• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sword Art Online II (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bugnin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:09 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
I also thought that the aspect of the scene in question was overdone and a bit manipulative - at first.

However, my viewpoint has changed as news has come out about similar circumstances actually playing out IRL over the weekend (IOW, practically concurrent with that episode airing) in FFIV. As over-the-top as that part of the scene may have seemed, it has, ironically, turned out to be more true-to-life than it was probably ever intended to be.

I got a laugh at the idea of certain people here telling that poor guy's family that they were being "emotionally manipulative" by making that happen.

Gotta cling to your agenda whatever it takes, I guess....
Dessa

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:17 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
I also thought that the aspect of the scene in question was overdone and a bit manipulative - at first.

However, my viewpoint has changed as news has come out about similar circumstances actually playing out IRL over the weekend (IOW, practically concurrent with that episode airing) in FFIV. As over-the-top as that part of the scene may have seemed, it has, ironically, turned out to be more true-to-life than it was probably ever intended to be.

*points to her post at the top of page 109*

That's why I had such high emotions when I posted my reply to MaxSouth. I was watching it happen, as I gave what emotional support I could to my friends who were extremely close with him. Even watching the episode last night was "too soon" for me.

I was actually about to start the episode when I found out about Tai/Yggdrasilly/Codex Vahldra. Then I put away my anime, and sat for over 5 hours in the twitch channel of the vigil, showing my support, and getting a hold of as many of my friends who had been part of the same FFXI Linkshell as him (they hadn't been able to get onto the same server in FFXIV) and making sure they were okay.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:17 pm Reply with quote
Bugnin wrote:

I got a laugh at the idea of certain people here telling that poor guy's family that they were being "emotionally manipulative" by making that happen.

Gotta cling to your agenda whatever it takes, I guess....

Yup, there's nothing to my opinion but a dark and malevolent hater agenda. You're as perceptive as ever, my evil plans of world domination through the power of differing opinions have been uncovered. Whatever will I do. Rolling Eyes
Chiibi

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:55 pm Reply with quote
Wait, wait, I'm out of the loop. Can you guys elaborate about the FFIV incident? o_o
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:05 pm Reply with quote
check out Dessa's post on the top of page 109
Ohoni

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 2:42 am Reply with quote
Quote:

Lol, it's not "manipulative" that it's happening in real life, it's only perhaps manipulative when it's used in fiction to manipulate the emotions of the viewer. You're sort of mixing things up.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:40 am Reply with quote
I find it somewhat hilarious that just as the show is ending on this emotionally poignant moment, we get a SAO ad background on the ANN site showing ENORMOUS boobs and butts of the various girls barely covered by swim wear and looking teasingly at the viewer :3
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:27 am Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
we get a SAO ad background on the ANN site showing ENORMOUS boobs and butts of the various girls barely covered by swim wear and looking teasingly at the viewer :3

Somehow somebody along the line nixed the idea of doing the ad with emaciated Yuuki in her medical tank. Go figure.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:37 am Reply with quote
Or they could have just decided not to include her because she wasn't part of Extra Edition?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:53 am Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
I find it somewhat hilarious that just as the show is ending on this emotionally poignant moment, we get a SAO ad background on the ANN site showing ENORMOUS boobs and butts of the various girls barely covered by swim wear and looking teasingly at the viewer :3

I ain't complaining.

I might have thought so many people showing up was over the top if Yuuki was some no name player. Her open challenge alone would have connected her with a ton of people, and the opening montage shows her rubbing elbows with major players.

What's a bit less believable is that so many people gathered on such short notice.
Oroboro

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Here's an article covering the event in question.

http://www.siliconera.com/2014/12/22/multiple-servers-in-final-fantasy-xiv-pay-tribute-to-a-dying-player/

I know similar things have happened in other MMOs in the past too.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Just watched the finale a little while ago. Loved it. I really didn't expect the show to bobble the ball at the end but it was nice to have the confirmation. I'd say Mother's Rosario is my favourite arc, but it is a little bit like comparing apples and oranges. Obviously, the main purpose of MR was the feels as opposed to rompin' stompin' action, but damn, I just feel the whole arc was brought off beautifully.

