest. Good lord.

You absolutely were rude. You responded with a dismissive "I'm right, you're wrong." comment, which was totally uncalled for. (That's anime fans for you.) I've had my say and from now on, I'll just be sure to avoid you at all costs. Starting with this particular thread. I'm out. *z snap*
FireMadeFlesh

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 8:23 pm Reply with quote
Reading this interview, I'm really excited! I feel like this show is in good hands. So much so, it feels like 1995 all over again! I had no idea what I was watching when I first saw Sailor Moon in syndication on a summer visit to my grandmother's house that year. I awoke to that theme song, watched the episode, & all I knew, it was silly yet fascinating & I was hooked. Fast forward a couple years & its on USA Network & I was able to tape a good portion of what they aired (summer 1997)--which I still have by the way! Fast forward another year & now Toonami is airing it with their own unique style & flare for the dramatic.

That's probably what I'll miss the most is Toonami SLAYING the promotion for this show; most of which have been remastered & is available through SlimD716's YouTube channel. Those Joe Boyd Vigil tracks (and my all-time fave..D.O.D's 1,2,3,4) & that crafty editing invigorated a new energy into the show without trying to be "cool." It just was.

At any rate, this year is gonna be the year I've waited for. I can't wait to see what Viz Media has done with Sailor Moon & I'm so pumped for the Sailor Moon Crystal premiere. You don't usually get a triple dose of things to go fanboy crazy over, but with the release of the original/uncut episodes & specials airing & coming to Blu ray, & the new series, etc...what's not to love? Right next to A-ko, B-ko, & C-ko, Usagi/Serena & her team are among my favorite schoolgirls.

For the first time in a long time, I'm truly excited about anime again. Very Happy

Last edited by FireMadeFlesh on Sun May 18, 2014 8:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 8:58 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
I doubt they would not know that master material should not be stored in conditions that would expose it to the outside environment. Besides I will hazard a guess that SM was done on video tape, not film too.

Has any anime, ever, been recorded straight from cel onto video? It's not exactly designed for frame-by-frame capture.
People have original cels to trade because the studios ]got rid of them. Other materials aren't always treated much better and, even with the best of intentions, may not have held up well (remember how much time, money and effort they had to spend restoring the negatives for even something huge like Star Wars?)

Last edited by Shiroi Hane on Mon May 19, 2014 1:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 9:54 pm Reply with quote
rainbowrabbit wrote:

You absolutely were rude. You responded with a dismissive "I'm right, you're wrong." comment, which was totally uncalled for. (That's anime fans for you.) I've had my say and from now on, I'll just be sure to avoid you at all costs. Starting with this particular thread. I'm out. *z snap*

He didn't say anything that was rude. Try to read it again.

Zac wrote:

Maybe this isn't common knowledge or something but Takeuchi controls Sailor Moon with an iron fist. There is nothing in that Kodansha release that she didn't approve, I can guarantee you that.

He's right, not a a lot of people really knew the logistics unless they've been following it for a while. But there are articles and such in which Takeuchi had always had issues with Toei Animation and their handling of the anime. "Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon" was the name of the live action series Takeuchi was heavily involved in, and if you've seen the latest musicals, it has been renamed to "Guardian," as well as the last 2 reprints of the manga in Japan.

rainbowrabbit wrote:

I'm fully aware of that. But those books also contained translations such as "Spark Ring Wide Pressure" and "Champion of justice." There was also censorship at times. So we don't really know the extent of what was approved by her. Can you offer proof that she specifically said she approved "guardian" in the rerelease?

Are you talking about the first print from TokyoPop? The new releases are uncensored and are by Kodansha. If you get a chance to go to a bookstore, you should probably check them out. I think it's been over a year since the second edition prints are in America. Manga is rarely censored now, unless it's directed towards a specific age group, like Pokemon.

I would have suggested to go to Takeuchi's blog, but, it would be useless if you can't read Japanese. In addition, eh...I think the site got updated.

