• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Most Elegant Princes

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Levitz9

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 12:06 am Reply with quote
Oh, man, that Lumati... I've always been a Tuxedo Mask fan (see avatar), but that Lumati... wow. I want a Figma, a poster, and a signed autograph of the man.

No shame, only love.
jymmy

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 12:53 am Reply with quote
I think Medusa had the most slimy villainy, but out of her, Ragyo and Precia Testarossa, I felt the latter most strongly gave the impression of being a real mother and a stone-cold bitch at the same time. Ragyo was more a cool villain that happened to be a mother of cast members; Medusa was a definitely a creepy, manipulative piece of work, but Crona could have been anyone with an emotional dependence on her. Precia's actions, I felt, were really tied to her being a mother, if only spoiler[because of her relationship with Alicia, rather than Fate strictly]. I reckon Crona could have been any needy kid, but with Precia the family relationship was key, so I voted for her.

Touma wrote:
**EDIT: Actually, Crono is Medusa's son. I keep forgetting that he is a boy.

Most or all official translations use male pronouns for simplicity's sake, but Crona does not have a confirmed gender.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 7:00 am Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
I do not pay much attention to princes so I will not comment on this list.

In the new poll I had to vote for Medusa because she is literally a witch. And even if she was not she would still be a contender.
But it is difficult to choose between her and Precia Testarossa.
They both use their daughter** only as tools to achieve their own goals.
I am not familiar with most of the others.

**EDIT: Actually, Crono is Medusa's son. I keep forgetting that he is a boy.

not exactely. for one thing fate is an artificial clone of alicia which was why precia treated her like crap. also her goals was to bring her real daughter back to life. but yea definitely wont put her evil mother material. that honor belongs to medusa hands down.

However i definitely wont put either marianne or asuka's mom as evil material. just like precia i would put asuka's mom and precia in the crazy category. marianne is clearly in the stupid category.

Quote:
Endymion is the strong, dedicated type but he loses rank for his high susceptibility to being brainwashed and attacking his significant other or making out with his daughter.

i never heard of that about endymion anywhere in the anime or manga (coming from the tokopop version). especially the making out with his daughter part. if that actually happened then it would explain a lot why the whole series got severely edited back in the 90's other than the whole guys transforming into girls as well as haurka and michiru being lovers.

Tenbyakugon wrote:
Schneizel el Britannia easily should have been on this list.

I'm glad he's not as well as lelouch. though the prince from fushigi yushi definitely deserves to be on that list even though he is kinda clueless. as well as diao but number 7? Hardly.

though i wonder why Lin Yao wasnt included? i would have easily have him over sinbad.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Just Passing Through

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 7:36 am Reply with quote
I think of anime princes and the first one that springs to mind is Ayame Sohma.
Levitz9

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 9:03 am Reply with quote
Just Passing Through wrote:
I think of anime princes and the first one that springs to mind is Ayame Sohma.

I respectfully disagree: Ayame isn't a mere prince, he is the king! (Ha-ha-ha-ha-ha!)

Yuki's the prince, Tohru is the elegant princess, and Shigure is the so-and-so ("Alright!" Very Happy).

Kyo can be the pauper!
Little_Hawk

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 11:32 am Reply with quote
Pff, guys, please. The most elegant prince is obviously Vegeta.
Agent355

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 11:49 am Reply with quote
Ryuuki Shi for the win!

A week after Mother's Day, we're voting on *evil* mothers! Brilliant! I voted for Medusa. She's a literal witch, sure, but it's the way she abuses, manipulates and uses Chrona that strikes me as authentic. Chrona's reaction to her just seems so real--(s)he's insecure and unhappy within himself, and when dealing with Medusa, (s)he knows she's bad, but doesn't want to betray her. Medusa is a bit unrealistic in that she never seems to want a loving or reassuring response from Chrona. She is cold through and through--but she knows how to manipulate Chrona's needs for approval all too well.