I originally got hooked into anime shortly after the death of my stepmother from cancer. I think one of the reasons anime imprinted on me so strongly during this period was because some of the shows have an interesting take on death. I feel like this arc had some really powerful points to make on the subject. I loved when Yuuki talked about how for a long time she wasn't sure what the purpose of her being alive was, but by the end, she understood and was grateful. I loved when Asuna said she'd take what she learned from Yuuki and use it to inspire the hearts of others she will meet.

Yeah, for my money, the MR arc is the most surehanded of them all from a writing perspective.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:44 am Reply with quote
Theron:

It is double case of people not being able to carefully read what is written and yet issuing insults:

Chiibi wrote:
MaxSouth wrote:
And no wonder; how come anyone could not believe in after-life for a bacteria, a cockroach, or a mice, but all of sudden believe in after-life for humans,

Because bacteria, bugs, and mice don't have souls, you bloody idiot..

Look here, I'm Christian and you're being incredibly offensive. Keep your inconsiderate comments to YOURSELF, if you please.

Did you read well? You took the my phrase out of context. I mentioned that human in its form has evolved from simpler creatures according to evolution because the context was that over sixty percent of Japanese believe in evolution, so no wonder they do not believe in spoiler[after-life]. And there are no "souls" in evolution.

There is no point where science-respecting people among those more than sixty percent go to muse like that: "All right, ancient mice still did not go to the spoiler[after-life], but what about ancient ape? Did human become able to go to the spoiler[after-life] just one hundred thousand years ago or Neanderthal man already could?"

Quote:
Quote:
Question, are you incredibly unpopular with people MaxSouth? Because I really think you should not interact with children suffering from terminal illnesses.

I second that. Keep him away from the elderly too.

[EDIT: Inappropriate, directly insulting language removed. - Key]

I never wrote that anyone had to talk with the spoiler[dying] character if she believes in spoiler[after-life]. On the contrary, I have already explained that other characters should have discussed spoiler[the death] between themselves to make the episode deeper, more serious, not superficial.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:40 pm Reply with quote
MaxSouth wrote:
over sixty percent of Japanese believe in evolution, so no wonder they do not believe in spoiler[after-life].

Where is your source of information even coming from? Do you study Japanese beliefs and superstitions at all?
I do and you're freaking wrong.

Quote:
And there are no "souls" in evolution.

Says who?

This is the same culture that happens to believe that you should NEVER leave a cat with a dying person because the cat will swallow the soul and turn into a demon.

This is the same culture where TAXI drivers will not go near Shirogane Tunnel because the shinigami (grim reaper who collects SOULS) awaits them on the other side.

THIS is the same culture that respects the dead so bloody much that they set aside days to honor them, leave gifts at the graves including actual food DAILY, and make shrines to them in their own households to make sure their souls are at peace.

When people pass away, it's customary to say ご冥福をお祈りします。
Gomeifuku wo inorimasu
WHICH TRANSLATES TO
" I PRAY FOR THEIR HAPPINESS IN THE NEXT WORLD."

YES, JAPANESE BELIEVE IN SOULS. THEY BELIEVE IN AFTER-LIFE. DO SOME FREAKING RESEARCH.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:51 pm Reply with quote
Sorry, MaxSouth, but when it comes to ignoring context, you really have no room to complain. You seem unable to comprehend exactly why the comments you made were offending people, and you seem unwilling to acknowledge that some of the things you are talking about aren't mutually exclusive. I know plenty of people who fully regard evolution as fact and still won't deny the existence of souls or an afterlife, for instance.

Now, this line of conversation ends, as it is not going to any good place at all.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 111 of 115