Zac wrote:

If 15 years worth of stories about Takeuchi's legendarily tight leash on this franchise ain't enough proof for you then fine, but that's how it is and how it's always been. Viz is sending stuff for this release directly to her for approval, as is stated in the interview.

Basically, he's just saying that it was in the interview, but...I dunno, If it really bothers you that much, rainbowrabbit, perhaps tweet to Viz Media or something.

If anyone that was rude, it was you.

rainbowrabbit wrote:
(That's anime fans for you.)

What the hell is that supposed to mean? D:
Sevenfeet

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 10:06 pm Reply with quote
FireMadeFlesh wrote:
Right next to A-ko, B-ko, & C-ko, Usagi/Serena & her team are among my favorite schoolgirls.

Agreed. And that's dating both of us! Smile
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 10:13 pm Reply with quote
It's been a while since I've heard of A-Ko.

I watched again last year. Love, love love!
LUNI_TUNZ

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 11:32 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Phibby"]
LUNI_TUNZ wrote:
Quote:
One of the things about the previous dub is that there were so many cast changes throughout that there's no one Sailor Moon, there's almost no "one" of anybody.
And no, Moon herself had three different English VAs: Tracey Moore for dub eps 1-11, 15, and 21; Terri Hawkes for eps 12-14, 16-20, 22-82, and the movies; and Linda Ballantyne for eps 83+.

I was speaking figuratively.

I know Moon had 3 voice actors, but no one thinks of Tracey Moore's rather bland interpretation when you talk about Moon, and Linda Ballantyne was basically made to imitate Terri Hawkes' performance.

That whole bit was basically their attempt to quell expectations about people's favorite voice actors returning.
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 11:38 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
I doubt they would not know that master material should not be stored in conditions that would expose it to the outside environment. Besides I will hazard a guess that SM was done on video tape, not film too.

Has any anime, ever, been recorded straight from cel onto video? It's not exactly designed for frame-by-frame capture.
People have original cels to trade because the studios got rid of them. Other materials aren't always treated much better and, even with the best of intentions, may not have held up well (remember how much time, money and effort they had to spend restoring the negatives for even something huge like Star Wars?)

If Sailor Moon followed the same production process as DBZ, it was recorded on 16mm film then transferred onto Betacam master tapes for storage and distribution.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 11:46 pm Reply with quote
Ojamajo LimePie wrote:
If Sailor Moon followed the same production process as DBZ, it was recorded on 16mm film then transferred onto Betacam master tapes for storage and distribution.

What I can't believe is when people (including the Viz rep) use "but it's a 1992 anime!" as a defense for a godawful upscale, as if low budget 16mm TV anime that are even older haven't already had presentable BluRay releases.

"But it's a 1902 film!"
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/A-Trip-to-the-Moon-Blu-ray/36593/
isn't even an excuse. So it can only be lack of proper materials on which to work.
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 12:02 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Ojamajo LimePie wrote:

What I can't believe is when people (including the Viz rep) use "but it's a 1992 anime!" as a defense for a godawful upscale, as if low budget 16mm TV anime that are even older haven't already had presentable BluRay releases.

"But it's a 1902 film!"
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/A-Trip-to-the-Moon-Blu-ray/36593/
isn't even an excuse. So it can only be lack of proper materials on which to work.

I wish I could see whatever holes you're seeing. Laughing Because it honestly looks fine to me. I have about zero problems with them removing the grain, because it looks cleaner.
Not a smudge fan

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 12:12 am Reply with quote
zeo1fan wrote:
I have about zero problems with them removing the grain, because it looks cleaner.

Guess you would love the remastered Predator BD.

http://oi50.tinypic.com/96z5f7.jpg
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 12:21 am Reply with quote
Not a smudge fan wrote:
zeo1fan wrote:
I have about zero problems with them removing the grain, because it looks cleaner.

Guess you would love the remastered Predator BD.

http://oi50.tinypic.com/96z5f7.jpg

I'm not much a fan of AHNOLD, but thanks for the rec. Anime exclamation
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 6 of 10