Ragyo was a fabulous, over the top villain, who's status as mother of certain characters is used almost as an afterthought, establishing an assumed loyalty and some incesty, yuri fanservice. Also, hey, one of her three daughters was happy and loyal to the end!

There are so many bad fathers in anime that you could split the Father's Day poll into multiple lists-- abandoning dads (like Hoenheim from FMA & FMAB, and Dr. Jaeger from Attack on Titan) and evil, abusive dads (Gendo Ikari). Maybe we can have a poll for good, supportive dads, too.
Knight-Hart

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 2:51 pm Reply with quote
Even though he's not royalty, Tamaki Suoh fits the bill pretty well.
jr240483

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 9:16 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:

There are so many bad fathers in anime that you could split the Father's Day poll into multiple lists-- abandoning dads (like Hoenheim from FMA & FMAB, and Dr. Jaeger from Attack on Titan) and evil, abusive dads (Gendo Ikari). Maybe we can have a poll for good, supportive dads, too.

that would hardly be a contest. gendo would be number 1 hands down. number two would definitely be lelouch's father Charles Z Britannia. Highly doubt hoenheim would even crack the top five let alone on this list cause unlike those two, he definitely wasnt an all out bastard towards his sons. Nor was Eren's dad.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 10:41 am Reply with quote
That's why I'm saying you should do more than one Father's Day list or poll. Charles Zi Britania actually could give Gendo a run for his money in an "evil" list (I'm not a Code Geass fan, but that guy was a jerk). But who was more personally negligent? We don't know all the details about Eren's dad, but a good argument could be made against him based on speculation. Hoenheim just out and left his boys under very difficult circumstances.

Than there are the loving and supportive dads, which might be the more appropriate (but less fun) Father's Day list. Soichiro Yagami from Death Note (poor guy), Madoka's dad from Magica, Sakura's dad, Card Captor Sakura, Ichigo's dad, Bleach- he was kind of a jerk, though. He could be on a list of best super dads! (There are a lot of dads in anime, is what I'm saying).
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 12:29 pm Reply with quote
I didn't see Mytho from Princess Tutu as the only count against him I can see is the fact he's too young to have flowing hair but he scores well on the rest. He's even elegant in just a man's dress shirt.

Uh, yeah. Right.

Ah, the poll. I picked Medusa but I forget: was Washu from Tenchi Muyo listed? Honestly, she's not that different from Medusa for using her offspring as a experimental test subject but with less reason and like Prescia, she used her science to create a replacement doppledaughter, in her case by combining her egg with a blob monster rather than an outright clone, whom she tortures for whatever reason.

In fact, the OVA series ended on the torture scene for the longest time. Hey, I found a positive for the third OVA series.

And then there's forcing her daughter Ryoko to join with her robot clone, seducing the object of her daughter's affections, being a general brat to everyone...

Ok, she's more Mad Scientist than Mother but that just makes her a Sufficiently Advanced Witch...

If she was there, I should have picked her.
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 1:40 pm Reply with quote
How could you forget Prince Phil, from Slayers? I guess it must be the complete lack of elegance.
corinthian

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 4:55 pm Reply with quote
I'm sure she'll get overshadowed by more popular and recent series, but to me Misaki Aoyagi from Loveless is the most evil mother due to how realistic she is. She's clearly mentally unsound, and the few brief times she's seen or mentioned she's screaming, breaking something, or abusing Ritsuka physically and mentally. And if I recall correctly there is also the trope of the repentant abuser, apologizing for their actions but continuing to do them. For all the fantasy elements in the series, the biggest initial threat to the main character is entirely mundane and believable.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 7:10 pm Reply with quote
Dunno if it counts mothers trying to kill their children, e.g. Sara from Now and Then, Here and There.
Oraculo

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Philistiines! Twisted Evil Hotohori always wins!!! Why? Two reasons: (1) Takehito (2) Koyasu. Anime hyper Any other arguments are moot. Razz
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2